Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:03 PM

11 posts, read 22,023 times

Advertisements

car hits house got a police report i never been through this and im paying mortgage .im contacting the drivers insurance because it was not my fault. wanted to know do i need to report this to home owners insurance since it wasnt my fault and i'm going through drivers insurance?
who get paid me or the lender since im paying mortgage?

any other info that you think i need to know would really help since i never been through this before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
I would contact both. And, you should do it now, they usually have operators that answer at night too. What will happen is on the phone, choose the option to report an accident. The insurance company will have their insurance adjuster come look at your property and the same will happen when you report to your car insurance company. The insurance adjuster may come tomorrow or it may take a few days, you'll know when you call an estimated time...and you will also be given their number. If they don't come when they are supposed to, call your company again.
They will both be deciding what your damages are. They will likely expect you to get a couple of estimates for the damages to both your car and your home. So, you'll likely want to ask friends or family for references for both these things. Then your insurance adjuster decides how much, minus your deductible to pay you for the damages to both your home and your car.
But you should clarify please, whether you hit your own house with your own car?
Or, was there another car involved?? If there was, you should get the police report and the insurance contact information for the other party, and contact your insurance company and give them that information. Your insurance company will contact them and figure out how much you are owed.
Sorry, best that I can do not knowing the full story. Good luck to you.

Last edited by JanND; 02-07-2013 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: edit text

Old 02-07-2013, 08:53 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
The driver's insurance company should pay you to have your house fixed, they will not pay the bank to fix your house....

Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
The driver's insurance company should pay you to have your house fixed, they will not pay the bank to fix your house....
That was a hell of alot simpler than the first answer above yours.

Last edited by cape_fisherman; 02-07-2013 at 09:25 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 09:21 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
IF the damage of over $X (20K but varies by mortgage company) , they will probably make the check payable to both you and your mortgage company.

Your Mortgage Company has a vested interest in making sure you fix there house. (Keep in mind it not 'your' house till the mortgage is paid off) .

Old 02-07-2013, 10:03 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
That was a hell of alot simpler than the first answer above yours.
You know me simple and to the point, kinda like a poke in the eye with a sharp stick....

Old 02-07-2013, 10:08 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Contact your insurance and they will make sure the other guys pay.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:17 PM

178 posts, read 329,412 times
No help here at all, and I'm sorry you went through this, but all I can think about is the Everybody Loves Raymond episode when Marie and Frank drive through their house.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:58 AM

115 posts, read 222,063 times
One correction to what "flyonpa" said. South Carolina is a "lien theory" state. The purchaser owns the house. The lender has an interest, but that interest is a lien against the house.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:41 AM

870 posts, read 1,987,543 times
Contact your homeowners insurance. They will either take care of this from there OR advise you on your next step. Unless you have insurance through a no name fly by night company, they won't have a problem holding your hand. Unless you stop making your mortgage payments, your bank doesn't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area