Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:50 PM

7 posts, read 9,373 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. My wife and I are looking to move to Charleston. The plan is for me to find work first as my wife is covering my insurence. We sold our house and the only thing left is to find work. I have been in B to B sales for the same Co for 26 years. I have been searching Monsta, Career builder, Indeed, and craigs list for the past year with not much luck. Does anyone know of a recruiter that may be of some help? Has anyone used a temp service? It is hard to look from up in Mass but I know Employers frown on people who have been out of work as well so I have been reluctant to just quit and move down. I am very open to changing careers as I am good working with my hands. I have some family who live there so I can move fast if need be. Just currious how others have handled this. I do not want to spend another winter up here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 07:15 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,333,322 times
What is your area of expertise in B2B?

Old 08-15-2012, 07:35 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,953 times
I moved from MA and had a job lined up before I came here. All I did was search the typical sites (craigslist, indeed, careerbuilder, usajobs, and SC state jobs) and also searched for big places I wanted to work and just found an email address and emailed my resume. I had two interviews when I flew down. The first one was from a posting on careerbuilder, and the second was from randomly emailing my resume. At the same time I was searching for a new job in MA. I had more response from SC than I did from MA employers, even if it was to just acknowledge my email and wish me luck with finding a job. It took me around two months to find a job once I seriously started looking. I don't think you will have a problem finding a job before you get here, it just might take a little time.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:36 AM

47 posts, read 80,648 times
What is B and B sales? don't understand the terminology.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:38 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,020,729 times
Check with AppleOne and Charles Foster for temp agencies. Those will get your foot in the door locally. Much easier to say on with a firm after you've temped with them and both of those come highly recommended.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:51 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,356,551 times
B2B Sales is "Business to Business Sales"

Old 09-02-2012, 08:06 AM

Default Looking for work in Charleston

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
What is your area of expertise in B2B?
Yes it is B 2 B selling poly foam and related products to the mattress and Furniture manufactureres. I am not affraid to try something new and totally different. I am also good with my hands as I have some carpentry skills and upholstery skills and a basic knowledge in automotive although somewhat dated. Thought about Lowes as a last resort but at least they offer insurance. Not afraid to work nights and weekends either. The beach is there everyday 24/7

Old 09-02-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
Check with AppleOne and Charles Foster for temp agencies. Those will get your foot in the door locally. Much easier to say on with a firm after you've temped with them and both of those come highly recommended.
Thanks for the info. I have heard of those and will check into them. I am planning a trip down around the 3rd week in October so I will try to meet with them as well as another co that said they would like to meet me even though they don't have an opening right now.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
I moved from MA and had a job lined up before I came here. All I did was search the typical sites (craigslist, indeed, careerbuilder, usajobs, and SC state jobs) and also searched for big places I wanted to work and just found an email address and emailed my resume. I had two interviews when I flew down. The first one was from a posting on careerbuilder, and the second was from randomly emailing my resume. At the same time I was searching for a new job in MA. I had more response from SC than I did from MA employers, even if it was to just acknowledge my email and wish me luck with finding a job. It took me around two months to find a job once I seriously started looking. I don't think you will have a problem finding a job before you get here, it just might take a little time.
Thanks for the encouragement. I just got dropped from cosideration again this week because I am not down there NOW! I sent them a letter explaining that I can move anytime. We have no kids, sold our house last year, own land in Mt Pleasant, have cash to buy another house, and several places to live in the mean time. I am more than willing to change careers and try something new but most employers want experience and the "perfect" fit. Funny though, I have been offered 3 different jobs up here in Ma recently. I suppose I would have something to come back to if all else fails. I am living in central Ma now. Where did you live?

Old 09-02-2012, 11:06 AM

870 posts, read 1,679,093 times
Where r u from in MA? (we moved here in the spring from MA)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area