Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:23 PM

14 posts, read 16,688 times

Advertisements

Moving from NYC to Charleston in the summer. First and foremost, we will need minimum of a two-bedroom (have a 7 y.o.). Our budget is around $2k. I'll be working in the FLETC area and she's a nurse. Used to NYC commute times, so short commute would be nice, but not an absolute must.

We're looking for a city-like area to rent, preferably an apartment. Area needs to be decent, doesn't have to be stellar (as long as it's safe, it will do). Prefer bars, restaurants etc. within a walking distance. We would like to avoid any area that resembles suburbs.

Any suggestions on what areas to start looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 07:50 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
Start with a map - really. Your "city" criteria places you only on the peninsula of Charleston, which certainly is a lovely place to be!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,591,525 times
Not city, but maybe down by Shem Creek? There are several bar/restaurants right there that you could walk to. I think there is some sort of apartment place right there. If you really are dead set on city, Joyeaux is right, the peninsula is it.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:43 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,322,821 times
Yep X3 on the Peninsula.....

Old 02-12-2013, 06:55 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
Yes, at Shem Creek, on Coleman Blvd in Mt Pleasant, the town has rezoned by placing an "urban corridor overlay" there. This allows for more "density". It has shopping up & down Coleman & it encourages the "sidewalk cafe" concept for restaurants. There's a large apartment complex currently being built that would not have been allowed under old zoning.
But you're certainly not in a city atmosphere. Take my word for it -- I lived in NYC in Tudor City on 41 St for many years. The Old Village of Mt P nearby would be at best a Larchmont or Scarsdale type suburb, not cookie cutter new LI suburb.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:12 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,349,810 times
You're going to be working in the Old Navy Yard area I believe. That area of North Charleston isn't the best place to live. There is some revitalization going on as newer industry and professional services moves in, but it remains one of the more impoverished areas. The city really hasn't done a great job on capitalizing on it's opportunities when the gov turned that land over. It is around the corner from an area that has some good restaurants (Cork, DIG, EVO), but you will need a car to get to and from work if you plan on living downtown.

If you're wife can get a job at Roper or MUSC then then there are some areas where she could easily bike to work.

The question is going to be schools. What are your expectations for schools? Are you planning public or private? Personally I'm leary of the public schools for a second grader in some of the sections you're looking at living. There are some bright spots, but some very dim ones too. If your child is into the arts, there is a magnet middle school around where you will be working.

I know you don't seem fond of the suburbs, but it's because of the schools that most people move there. I'd rather add 40 mins a day in commute time, plus higher property costs, to ensure my children get a good education.

But just to set the expectation, Charleston city isn't NY city. Meaning our city living isn't exactly like a large metropolitan city living. Many of my co-workers that live downtown don't live around the college areas so while they are 'downtown' they're easily 4-6 blocks from a bar or restaurant. They tend to bike.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Start with a map - really. Your "city" criteria places you only on the peninsula of Charleston, which certainly is a lovely place to be!
Right, but where exactly on the peninsula? Cursory CL search shows prices around 4k and so in the very lower tip of the peninsula. Way more than our budget.

Another big hit is that nurses apparently don't get nearly as much as they get in NYC.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
You're going to be working in the Old Navy Yard area I believe. That area of North Charleston isn't the best place to live. There is some revitalization going on as newer industry and professional services moves in, but it remains one of the more impoverished areas. The city really hasn't done a great job on capitalizing on it's opportunities when the gov turned that land over. It is around the corner from an area that has some good restaurants (Cork, DIG, EVO), but you will need a car to get to and from work if you plan on living downtown.

If you're wife can get a job at Roper or MUSC then then there are some areas where she could easily bike to work.

The question is going to be schools. What are your expectations for schools? Are you planning public or private? Personally I'm leary of the public schools for a second grader in some of the sections you're looking at living. There are some bright spots, but some very dim ones too. If your child is into the arts, there is a magnet middle school around where you will be working.

I know you don't seem fond of the suburbs, but it's because of the schools that most people move there. I'd rather add 40 mins a day in commute time, plus higher property costs, to ensure my children get a good education.

But just to set the expectation, Charleston city isn't NY city. Meaning our city living isn't exactly like a large metropolitan city living. Many of my co-workers that live downtown don't live around the college areas so while they are 'downtown' they're easily 4-6 blocks from a bar or restaurant. They tend to bike.
4-6 blocks away is absolutely fine. I'm fine with public schools, but if they are truly terrible, private may be an option.

I'm having really hard time narrowing down areas that fit out budget. Any suggestions as to where to look?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM

93 posts, read 215,289 times
Look in the mid-peninsula either side of upper King St. (Elliotborough/Cannonborough areas); that's roughly between Calhoun St. and the Crosstown (17). This area, and those adjacent, is about as urban as it gets in Charleston. Keep in mind that this is a city roughly the size of New Haven or Bridgeport, with the nearest metro area of 1 million+ being Charlotte (3 hrs.).

Old 02-20-2013, 12:16 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,955,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herzzreh View Post
Right, but where exactly on the peninsula? Cursory CL search shows prices around 4k and so in the very lower tip of the peninsula. Way more than our budget.

Another big hit is that nurses apparently don't get nearly as much as they get in NYC.
Nor do they get as much as they do in North Carolina or even in other parts of South Carolina. Charleston wages are fairly poor. This has been "our" experience. Everyone sees things differently.

My wife had been at a hospital in a rural/military town in NC for just over a year (so still a "new" employee) and took about an $8/hour pay cut when moving to Charleston. And for "us" the cost of living is much higher here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area