Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 07:58 AM

8 posts, read 16,664 times

Advertisements

Hello all

We will be in Summerville this coming Tuesday to look at 4 Apartment homes. We are from Chicago but will be traveling that day from West Columbia, SC

Can anyone tell me in which order I should schedule my visit at these places based on location so I'm not driving all over the place? I believe a few of them are close and one is farther out but I really have no idea as I have never been to Summerville Thank you for any help

Here are the places we will be looking at:

Kilnsea Village
9690 Dorchester Rd

Avanna at Westcott
9580 Old Glory Ln

Vista Sands
1001 Bear Island Rd

Farmington Village
2100 Farm Springs Rd

Thanks again cyndi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 09:38 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
google maps

Old 02-16-2013, 11:23 AM

177 posts, read 478,827 times
Kilnsea Village and Avanna @ Wescott are within a couple of miles of each other on one end of town while Vista Sands and Farmington are within a couple of miles of each other at the other end of town.

If I were coming from Columbia, I'd hop right off the Interstate at Exit 199 and hit Vista Sands and Farmington first. Then I'd go through the town of Summerville down Main St to Five Points, turn left and go down Trolley Road to Dorchester. Turn left on Dorchester, pass 2 lights and turn at your third light at Gerald's...this will take you right to Kilnsea. When you are done there, just go back to Dorchester, turn left, go to the next stoplight (by Lowes) turn left and Avanna is right there on your right.

Hope you enjoy your visit and find what you are looking for!

Old 02-16-2013, 12:25 PM

246 posts, read 518,557 times
I believe the first two complexes are in Dorchester County and the latter two are Berkeley County. This could make a difference to you if there are children of school age. The driving directions you were given above are excellent and will give you a good look at 'Downtown Summerville'.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:15 PM

8 posts, read 16,664 times
Google maps was not as helpful as I had hoped. Texsoninsc that is absolutely perfect Thank you, we are very excited for our visit! Kathy29483 Thank You as well!

Old 02-16-2013, 03:05 PM

177 posts, read 478,827 times
Like Kathy says, the location could make a huge difference if you have school aged kids...if you want to share more, there are a lot of folks here ready to help, or just peruse the forums...there are a lot of folks coming to our beautiful area that have asked a lot of specific questions.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:19 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=9...=h&mra=ls&z=12

3 minutes worth of my own time on Google.

Not sure what more you could ask for.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:00 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Vista Sands and The Traditions are right across Hwy 17A from each other with Vista Sands being behind Dick's Sporting Goods and The Traditions Being behind Walmart.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:20 AM

288 posts, read 494,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndilee View Post

Avanna at Westcott
9580 Old Glory Ln
We lived here for 11 months until April 2012, but at the time it was called "Windsor Club at Wescott Plantation". It still has the same management and parent company, even though the name has changed.

The community looks really nice at first, but there are some issues. For one, the right side front gates regularly break down and simply will not work. I can't tell you how many times we were either stuck outside, or stuck inside the complex and had to use the alternate exit/entry gate. The trash compactor broke three times during our stay, and it took them two weeks to repair each time. This meant a massive pile of garbage collected over-top and along the side of its enclosure. While the pool looks nice at first, its more often REALLY dirty.

Your internet and cable options are EXTREMELY limited. You are stuck with DirecTV which is awful, because they use a small central dish at the main office for all the apartments. It was a common grumble between neighbors that you would loose signal pretty often - even on perfect cloudless days. On the internet front, you are limited to a base tier AT&T DSL - 1.5Mbps at best - and don't let them lie to you and tell you anything different. I can't fathom how you build a modern apartment complex and don't pull in the necessary connections...

On TWO separate occasions, they're maintenance crew came in to our apartment without any notice at all. One of those times was when my wife was home alone, and it gave her quite a scare. They of course apologized and said these people were in fact subcontractors...also that the notice must have blown away or been taken off our buildings doors by kids. Riiight, those damn kids these days.

Parking is HORRIBLE. I mean by no exaggeration at all, you will have trouble finding a spot after 5PM on most days unless you pay for a garage w/ driveway spot. Management will insist that they have the "legally allowable number of parking spaces"...

On the upside, the apartments themselves are pretty nice - the faux wood floors that are optional look great, and the kitchens are small, but nice enough. Depending on which side of the complex your on, you may or may not have noise from the elementary school which is literally 100 feet away. In either case, you WILL deal with its traffic in the morning and afternoons.

One of the best and worst qualities of this place is the pet policy. Its good if you have larger dogs or more then 1 or 2 (they allow up to 3 and virtually any weight). The bad part is residents wont pick up after there pets, even though they have clean-up stations placed throughout the grassy areas. They also have a fully fenced in dog run area, which is really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area