Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 12:33 PM

81 posts, read 234,555 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Charleston to finish school, my main entry is College of Charleston. Charleston Southern would not appeal, so are there any community colleges I can take classes incase CoC initially rejects my application?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 07:32 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,044,300 times
Trident Technical College is here and has a great reputation, I would recommend going there for a year or so anyway. It's a pretty big community college too, so there are activities and things to do, even if it isn't the "traditional 4 year experience" with dorms and all that. You save money, and most colleges are pretty lenient when accepting transfer students from community colleges. Plus, TTC has several campuses and you still get the experience of living in Charleston, you're not downtown but it's an easy drive there.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:21 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,945,873 times
Alot of people get their 4-year by doing 2 years at a community college taking basic/transfer courses. Then it's 2 years at the university. Saves a ton of $$$.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:45 PM

119 posts, read 300,810 times
I currently teach at Trident Tech. I was initially a little skeptical about teaching at a community college, but I must say that TTC really is an AMAZINGLY affordable top notch education. (... and I'm not just saying that because I work there.)

From my experience in advising students I can say that TTC's credits are widely transferable. That being said, I would strongly advise that you get in touch with, and stay in touch with, an advisor at your CHOSEN college (CofC?) so that you can communicate with them to ensure that you are taking the proper classes at TTC which will fulfill the degree requirements of your program of study at (I'm assuming) CofC.
Good luck in your studies!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,945,873 times
There is nothing wrong with community colleges. I'm not very familiar with the South Carolina system where they have around 16 campuses, but I am familiar with the North Carolina system and their 58 campuses. It is an excellent resource for degrees, continuing education, transfers, and vocations. I have two friends that teach part-time at their local college. They are two of the best boat builders I know and the college (and students) are very lucky to have them as a resource in their marine department.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 PM

217 posts, read 572,306 times
You say you're moving here to finish school, so I'm confused as to why you're looking at community colleges. You can't finish a bachelors degree at a two-year school. Trident has good academics if you're interested in getting an associates degree, however, there is a lot of red tape and the administrative staff there are far less than helpful.

Charleston doesn't have that many options in terms of 4-year degrees for the conventional student. CSU requires students to live on campus til age 21 or marriage which is unpopular for most students. Additionally, they require certain religious credits, which is unpopular if you're not a religious person. The Citadel is a military-style school, which definitely doesn't work for everyone, but the academics are good and I've heard good things about their masters programs. The Art Institute is kind of in their own realm, being a very small art school. My degrees, for instance, would never been offered there. College of Charleston is the most conventional option out of the four local 4-year institutions, however, student housing is sparse, the female:male ratio is completely disproportionate, and if you don't have the grades to get into the school, you're kind of out of luck.

You may have more luck trying to finish your degree through a USC online program if you can't get into CofC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area