Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:41 PM

23 posts, read 37,743 times

Advertisements

wait, wait, wait a minute... when I pulled that up I didn't wait for the map to change before snapping the screen shot. Doh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 02:56 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
You can do alternate routes in Google maps with little effort!
Yeah, once you get here you will quickly learn that alternate routes are limited. It was pretty easy for me to memorize them all (Or should I say BOTH?). We pay for all that water and pretty marsh views with driving routes we can count on one hand.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:07 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
Yeah, once you get here you will quickly learn that alternate routes are limited. It was pretty easy for me to memorize them all (Or should I say BOTH?). We pay for all that water and pretty marsh views with driving routes we can count on one hand.
I meant in general...

Old 02-22-2013, 03:15 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I meant in general...
I know, I'm just saying...

I learned to drive in a city with countless options for getting from point A to point B. It is definitely not like that around here.

For fun I went and looked at my home town in Google traffic maps. There sure was a LOT of red for 2:30 in the afternoon, even with all those nifty escape routes. We may complain about traffic around here, but it sure is good to be here!

Last edited by roxanneself; 02-22-2013 at 03:26 PM..

Old 02-22-2013, 04:08 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
It's funny when talking to locals, at least in my experience, when they try to "complain". The whole conversation always ends with "but I'd never move anywhere else."

Old 02-22-2013, 05:10 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,591,759 times
I like to look at the traffic cams:

South Carolina Traffic Cameras

SCDOT - Cooper River Bridge - Cameras

Old 02-22-2013, 07:21 PM

870 posts, read 1,986,997 times
There is an app called Waze. Users update traffic as they go. You can put in accidents, cops etc. whatever you see and it will warn you when stuff is coming up. It's also a ridiculously accurate GPS that has yet to get me lost (as I look angrily at VZ Navigator....)

Old 02-22-2013, 07:30 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,638,340 times
Remember the SCDOT has the traffic cameras in the Interstates......

South Carolina Traffic Cameras

Old 02-23-2013, 06:59 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,181,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
There is an app called Waze. Users update traffic as they go. You can put in accidents, cops etc. whatever you see and it will warn you when stuff is coming up. It's also a ridiculously accurate GPS that has yet to get me lost (as I look angrily at VZ Navigator....)
I was going to mention waze. I think the directions aren't good but the traffic data is good and real time from those experiencing it. If it was more popular, it would even be more helpful. Im not on the road much so don't use it for much but it could be helpful for those who are on the road often.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:20 AM

870 posts, read 1,986,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
I was going to mention waze. I think the directions aren't good but the traffic data is good and real time from those experiencing it. If it was more popular, it would even be more helpful. Im not on the road much so don't use it for much but it could be helpful for those who are on the road often.
I only have two issues with the directions.

First, it will sometimes tell me I'm there a block or two early. Not a huge deal but it's a little confusing at times if buildings aren't marked well.

The other issue is that Waze gives you multiple options and if you don't pick one, it picks one for you. The default option isn't always the best, shortest, fastest or most direct and changing it while you're driving isn't always (or ever) safe. For example: if I'm in Murrells Inlet and tell it to take me home, the most direct route is down 17 through Georgetown but Waze will want me to go through Conway, over to Lake City and down 52. If I don't tell it otherwise (I forget sometimes) I have to listen to it telling me to turn around all the way through Pawley's Island until it figures out that I'm not going through Conway. Defaulting to the most direct route would be nice. The upside is that it WILL eventually learn your preferences if you use it enough.

It's one of the better GPS apps I've used yet and the road treats and the ability to "level up" add a game dimension to it which makes it fun and less boring than just driving around.

It's nice that it can warn you about traffic problems but it would be nice if had a route around option for major obstacles. I'd like to come up on a traffic jam and hit a button to tell it to find me a way around the problem rather than just warning me that it's there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area