Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 05:29 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times

Advertisements

Hundreds of workers at Boeing's new Dreamliner factory in North Charleston could soon be out of a job.

The Wall Street Journal online is reporting that Boeing is planning massive cuts as part of a cost-reduction initiative.

Report: Boeing plans to cut hundreds of workers from SC plant - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Hope this doesn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 05:30 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
We were chatting about this at dinner tonight....all that 'battery' stuff is catching up with them I guess.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:59 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Not really... they are just cutting out contractors, from the article

Quote:
The cuts primarily target workers employed at the plant through outside contractors, although Boeing also would reduce internal staff positions by not replacing some workers who leave or are promoted.

Even still, for example, I know a contractor, that her contract is up and not being renewed. But then a guy in my job is changing departments to work the same job as the Contractor, kind of a promotion I guess.

They also put up a posting for my position about a week or two ago, so they are actually hiring more people.

There were large amounts of contractors in tthe older charleston buildings. They have been slowly lowering those numbers for years. Some of those guys made small forturnes, working long hours as contractors.

Even better alot of Contractors that are being laid off.... are being hired on as direct employees to fullfill their previous positions.

For a company laying off they are still asking ALOT of people to work overtime. Granted then backed off of some of the Mandatory overtime to voluntary.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:20 PM

Yeah it was in the works before the battery thingy. If they are hiring why didn't Boeing release that info.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:32 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yeah it was in the works before the battery thingy. If they are hiring why didn't Boeing release that info.
That would require the reporter to actually do some research instead of just reprinting an article from another news source. Plus, it wouldn't sound nearly so dramatic. Who knows what Boeing actually released to the reporter who wrote the initial story.
It's frustrating that you can't just take a news story at face value, but I think those days are long gone, if they ever existed at all.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:00 PM

Boeing has chosen to 'decline comment'....WSJ: Boeing to lay off hundreds of N. Charleston workers - WCBD-TV: News, Weather, and Sports for Charleston, SC

Boeing needs to issue a press release with the facts - 20% is a big chunk...and that's the rumor.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:29 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Can't say for the office types, but for mechanics that hold there weight, putting hands on the airplanes.... I highly doubt they will be cutting many, at least offer them positions in other areas on the site. They are expanding the aft body building, the midvody is really working hard and the -9 is getting started.

Trimming some dead weight and fat? Maybe, but you don't really see layoffs on a site buying up land, construction everywhere, and a lack of parkedng every day.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-28-2013, 07:35 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Can't say for the office types, but for mechanics that hold there weight, putting hands on the airplanes.... I highly doubt they will be cutting many, at least offer them positions in other areas on the site. They are expanding the aft body building, the midvody is really working hard and the -9 is getting started.

Trimming some dead weight and fat? Maybe, but you don't really see layoffs on a site buying up land, construction everywhere, and a lack of parkedng every day.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Getting ready to start the DreamLifter line?

Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Not really... they are just cutting out contractors, from the article

Even still, for example, I know a contractor, that her contract is up and not being renewed. But then a guy in my job is changing departments to work the same job as the Contractor, kind of a promotion I guess.

They also put up a posting for my position about a week or two ago, so they are actually hiring more people.

There were large amounts of contractors in tthe older charleston buildings. They have been slowly lowering those numbers for years. Some of those guys made small forturnes, working long hours as contractors.

Even better alot of Contractors that are being laid off.... are being hired on as direct employees to fullfill their previous positions.

For a company laying off they are still asking ALOT of people to work overtime. Granted then backed off of some of the Mandatory overtime to voluntary.
I think this says alot. The report is that no actual Boeing employees are being laid off. They are reducing their contracted employee force.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:16 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
They have 17 jobs posted on BES for the facility here...

https://jobs.boeing.com/JobSeeker/JobSearch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area