Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 07:03 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Have a workplace associate that moved to "The Palms" apt complex off of Orange Grove in WA. I have heard ugly about this area; now, have laid my own eyes on it.
It is decent looking. All buildings are in process of getting new roofs. And the apt maintenance staff seems to be around in their golf carts checking all. Grass is cut & it does look nice.
My associate moved there with his family (from NE) because he saw a park across the street with playground, tennis court & (in my mind, I hope) no thugs visible.
Hopefully, what I've read about the area will not pan out come Summer.

So ... anyone have first hand info about The Palms?

I just don't want this family to be surprised or ... thanks.
I drive past it a lot. It's in a prime location for being close to things. Close to I-26, Sam Rittenburg, Hwy 17. I really wish we'd considered it instead of ShadowMoss, but like you we heard negative things about the area. Living here though I don't think it's a really bad area and that is a cute little playground there . Granted I haven't lived there but I drive through with my doors unlocked and would run in that neighborhood and feel comfortable running there.

As far as apartment buildings and maintenance go, sometimes the more expensive ones aren't necessarily better. We paid a lot of money each month for our apartment and the amenities and maintenance, though included, were definitely sub-par.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 07:17 PM

324 posts, read 807,525 times
I have a few friends who live in the Palms and I had also considered it for myself. Their floorplans didn't work for me but pricing was good for the amount of space and most have bonus rooms. My friend has lived there for a few years and has small children. She loves the complex and close proximity to Mary Utsey park. Since I live off Ashley Hall rd I frequent Mary Utsey park often with my four year old. There is lots of room for her to run and a good area to fly a kite. Kids playing basketball can get loud sometimes but to me that's part of the sport. The neighborhood running down Orange Grove road and down Ashley Hall road towards Ashley Hall plantation is mostly nice suburban houses with some lower income duplexes mixed in. But by a large part mostly middle class suburban neighborhood. It actually reminds me a lot of my home town in NJ due to a large mix of Catholic and Jewish families in the neighborhood. There is a Jewish retirement home, Jewish community center, and St. Joseph's Catholic Church right next to each other along Wallenberg blvd.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:04 PM

41 posts, read 60,916 times
I've lived in the Palms for a over a year, and my girlfriend and I love it here. We take our dog on a walk everyday back through the neighborhoods that back up to the river bank, and for the price, its the best apt in Charleston. The complex is huge, but management has been upgrading like crazy. A recently vacated unit got all the carpet replaced with hardwood laminate, and the bathroom was gutted and renovated. Needless to say, it wasn't a vacant unit for long. I couldn't be happier in with my experience here.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:41 AM

769 posts, read 976,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Chick, are you not able to get out of the lease up there with the relo package?
There was a bunch of drama associated with it. I got a pay increase and also will be remaining part time at current job. Management just realized how much I actually did.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:59 PM

35 posts, read 98,081 times
lived in Charleston one year. been to avondale area. found the library locations in west ashley. help son move twice in west ashley.

1) walk convenience can be found in Avondale Area. also near the library. not so sure about other areas.

2). all seem safer in general than north charleston which has to be driven everywhere.

3). prices are much better than mt pleasent. but lots more restaurants in mt pleasent.

4) distance to city is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area