Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:44 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,314,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
For some, it's worth it. For lots of others, it's not. [/thread]

How dare you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 AM

119 posts, read 301,275 times
While I agree with other previous posters that no one can answer that for you except you because we all have different lifestyles and priorities, for us the choice was clear. We chose MtP for it's easy access to both Downtown AND the beaches, as well as the excellent schools for our DD. No other area surrounding CHS offered ALL 3 of these in one place. We also just felt more at home in MtP than in other areas when we came down here on vacation/fact finding missions before we moved.

I have friends in Summerville who have bigger homes than I do, and send their kids to great public schools, but they rarely get to the beach because it's "just too far." I have friends who live in W. Ashley, and James Island and while they have the easy access thing down, they're looking at sending their kids to private school. I'd say it becomes a wash when you look at house prices here with public schools v. house prices there with paying for private school.

We also take great advantage of our proximity to the beach. In warmer months we're at the beach at least once per weekend. In cooler months we still go to walk on the beach whenever the mood strikes us. As a matter of fact we had a warm spell a couple weekends ago and we took a wonderful long walk on the beach with DD and collected TONS of shells (we had had a storm the day before!) and I remember thinking to myself in a particularly contented moment watching my DD and Hubby from a distance "and THIS is exactly why we moved here." <sigh>

Short answer: a resounding YES! It's totally worth it for US.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:56 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
It seems most of us that have made the Mt. Pleasant choice do in fact 'use' the beach like we hoped to. So it's easy to see -- if the beach is why you are moving to Charleston-- then Mt. Pleasant is a good choice.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:39 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,955,902 times
We didn't choose MtP specifically for the proximity to the beach, but it is nice. We are both used to being close to the ocean/water. I lived on the water prior to moving here and my wife is from a Caribbean island. Neither of us like the idea of being far inland, but we certainly didn't have a "15 minutes from the beach" requirement. But...being no more than 15 minutes away we do get to cross the bridge quite often. We actually go more during the winter than we do during the summer. In the winter it isn't too uncommon for us to go 3-4 times per week. We would certainly go less if it took us 30 minutes to get there...much less if it took us closer to an hour to get there.

We actually chose MtP because we like the town itself. It's just a nice place to live.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:09 PM

817 posts, read 2,002,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
we actually chose mtp because we like the town itself. It's just a nice place to live.
ditto

well Charleston being the nearby city added into that equation

Old 03-08-2013, 06:50 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,591,525 times
I almost forgot another reason I like Mt. P. There is no sun in my eyes to and from work downtown! This is the first time in my life that I don't have to drive with the sun in my eyes.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:47 PM

6,416 posts, read 1,426,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
I almost forgot another reason I like Mt. P. There is no sun in my eyes to and from work downtown! This is the first time in my life that I don't have to drive with the sun in my eyes.
Do you drive an Cadillac Escalade or Bmw 700 Series?? I am sorry the sun bothers you!

No, Mt. Pleasant is not worth the money for an apartment. You can live in other areas near the beach (even a cooler beach and near the best Rivers here in Charleston , Stono River is my favorite River here, you can google it and check it out). Good salt water River. There are many apartments in the other areas that are close to downtown and other beaches that are less expensive than Mt. Pleasant if you care about rent, some of the places are very nice apartments off Harbor View rd in James Island or Folly Road, you are 10 mins to the beach / 10 mins downtown, for less than Mt. Pleasant. Good luck.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:37 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,591,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Do you drive an Cadillac Escalade or Bmw 700 Series?? I am sorry the sun bothers you!
Ummm, no I don't. My screen name doesn't give it away?

Old 03-12-2013, 03:51 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,955,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post

No, Mt. Pleasant is not worth the money for an apartment.
MtP is certainly worth the money for those looking for what it has to offer.

Do not let the bum fool you folks...he drives a luxury brand sports car.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:42 AM

6,416 posts, read 1,426,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
MtP is certainly worth the money for those looking for what it has to offer.

Do not let the bum fool you folks...he drives a luxury brand sports car.
Ha, Ha, Cape, you have me laughing!
Honda Civic Si , 2007 Coupe, 6 Speed Manual Trans, 2.0 L, 16 Valve , DOHC, Nighthawk Black, Race Header, High Flow Cat converter, HFP Sport Suspension, AEM Cold Air intake, Lightened Flywheel, Exedy Stage 1 clutch, 109,800 miles on the Si!
I am a minimalist Sir!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area