Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 02:41 PM

17 posts, read 35,844 times

Advertisements

Im moving from out of state with my wife. we have no kids. I want to get an apartment in mt pleasant due to its close access to downtown and i like the idea of short bike ride to the beach!! all the apartments ive looked are pretty expensive, even for one bedrooms. I was wondering if it is worth paying more for rent in mt p. or pay less but be further away from beach and downtown???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,279,493 times
depends on how often you want to go to the beach... and if there's anything else you like about it over other areas

Old 03-05-2013, 03:12 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,504,572 times
I chose West Ashley due to it being less expensive and its proximity to downtown. I like the beach but that's not the reason I chose to move to Charleston. I chose the area for it's downtown. You can get within a short drive to downtown from the West Ashley area (depending on location, maybe 20 minutes on a good day). But I think Folly Beach is about 30 minutes from where I live, which isn't too bad.

Also, something to think about if you have never lived in a coastal town. I lived in Myrtle Beach for college and before moving there, I thought "Oh I'm going to visit the beach ALL THE TIME!" It never happened. I went to the beach probably 5 times a year. Just something to ponder

Old 03-05-2013, 03:34 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,648,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWold View Post
I thought "Oh I'm going to visit the beach ALL THE TIME!" It never happened. I went to the beach probably 5 times a year. Just something to ponder
Just to add on I have lived near the beach my whole life. There is alot of truth to this.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:38 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,087 times
Even in MtP there are only going to be a few apartments/condos that most would consider a short bike ride to the beach. That severely limits you and likely puts you in a higher cost area.

You can purchase a small condo for less than you'll pay rent if you look for it.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:42 PM

17 posts, read 35,844 times
Well coming from boring lame nothing to do cold...ohio...i love beach. Go on vacation there twice a yearso i think i would be going frequently.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:15 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,255 times
Im a big West Ashley guy,,,James Island is good too......

Old 03-05-2013, 04:15 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,504,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanefreehauf7986 View Post
Well coming from boring lame nothing to do cold...ohio...i love beach. Go on vacation there twice a yearso i think i would be going frequently.
I'm from Pittsburgh and trust me, you'll start to take advantage of it.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:46 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Quote:
It all depends on whether or not you are willing to trade the driving distance and cost for the cost of living closer to the beach....

Once someone said the me that they bought their home in MtP because it was closer to some food store and it would bay the difference in the price of the house in the gas they saved and I actually did the math and it would take over 100 years at the gas prices then or gas would have to go up to some where near $50.00/gallon to break even in a 30 year mortgage, so look at the real numbers when you make your decision and the real fact of how much you really want to go to the beach, I know that in the summer the beach here can be brutal with traffic and the sun, but I burn to a crisp in December so I am not one to judge....

Old 03-05-2013, 05:05 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,940,469 times
Quote:
I live in West Ashley also. I will hop in the car and drive to the beach just to sit and think about things. We go to Folly for entertainment as well (I like Folly Beach over the others)

Something positive about this (WA) area also, I never realized how exceptional it would be to be close to the rivers. They're not like freshwater rivers, they have a life all thier own..amazing, and easily accessible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area