Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 12:58 PM

14 posts, read 23,415 times

Advertisements

We were going to take our 9 & 11 yr old to Charleston for a 3 night 4 day Spring trip. However, I keep hearing about the history, and the walking tours, and the scenery (that they are GREAT), but should I save this trip for just me & my husband and take the kids to somewhere with more kid-centric activities? We will not be there in swim weather (March), and I don't want to ruin the charm of Charleston with the whine of kids saying "no more walking!". I need an honest answer. Can anyone help? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 01:03 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,293,153 times
Waterside parks, Aquarium, children's museum?

Old 03-09-2013, 02:36 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,827,195 times
Okay -- here I go -- really depends on you and your kids. I know my kids at 9 and 11 would have kind of liked all the history stuff. Not for hours but they would have enjoyed it. My youngest loved going to the market --even at 9 years old.

In addition, there is the Aquarium, Patriot's Point (again my son liked it at 9), Children's Museum might be a bit young for the 11 year old. The Fort Sumter tour is cool for kids. Going on the horse and carriage is fun. We went with a 2, 9 and 11 year old years ago and they liked it just fine.

But you know your kids better than we do................

If you are driving down -- Check out Queen Anne's Revenge for dinner. Pirate theme, decent food...fun place for a family.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:37 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,493,353 times
Like others said, it depends on if your children like history. However, I wouldn't base a trip on some of the attractions that are here. For instance, the aquarium. Yeah, it's nice, but it's pretty small and I personally feel it's a waste of time/money. I even had my wedding reception there and I don't think it's worth a visit. That's just me though. I would research the top rated attractions on tripadvisor.com and see if you think Charleston is a good fit for your family.

Where are you located? Have you thought about Myrtle Beach, Orlando, or Atlanta? I LOVE LOVE LOVE Charleston (hence why I moved here on a whim) but it's all history and for those that love nature. If you came here with your spouse, you could really explore the city. Sunset cruises on the harbor, carriage rides, shopping on King Street and at the City Market, plantation tours, ghost tours (my favorite is the Old City Jail - which is def not geared to children as young as yours).

Don't take my advice the wrong way, though. If you feel your kids will enjoy the town, we would love to have you all!

Old 03-09-2013, 05:11 PM

547 posts, read 1,192,257 times
definitely not boring. Hire a guide to take them fishing one day, hit Patriots Point, do downtown, do a ghost tour, do the aquarium, walk the beach at Sullivan's, eat at Poe's, do a carriage tour, walk the battery and rainbow row, eat at Poogan's Porch, shop King Street, eat at Husk, see what's happening at Marion Square that weekend... they'll enjoy it

Old 03-09-2013, 05:40 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,917,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWold View Post
Like others said, it depends on if your children like history. However, I wouldn't base a trip on some of the attractions that are here. For instance, the aquarium. Yeah, it's nice, but it's pretty small and I personally feel it's a waste of time/money. I even had my wedding reception there and I don't think it's worth a visit. That's just me though. I would research the top rated attractions on tripadvisor.com and see if you think Charleston is a good fit for your family.

Where are you located? Have you thought about Myrtle Beach, Orlando, or Atlanta? I LOVE LOVE LOVE Charleston (hence why I moved here on a whim) but it's all history and for those that love nature. If you came here with your spouse, you could really explore the city. Sunset cruises on the harbor, carriage rides, shopping on King Street and at the City Market, plantation tours, ghost tours (my favorite is the Old City Jail - which is def not geared to children as young as yours).

Don't take my advice the wrong way, though. If you feel your kids will enjoy the town, we would love to have you all!

I definitely thought about Myrtle Beach for the kids. Save the Charleston trip for the adults

Old 03-09-2013, 07:31 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,668,550 times
It may be chilly for swimming, but its not too cold for kids to enjoy all the water ways here. If your kids are outdoorsy they will love kayaking around Shem Creek, or even the pedal boats available at the county parks. If you are looking for a vacation centered around your children this isn't the place (and neither is Myrtle Beach since most of the really fun stuff is closed for the season). However, you can still visit Charleston and keep your kids entertained.
I have based vacations on my kids preferences and I have found great activities for kids on what would seem to be a more adult location. Either way its about enjoying time with the family. Ultimately you know your kids better than anyone, so only you can decide if it will be too boring for them.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:05 PM

All 3 of my boys -- now 24, 23 and 15 would have been bored to tears with the whole fishing thing........it really depends on the kid.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:11 PM

Seriously -- I'm losing something here or very good at selling anything to my kids

Old 03-09-2013, 08:12 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,493,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
If you are looking for a vacation centered around your children this isn't the place (and neither is Myrtle Beach since most of the really fun stuff is closed for the season)
I would have to kindly disagree with this statement. I lived in Myrtle Beach for 4 years and March is when the attractions start resuming since Canadian spring break is occurring now. With college spring break starting soon and the rest of the schools taking spring break at the end of the month, MB is probably going to have most of its attractions available now.

Some attractions I know for a fact that are open now are the dinner shows (Medieval Times and a brand new one that is a Pirate theme), tons of miniature golf, the Ripley's musuems/aquarium, Wonder Works (I really want to go here...seems like an awesome place), MagiQuest, Children's Museum of SC, etc. MB is highly geared to families. I don't get that vibe with Charleston even though it's a great tourist destination, I just feel it's centered for adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area