U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2013, 12:22 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,024,993 times

Advertisements

Check out what my husband and kids saw today on hole 5 at the Oaks Golf course in Goose Creek. Eeeek! My husband came about 15 ft of it before he even noticed it! The photo was taken from an iphone so you can tell how close it was. They didn't stick around (it could have eaten my 9 year old whole!).

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 01:46 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,100 times
That's a big one! Anyone venture to guess his length? We see them a lot on DI..but they usually aren't that big

Old 03-09-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klysik View Post
That's a big one! Anyone venture to guess his length? We see them a lot on DI..but they usually aren't that big
I think the photo may make it look bigger than it actually was. My husband was guestimating about 6-8 ft. We typically see them in the water, not along side.

I remembered someone on here saying they've yet to see a gator and I keep trying to suggest where they should look for them.

My husband and kids had two golf carts. My 11 year old jumped out of the golf cart he was in and ran to the further golf cart yelling, "I'm getting the he++ out of here", joining the other two kids and leaving my husband in the dust (my teen is old enough to drive a golf cart). He NEVER swears so my husband said it was like watching a cartoon. My family got genuinely spooked by how close it was and how they happened upon it. He said it looked fake, like they had put a fake gator up to scare the geese....then it moved. We actually love watching gators from a distance but this was way too close.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:25 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,348,323 times
Thanks for posting this. I haven't seen a gator here yet. I will probably see one when I least expect it!

On another note, I just noticed that "original poster" is next to the person's name when they respond to a post. That is a cool new feature on here.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,784,132 times
We'll invite you guys over the next time the big one is hanging out in the back yard.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:33 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,022,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
Check out what my husband and kids saw today on hole 5 at the Oaks Golf course in Goose Creek. Eeeek! My husband came about 15 ft of it before he even noticed it! The photo was taken from an iphone so you can tell how close it was. They didn't stick around (it could have eaten my 9 year old whole!).

Rivertowne, May 2008, In a driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Haven't seen an alligator yet??? (photo)-localgator-800x600-.jpg  

Old 03-10-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
Thanks for posting this. I haven't seen a gator here yet. I will probably see one when I least expect it!

On another note, I just noticed that "original poster" is next to the person's name when they respond to a post. That is a cool new feature on here.
I posted this with you in mind. I couldn't remember exactly who it was but I did recall someone saying they hadn't seen one in person yet. Now I remember it was you....lol.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:00 PM

13,321 posts, read 21,628,076 times
There is a huge one just over the border of NC at Oyster Bay.We usually see it from the road beyond the pond( 179). You can see the golfers golfing by it. My husband was one of them, but he knew to look for him. Size wise, he could be the brother of this gator.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:22 PM

128 posts, read 227,186 times
We saw Brutus out at Caw Caw last month. He is at least a 10 footer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area