Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 04:24 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times

Advertisements

My husband and I love the water, love to boat - we had a small Grady White which we sold long ago. You know, the old "the happiest day in a boater's life...." thing.

We have no intention of buying another boat if/when we relocate to Charleston area, but wondered if boat rentals are available, and if so where.

Also are there sailboats that take people out? We haven't seen any, but didn't really look last trip out.

We live near the water now, and this summer want to try kayaking. Looks like there are lots of places to do so, but wonder about 1) the mosquitos and 2) the alligators.

What happens when you fall in the water off your kayak????? As beginners, I'm sure that's going to happen a few times!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 05:16 AM

870 posts, read 1,678,160 times
There are lots of charter sailboat places..Group on always has great 1/2 price deals for a full or half day sail.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:19 AM

Great - thanks! And thanks for the tip about Groupon. Didn't even think to look there for deals...

Old 03-10-2013, 07:54 AM

167 posts, read 315,478 times
There's a place on Folly Rd. on the way to Folly Beach called Carolina Kayak . . . I delivered pizza there a couple times when I was doing that . . . they seemed friendly and they do group classes for beginners.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:19 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
Wear croakies - ya know, the straps that hold your eyeglasses on. DH was shoving off of a boat ramp in his kayak, & flipped into the water. Lost his expensive prescription sunglasses & ruined that outing. We never kayak without croakies now.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:40 PM

What about the alligators??? I'm a lot more worried about falling in with them, then losing my sunglasses! (and I wear prescriptions also) - LOL.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:50 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,471,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
What about the alligators??? I'm a lot more worried about falling in with them, then losing my sunglasses! (and I wear prescriptions also) - LOL.
are you planning on being in the salt water creeks n rivers or the fresh water rivers n lakes?

gators are not like u see on tarzan, they don't attack people unprovoked... but I wouldn't go swimming with them just in case u came up on a mentally challenged gator that didn't realize you aren't food... lol

tons of areas around here to boat where u don't have to worry about anything other than your own stupidity, ask a few locals about an area before u venture too far into it

stop by the boat shops and ask who goes where, hit the kayak clubs www sites etc etc...

and most importantly, have fun!!

Old 03-10-2013, 05:49 PM

88 posts, read 192,641 times
I don't think they just swim around the saltwater creeks, but not really sure! If they do, I would guess closer to the edges and grass areas? I have kayaked a few times in some charleston area creeks and haven't seen one yet. This summer we plan on getting a tube to pull the kids on with the boat, and its in the back of my mind..... not sure how much I should or shouldn't be concerned really. |
As far as mosquitoes, they havent been bad when we were out or really none, the gnats are more of a problem in spring and fall. They can get horrible

Old 03-10-2013, 05:55 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,164 times
I heard it is hard to fall out of a kayak

Old 03-10-2013, 06:48 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,940,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
We went on a guided kayak lesson (upper Ashley). There were gators (smaller) along the shore, within a padddles distance from the kayaks. Toward the center of the river, a family was running back and forth with thier ski boat pulling two small girls on a tube and dumping them off. Between what the guide told us, and the family seemingly unconcerned about the gators, I realized that I just need more education about them, so I can be comfortable....the gators are clearly comfortable. The only movement they made was to slowly swing so they could keep an eye on us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area