Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:04 AM

15 posts, read 70,260 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I'm a single mom currently living in the NYC metro area. I feel like I am drowning here- life is just too expensive on solely one income. I have many friends who have moved to Charleston over the past few years, and they all have one thing in common: they are happier than they were in NYC. So, I would like to make the move within the next year myself.

If I were doing this solo, it'd be very easy, but with a 1 year old in tow I am not even sure where to begin. My biggest concern as a mom is finding the safest place to raise my daughter while also living within our means. What Charleston neighborhoods are known for being safe and family friendly? What about the ones with the best public schools?

Where can I meet the most interesting people? Where is the art? Where are the musicians?

Lastly... what would life be like down there for a single mom? I feel very little judgement/prejudice where I currently live. Is it harder further south?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 11:53 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,352,750 times
I know this may be a personal question, but do you already have work lined up and what would be your 'means'? This will help us refer different areas.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:18 PM

15 posts, read 70,260 times
That is a personal question. I'm asking general questions for a possible move within the next year or two.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:40 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,118 times
stay where you are at...

either you aren't really serious or your "means" aren't sufficient enough to really do this and live in a decent area by your lack of response, because that wasn't a personal question.. it was a legit question that would tell people here where you could afford to live, which would dictate your quality of life here

single parenting is tough, it will be tougher here... there are no mass transit buses and subways, you will have to buy a car and keep insurance on it as well as pay yearly property taxes and up keep... daycare isn't cheap... it's a right to work state, call in one time too many because your baby has the sniffles and you're canned...

and yes, everyone prefers you have a mother and father in the house unless something drastic interrupted that... we've already seen the results of when a mom has to work two jobs so there's no parent around in the kids life, the thugs it can brew because of a lack of a dad that can put a foot up a kids butt when neccessary because he's actually there to do it... lol

those are just general answers though, nothing personal...

Old 03-11-2013, 01:46 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,118 times
now if none of that pertains to you and your means are quite sufficient, and you don't have to work all the time so there's time to raise that child properly without a ton of stress then there are some very nice areas you would do well in and would not be judged... and some decent school districts, you would love it here!

see quite a contrast in these two post? that's what you get without giving enough info... lol

Old 03-11-2013, 02:17 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,534 times
I agree. That is not a personal question..there are so many different areas of Charleston to live with so many different price points. Difficult to just throw out areas. Many people come on this forum asking about a relocation to SC and that is the first bit of information that is discussed. If you do/do not have a job. It's difficult without one! However, this forum is a great resource if you are looking for a job. if you started your thread with "finances aside, what would be....". In general, I believe Charlesron as a whole is a wonderful place for a single mother and a wonderful place for a 1 yr. old. I know many single moms here and they love it.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:24 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,352,750 times
Salaries are different here too than what you may be accustomed to.

We want to help you. Can you tell us how much you would expect to spend on rent/mortgage per month based on a local salary?

Old 03-11-2013, 04:23 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,301 times
The answer is YES .. you can make it here.

I know a couple of single moms and they do just fine.

Of course that's all relative to what means you can live within.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:27 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
Nat

If you are a retail/fast food/wear a uniform to work type employee, then expect to make $10-$12 an hour in the Charleston area. $20 to $24K a year. Not exactly a good wage for a single mother.

If a college graduate, mid level type employee, speciality area like medical claims processing, etc. then maybe $30k and you could get by here. Living on the cheap, but getting by.

People are tripping over each other here to go to work for Boeing as assembly line workers for $36K and loving it.

You will have to open your Kimona a bit for us to get a better idea/suggestion about where your might fit here in Charleston.

Long story short by my daughter's jobs paying $50K (social services) in MA was worth $30K here and her hubbys job paying $65K (union fireman with overtime) in MA was worth about $40K here. They passed on living here.

Hope this helps

Last edited by accufitgolf; 03-11-2013 at 04:47 PM..

Old 03-11-2013, 04:46 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,504,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Nat

If you are a retail/fast food/wear a uniform to work type employee then expect to make $10-$12 an hour in the Charleston area.
Why would you generalize the OP to those occupations? And just an FYI, those hourly rates are very common in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area