Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 10:04 AM

234 posts, read 382,444 times

Advertisements

In attempt to get the train back on the tracks - the consistent rain Charleston is currently getting is killing my build's timeline.. Stupid Mother Nature.. I'm hoping the rain will slow down enough for the foundation to be laid.

Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 02:28 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
They poured a foundation earlier this week 3 lots down from me.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
They poured a foundation earlier this week 3 lots down from me.
Yeah. Spoke to builder earlier today. Laying brick next week. Should be pouring week after. They want me there for second builders meeting mid Sept... So, definitely running a little behind. Original plan was for the second meeting to be mid Aug.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-18-2013, 08:13 AM

Bricks laid, Sticks being finalized. Have a trip for my "pre-drywall" meeting at the end of the week.. Pretty excited! So far, no complaints on the process. I've been updated at least once a week and the build/sales staff has been very responsive to calls or emails.

My only gripe is that my backyard isn't going to be as big as originally thought, but I haven't seen it in person - so I can't confirm yet... I guess it's a small price to pay...

More updates after the "pre-drywall" meeting..

Old 12-08-2013, 01:03 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
I disagree with this to an almost vehement level, but then again I'm one of those horrible Yanks everyone keeps complaining about.

Saying "Yes sir" and "No sir" to strangers is a) absolutely fake, b) is a sad throwback to a "never-was" genteel south, c) is about as far as you can possibly get to the ideals of equality and fraternity that this country should be about, and d) is a symptom of an immature society that demands ritual instead of relying on adult social cues.

Really, the south just can't seem to shake the faux-feudalism of the plantation/landed-gentry time, and this is one of the most common and most grating reminders of that. There is absolutely no need to add "sir" or "ma'am" to the end of everything. It is just as respectful to reply with a simple "Yup" as it is to pull out the full BS and give a chipper "Yes Sir!" accompanied by a curtsey.

Moreover, enforcing it on children is the biggest form of silly arrogance you can possibly develop - by forcing children to address you as "Sir" or "Ma'am" what you're telling the world is "I have major self esteem issues and feel the best way to address them is by enforcing my dominance over those younger then me." It's really quite pathetic, and I've worked very hard to ensure that my daughter refuses on principle to address anyone as "Sir" or "Ma'am".

Sorry, didn't mean to rant at you, but this is a major pet peeve of mine, and the sooner we as a nation get over it, the better.
Wow ... I was looking at your post history in reference to the Restaurant thread ... this post of yours explains A LOT.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:31 PM

5 posts, read 6,989 times
To try to get this thread going in a more positive direction, as one of the other posters mentioned above... I would like to get people's sentiments about Rivertowne versus Dunes West communities. We are considering moving down from somewhere north of SC... And love the Genuine friendliness of the area. We have a couple of young kids (9 and 8) and as much as I love people in their waning years, I would rather move to a neighborhood where there are loads of kids running around. Thanks in advance, and I assure you, my kids already say "Yes Sir", "Yes Ma'am", "please", and "Thank You". They also shake hands and look people in the eye when they meet them, and say "it's nice to meet you!"

Old 12-16-2013, 07:44 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
I disagree with this to an almost vehement level, but then again I'm one of those horrible Yanks everyone keeps complaining about.

Saying "Yes sir" and "No sir" to strangers is a) absolutely fake, b) is a sad throwback to a "never-was" genteel south, c) is about as far as you can possibly get to the ideals of equality and fraternity that this country should be about, and d) is a symptom of an immature society that demands ritual instead of relying on adult social cues.

Really, the south just can't seem to shake the faux-feudalism of the plantation/landed-gentry time, and this is one of the most common and most grating reminders of that. There is absolutely no need to add "sir" or "ma'am" to the end of everything. It is just as respectful to reply with a simple "Yup" as it is to pull out the full BS and give a chipper "Yes Sir!" accompanied by a curtsey.

Moreover, enforcing it on children is the biggest form of silly arrogance you can possibly develop - by forcing children to address you as "Sir" or "Ma'am" what you're telling the world is "I have major self esteem issues and feel the best way to address them is by enforcing my dominance over those younger then me." It's really quite pathetic, and I've worked very hard to ensure that my daughter refuses on principle to address anyone as "Sir" or "Ma'am".

Sorry, didn't mean to rant at you, but this is a major pet peeve of mine, and the sooner we as a nation get over it, the better.
Right. The country would be better if people stop teaching manners and acted like rude jerks. Welcome to the south, Lucifer. As a mental health professional, I have to say: if that's your biggest pet peeve, you are a lucky human. And you DID mean to rant.

None of us who were born and raised in the south think that adding "ma'am" and "sir" are "grating reminders" of anything. Apparently it reminds YOU of something. I don't know and don't care what. And that whole self esteem thing is ridiculous. I think I know more about children and development of self esteem than you do. It's always interesting when Yankees move in, then complain.

Maybe it's time to run on back home.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:19 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
I hate when I'm having a lovely conversation with a young person. The child is being polite, respectful and engaged in the conversation and their parent harps on them -- interupting every sentence to remind them to say Yes M'am...No M'am....I get so frustrated. It isn't necessary to use it every single time. It then loses it's politeness and respect. It becomes automatic and doen't mean anything to them. Respect isn't a robotic response.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:07 AM

259 posts, read 454,177 times
I agree, simply keeping a respectful tone and saying please and
thank you is my byword.

(caveat being that no one is polite all the time,we all have
grumpy, bad mood moments)

Old 06-16-2014, 11:03 AM

33 posts, read 36,044 times
I'm curious to know how conservative this area is? We want to move to an area that's not completely taken over by liberals. We like SC because of all of the common sense decisions (getting rid of common core) and other conservative principles. What is Mount Pleasant and the surrounding areas like in regard to this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area