Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 05:48 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasqo View Post
@ afk05
@ ProudPatriot07
I'm big into Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I've also played , hockey, baseball/softball, paintball - you name it, I've done it. And I'm always willing to try anything! The next few visits I make will probably be to somewhat figure out what gym I'll continue my training at. I'd appreciate if you can send me that info on the running club. Again, I'll try anything!

Thanks again everyone for the well wishes and especially the "Welcome Home" statements. It really puts a smile on my face when I see that
I just messaged you some info about the run club and my husband's gym!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 11:27 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,729 times
Who said they didn't understand it????? I just thought OTC's remark was hysterical.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:05 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
Who said they didn't understand it????? I just thought OTC's remark was hysterical.
Haha what? Of course I knew I was just as new, that was the original joke!

Old 04-28-2013, 03:00 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Wow, no one really understood my setup...ugh,sad. I'll buy OTC a beer on principle, as a fellow libertarian...
I got it -- very clever!

Old 04-28-2013, 04:01 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times
I got it. Just didn't think it was funny.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:25 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,729 times
Haha. I'm with you, Robynn.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
:sly:

Old 04-30-2013, 08:19 AM

234 posts, read 382,471 times
I'll gladly buy a round for everyone who comes to my welcoming party, thrown by rorytmeadows

Old 05-01-2013, 09:34 AM

4 posts, read 5,763 times
Congratulations to you and your family, brasqo! I have to say I'm quite jealous. My husband and I want to make a move to Charleston, well Mount Pleasant, but we're trying to figure out jobs. We had hoped my job would be moving there but it doesn't look like that will pan out. We have been to Charleston a few times, but visited in February to look at houses and things. We were fearful we were building the area up too much in our minds, but when
we were there it just felt right, and we were so excited.
Brasqo - I wanted to ask about Carolina Park - this is where we think we want to live when/if we move. We have a 1 year old as well, and hope to have more children and really love the neighborhood (walking trails, playground, etc). Anyway, I assume you're working with one of the builders there. How has that experience been so far? Are they easy to work with? Obviously share only what you're comfortable with, but how were they with upgrade pricing,
loan approvals, timelines, etc. We would like to build a home with Ryland but have no experience with
building so it scares us a bit.

Best of luck!

Old 05-01-2013, 10:01 AM

234 posts, read 382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmar25 View Post
Congratulations to you and your family, brasqo! I have to say I'm quite jealous. My husband and I want to make a move to Charleston, well Mount Pleasant, but we're trying to figure out jobs. We had hoped my job would be moving there but it doesn't look like that will pan out. We have been to Charleston a few times, but visited in February to look at houses and things. We were fearful we were building the area up too much in our minds, but when
we were there it just felt right, and we were so excited.
Brasqo - I wanted to ask about Carolina Park - this is where we think we want to live when/if we move. We have a 1 year old as well, and hope to have more children and really love the neighborhood (walking trails, playground, etc). Anyway, I assume you're working with one of the builders there. How has that experience been so far? Are they easy to work with? Obviously share only what you're comfortable with, but how were they with upgrade pricing,
loan approvals, timelines, etc. We would like to build a home with Ryland but have no experience with
building so it scares us a bit.

Best of luck!
@ mcmar25

I did about a years worth of research before settling on Mt P..
To be honest with you, the build process has so far been going without a hitch. Granted, it is extremely early in the process.

Some of this info may be considered common knowledge to some, but I'm honestly a novice at all of this, so all of this was new for me. We've gone with David Weekley for this build.

There is pressure to put down money ASAP (5-10k) to secure the lot you're interested in since there is more than one rep selling the lots for the respected builder (the lots are indeed going fast)... Something they don't exactly make known upfront is that every lot in the the specified section has it's own pricepoint. In other words, lot 15 could be more money than lot 20, even if the square footage is equivalent. Not every floorplan will fit on every lot, so it's probably a good idea to know what floorplan you're looking to go with before committing to a lot.

The builds take about 6 months total (at least that's what we're being told). When you decide to put the money on the lot, the process really gets moving. You're asked to choose a floorplan, as well as choosing ahead of time the options you want in preparation for up to 4 "design center" visits to solidify you're wants(there's options for every little thing you can think of. Coming from out of state (NY) we have it setup where we won't be needing the 4 visits. We'll get everything done in about 1 or 2 four hour sessions, depending how we do on session 1. To give you an idea of a time frame of the above process, this has been done in about a 2 week frame. We currently have a trip planned for early May to visit the design center, so that's the current step we're on.

I can tell you the reps for DW are extremely helpful and are very good at answering questions/concerns via email or phone in a very prompt matter. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you the Rep's info we've been dealing with. I'd happily recommend them as they've been great.

Loan-wise, we're going with our own bank as Wells Fargo (main bank in SC i assume) will work with us, but we were able to obtain a better rate on our own, even without WF's help on the closing costs.

Upgrade pricing we're currently dealing with so I really can't give you too much info yet as I personally haven't looked through everything yet. From what the wife has told me, they're pretty reasonable compared to having it done by a third party. If you connect with a Realtor initially, most of them are willing to connect you with a third party contractor to do some odds and ends jobs to save some money. Keep in mind, the builder will do ANYTHING for you, but you will have to PAY for it..

Hope this helps.. Feel free to ask away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area