Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 12:21 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times

Advertisements

There are places to rent month to month or even at 3 or 6 month leases which I would figure might be cheaper than a lengthy hotel stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 03:14 PM

66 posts, read 91,176 times
We are moving down to Mt Pleasant from Ohio in a few weeks. My husband was offered a job out of the blue just a month ago, and the past few weeks have been a frantic rush to get our house ready to sell, find a place to live down there, and pack. We are just renting in MTP for now, but we were only able to take a 1 day trip to look for an apartment. Out of the many calls I made to realtors/landlords prior to our trip, only 3 people called me back to view their condos. I'm a "wait & see, do lots of research" type but we applied at the first place we saw, just because I was afraid we'd lose it. Despite the rush of everything, we are looking forward to moving down. This board has been so helpful in pinpointing the type of neighborhood & schools I wanted for our family (have 8 & 5yr old). Good luck to you, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choosymother26 View Post
We are moving to Mount Pleasant on the 14th of June and we still don't have a house! We would really like to live in the Old Village, but there is very little on the market in our price range. We may be staying at the Days Inn until we can jump on a new listing. We have a ten-year old son and 7-year old daughter, both very active and outgoing, but I will worry about how they will adjust. This is going to be quite an adventure.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:02 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasqo View Post
@ cape_fisherman

Again, I am very green when going thru this process. I didn't mean to infer that they were hiding anything.. They weren't.. It would have just been nice to have access to a chart or something with the quotes displayed rather than have to inquire. Again, I'm super green so I don't know the customs to the business.

The wife settled on the Fontenot. Yes, it's awesome! I think the Fontenot is slightly smaller than the Whitham model, but the layout was just favored by the wife so that's what we went with. I'm definitely a fan of that Master bedroom, and hope to replicate it in my home. I know exactly what you're saying ..
I have had two new homes built in SC. One of them was in Mount Pleasant. My experience with the builders was there was very little wheeling and dealing on the basic lot/house price. Deal time was on the upgrades/options. My experience is they can be had for about 60-70% of builder quoted price. Always have the builder do all upgrades (versus a 3rd party) as they will hang/fit/look better then add ons plus the builder warranty covers them. One thing desired in SC is a lawn sprinkler system. Be sure to get one.

Good news in a development being built is the builder is still around to work with on any punch list or warranty items as they want to make nice to sell more houses. There will always be a punch list so do not panic if a few things need to still be done come move in time. Become friendly with the site construction manager. A case of beer for him goes a very long way.

The down side is if you have to sell while they are still building it will be difficult to get more for it then your paid and/or more then the builder is selling new for. Living in a construction zone can be a pain but if they sell fast, then less construction around you.

I loved Mount Pleasant/Charleston. I am sure you will also.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:37 PM

97 posts, read 171,518 times
I love reading all of these posts! They make me very excited to come check out the area.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:42 AM

234 posts, read 382,471 times
Just a quick update on my process:
We just got finished with the design center portion. Wife is now extremely anxious to finally be able to call Charleston/Mount Pleasant her home. Next step for us is a "builders meeting" which will more than likely happen within 6-8 weeks from now.

We took another walking tour of the area and building is really starting to get moving. My wife took a picture of our lot, turned to me with a big smile and said, "That's our house."

Old 05-30-2013, 06:29 PM

5 posts, read 6,643 times
Red face Relocating to MT Pleasant

My husband and our 2 children are considering relocating to Mt. Pleasant in the next few months. We have done extensive research and will visit for the week of July 4th. I'm wondering if anyone here could help us find a real estate agent to show us some rental property and give us some direction on where we may want to look as far as neighborhoods etc. We only know what we've read about the area so any help would be greatly appreciated. We're nervous about schools etc. because we're leaving Massachusetts in an area with great schools. I'm wondering what people that have recently relocated think of the schools so far? Thank you for any help!

Old 06-02-2013, 10:30 PM

332 posts, read 398,271 times
Bump. Very interested in reading transplants experiences. I have lived in the Pacific Northwest for a long time but I grew up in Brooklyn so appreciate the northerners chiming in with their adjustment to Mt. Pleasant life. Cheers.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:50 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
Bump. Very interested in reading transplants experiences. I have lived in the Pacific Northwest for a long time but I grew up in Brooklyn so appreciate the northerners chiming in with their adjustment to Mt. Pleasant life. Cheers.
I've lived 30 years in Rochester, NY and moved here in April. I cannot believe that I lived where I lived for so long. Everything about this place is wonderful and I just feel sorry in a subtle way for those left behind.

I was worried about pulling my 2 year old from NY regulated day cares. He loves it here more.

I was worried that this would overall be a bad move for him. The parks are 100 times better than Rochester and he loves the beach, now. He loves day care and because we love it here so much, we're out 10 times as much as we were in Rochester. Which means a greater quality of life for him as well. He has never been happier but probably won't appreciate the sour because of so much sweet.

I don't know what anyone is talking about when it comes to more country music, more racism, or "dumber" people. My co-worker was born and raised in SC and solved more MENSA puzzles from my collection than I did. People are nicer. I haven't experienced any racism at all, and we go out ALL THE TIME. I actually feel like it was more racist back home than it is EVER here.

People are nicer. No doubt. And I am nicer because of it. I always say "yes sir" and "yes ma'am" and people appreciate it. But people are always so nice and willing to discuss anything and just shoot the sh*t essentially. Sometimes I feel bad because I am in a rush and don't stop and talk with folks. I have not felt any "yankee-hate" at all, even though I always say, "I'm from NY...unfortunately".

The best thing I can say right now is the fact that my life is actually pretty great. I couldn't say that before, but living here is just completely awesome. I don't care if my parents ever visit, if I have any friends (though it's so easy to make them), nor if hurricanes come every so often. It is awesome living here. Plain and simple.

My wife and I agree for once; it feels like we have been on vacation since we moved here. Almost every night, after dinner, we hit up the beach, or downtown, or take a drive to somewhere interesting.

Quality of life before: 2
Quality of life now: 10

PM me for any specifics or any help. It would be a sin not to share this happiness.

Last edited by rorytmeadows; 06-02-2013 at 11:02 PM..

Old 06-03-2013, 07:48 AM

234 posts, read 382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I've lived 30 years in Rochester, NY and moved here in April. I cannot believe that I lived where I lived for so long. Everything about this place is wonderful and I just feel sorry in a subtle way for those left behind.

I was worried about pulling my 2 year old from NY regulated day cares. He loves it here more.

I was worried that this would overall be a bad move for him. The parks are 100 times better than Rochester and he loves the beach, now. He loves day care and because we love it here so much, we're out 10 times as much as we were in Rochester. Which means a greater quality of life for him as well. He has never been happier but probably won't appreciate the sour because of so much sweet.

I don't know what anyone is talking about when it comes to more country music, more racism, or "dumber" people. My co-worker was born and raised in SC and solved more MENSA puzzles from my collection than I did. People are nicer. I haven't experienced any racism at all, and we go out ALL THE TIME. I actually feel like it was more racist back home than it is EVER here.

People are nicer. No doubt. And I am nicer because of it. I always say "yes sir" and "yes ma'am" and people appreciate it. But people are always so nice and willing to discuss anything and just shoot the sh*t essentially. Sometimes I feel bad because I am in a rush and don't stop and talk with folks. I have not felt any "yankee-hate" at all, even though I always say, "I'm from NY...unfortunately".

The best thing I can say right now is the fact that my life is actually pretty great. I couldn't say that before, but living here is just completely awesome. I don't care if my parents ever visit, if I have any friends (though it's so easy to make them), nor if hurricanes come every so often. It is awesome living here. Plain and simple.

My wife and I agree for once; it feels like we have been on vacation since we moved here. Almost every night, after dinner, we hit up the beach, or downtown, or take a drive to somewhere interesting.

Quality of life before: 2
Quality of life now: 10

PM me for any specifics or any help. It would be a sin not to share this happiness.
This pretty much sums up why the wife and I are making the move. My kid's #1 as far as I'm concerned, and I hear nothing but positives being thrown about by transplants and locals alike. I can't wait.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:05 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
I have to say as we are going to visit, after reading so many posts and we have moved alot in DH's career I am sorry that we didnt look more into Charleston when we had a Job opportunity many years ago instead we went to charlotte..Roty its so nice to hear Stories like yours, We felt that way about South Florida although I must say Im very interested to see what the area is like we are going to be driving around Mt pleasant as well but we do not have small children anymore...

Good Luck to those relocating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area