U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 11:13 AM

89 posts, read 202,894 times

Advertisements

Looking to Cash out equity in Westchester Co. NY and Mt Pleasant is on the short list and have a couple of questions....

1. What will $400k buy in a golf community give or teke 25k....what would the property tax be and owners fee...Aprox of course.

2. In the golf communities does one need to join the club...I wold play a couple of times a week....If so haw much to join and is it generally worth it?

3. How far to the beach (miles) is parking available at the beaches do you have to pay to get on????

4. Is the area so popular it has outgrown itself and are there a lot of NYers around.....

any advice is appreciated.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 06:32 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,290,616 times
hey, yes Yankees are taking over my hometown but there is still a southern charm to it. the golf course communities range from mid $100 to $700 k

Check out

Snee Farm
Hamlin Plantation
Parkwest

you dont have to join a club, you can golf many places around MP

beaches are 5 minutes away from any place in MP

Old 11-30-2006, 07:55 PM

890 posts, read 4,052,077 times
Mid 100's? No way. You can't even get a condo on a pond in Mount Pleasant in the 100's. You might be able to find a small older home in a golf community in the upper 300's, on a golf course in the mid 500's IF you're lucky.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:57 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,467,873 times
Some of the golf course communities in Mt. Pleasant are Dunes West, Charleston National, Snee Farm and Rivertowne Country Club. Neither Hamlin Plantation or Park West are golf course communities, although they are only minutes from Dunes West CC and Rivertowne CC. $400,000 will get you about a 2400 sqft. single family home in the golf course communities, but unlikely on a golf course lot. Anything in the mid $100,000's will be a relatively small one or two bedroom condo. Annual home owners dues for most communities in Mt. Pleasant with swimming and tennis will be in the $350 to $750 range. Taxes for a $400,000 home for 2007 should probably be less than $2000, with the anticipated reduction in property taxes in South Carolina next year. You should be able to get on to a number of the golf courses in Mt. Pleasant by paying greens fees. If you would be playing golf a few times a week, you might want to consider joining one of the clubs or playing at the less expensive Patriots Point Public golf course and at one of the semi-private courses less often.Initiation fees at Rivertowne Country Club, one of the nicest in the area, are about $15,000 for a family. Monthly dues are fairly inexpensive, probably about $200 a month, although you would need to confirm this.
The Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island both are public beaches with generally plenty of public parking without a fee. The beaches are about 10-15 minutes drive from most communities in Mt. Pleasant. CarolinaJack is right in saying that there are plenty of New Yorkers living in Mt. Pleasant as well as folks from throughout the country.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:23 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,290,616 times
the gentleman didnt say what type of housing. You can get townhouses and condos for $150 k and up in Mt Pleasant for sure. not in a gated community probably but i know where to find them. but i am not a transplant so maybe for those who dont know where to look it will be harder to find

Old 11-30-2006, 09:41 PM

SCJJ may want to take a look at any Realtor web site and search for condos for sale in Mt. Pleasant. As of a few minutes ago on the Realtor MLS system there were 32 condos on the market in Mt. Pleasant listed under $165,000. I just ratified a contract on a beautiful 2800 sqft. one year home on the golf course in Rivertowne Country Club for under $485,000. Homes in Mt. Pleasant certainly are more expensive than in many other areas of South Carolina, including some areas of Charleston, but they are still relatively inexpensive compared to many other less desirable areas of the country.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:55 AM

Well good for you. Things must be picking up there. Have no desire to research condo's in Mount Pleasant, of all places. I could really care less, but thanks anyway.

Good luck McGeno!

Last edited by scjj; 12-01-2006 at 07:19 AM..

Old 12-01-2006, 07:26 PM

McGeno,
My response to your question about the cost of a home in a golf course community in Mt. Pleasant was based upon fact and not on a subjective opinion. This is a great forum for individual opinions on the area, but I would hope that I am not alone in preferring accurate information on issues and questions that may be relied upon to make a decision to relocate to or visit a particular area.
If you have any general or specific questions about the cost of housing in the Charleston area, I will be glad to take the time to answer them as best I can and seperate fact from speculation.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:59 PM

Speculation? What are you talking about? What I said wasn't even that far off from what you said. Not too self righteous now are we? I would hope someone would have enough brains to look on a MLS site themselves and research the information instead of relying solely on word of mouth from an internet message board. You really need to lighten up and not take this forum thing so seriously. It's just a message board, not a courtroom.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:47 PM

I agree with SCJJ that no one should rely soley on the word of mouth from an internet message board as it is apparent from reading the many posts, most of which are quite informative, that some members seem to "shoot from the hip" more than others. A reasonable sized single family golf course lot home can be found in Mt. Pleasant from the low $400's rather than the mid $500's, I would view the difference in the cost of such a home substantial rather than "not too far off." However, this is just a message board and not a court room and reasonable men can certainly differ in how they view the same thing. I agree with SCJJ that you would hope someone would take the time to look on an mls site before relying on someone's word, but unfortunately many people take comments by others at face value, particularly from someone who would appear to have first hand knowledge of what they speak about. As far as taking this forum too seriously, I can assure SCJJ that there is no worry about that being the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or