Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:50 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,504,108 times

Advertisements

So I basically got eaten alive by what I assume were gnats when I was doing boot camp outside this week. Is there any bug spray or remedies that will take care of these pests so I don't get tormented during a work out? My body is so itchy right now with all the bites I got. Someone told me that most of the insects here don't get bothered by bug repellant...is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 08:09 AM

55 posts, read 111,194 times
those are probably noseeums. yes they are a pain. i usually just deal with them as I haven't found anything which works. But then again I am not allergic to them like some people can be (which is a royal nuisance if you itch after being bit). As long as you're moving (jogging, biking, etc) its usually not too bad.

DEET based pest repellents work great for mosquitoes but nothing i've used seems to noticeably help with the noseeums. Good luck and if you find something, post back here since others have same issues.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:19 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,551 times
I just bought a product at Haddrells tackle call "No Natz". It's supposed to be effective against noseeums which hammer me to. I tried it a little last night but probably didn't give it a proper test. I'll report back after I give it a good legit try.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:53 AM

662 posts, read 1,410,785 times
I use Avon's Skin so Soft Oil. It seems to work for me.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:06 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,471,553 times
Off Deep Woods Sportsmen, for most occasions and when I'm turkey hunting deep in the swamps...

Thermocell when deer hunting, or when u need to be odorless.

Skin So Soft works "ok"

Old 05-26-2013, 12:14 PM

133 posts, read 249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
Off Deep Woods Sportsmen, for most occasions and when I'm turkey hunting deep in the swamps...

Thermocell when deer hunting, or when u need to be odorless.

Skin So Soft works "ok"
I was reading Amazon.com review about Thermocell-said it is toxic???
how long dose cartridge last? I want to try it because I get bitten by bugs (mostly mosquito) a lot.
How is mosquito in Charleston? We will visit there the end of next month.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:16 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,612 times
I went to Walmart again yesterday and they still have no thermocells! Anywhere else I can get one?

Old 05-26-2013, 03:05 PM

u can get thermocells all over the lowcountry

walmart, dicks sporting goods, most hardware stores carry them, tomlinson, kmart, feed stores etc

very popular these days

toxic?? I've never heard that, I've used them in deer stands since they came out with them.

one pad usually last several hours btw

not good if it's windy, but if it's windy then the squito's prob can't catch up to you anyway...

Old 05-26-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesca923 View Post
I was reading Amazon.com review about Thermocell-said it is toxic???
how long dose cartridge last? I want to try it because I get bitten by bugs (mostly mosquito) a lot.
How is mosquito in Charleston? We will visit there the end of next month.
I'm not sure where you read what you say, but it wasn't off of a Thermocell product.

I checked Amazon.com just to see if you maybe saw something on a sidebar product and thought it was meant for thermocell, but I can't find anything.

You can go to Thermocell's website ThermaCELL® | Devices to cool or warm you & get rid of mosquitoes and see there's nothing about it being toxic, the repellent is allethrin, a copy of a repellent that naturally occurs in chrysanthemum flowers.

I hunt in woods/swamps so hot and humid that you hear squito's so loud around you you'd think someone was running a chainsaw, and this little thing keeps them at bay!

best thing since they finally made the square wheel round IMHO

in it's pure form it's still not dangerous unless you deliberately ingest it, even in California... lol ... http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=8134

Old 05-26-2013, 07:05 PM

133 posts, read 249,167 times
Amazon.com: ThermaCELL MR-X Grey Cordless Portable Mosquito Repellent Appliance: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Ok, it just said on "safety information" "..harmful if inhaled" I think someone who over-reacted said on review that it was toxic.

Thank you, meks, for info! I will try it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area