Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 09:20 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times

Advertisements

We live on a pond. Empty lots around us with lots of growth by the water. We saw a big ole rat -- I think it was a rat...didn't see the tail....in the growth in the empty lot beside us. Husband thought he saw a rat about a year ago. I had the exterminating company put a contraption that is suppose to give the rat poison -- he takes it back to his family and share. He also told us to get rid of all bird feeders. Any food is food for a rat. AAACCCK.

He then said -- honestly -- they are all around. He lives on Isle of Palm and says it just is a way of life. You just don't want them near your home so you don't provide them with food. No more bird feeders EVER for me.

Still have never seen a snake here. ......but I am very aware right now -- looking hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 09:52 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,471,727 times
totally normal, except they are almost a month behind schedule

the rush of them waking hungry will soon be over and they'll resume to their normal hiding spots, which many times happens to be on the edges of paths etc so they can attack their real prey - not you...

I usually see them all over and very active during turkey seasons, mid march through april, but they were no where to be found... yet... they're just running in a late pattern

coyotes are being seen where they never were before too, and bears in Walterboro today... the animals are starting to encroach on us! as it was written...

Old 05-31-2013, 10:11 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,924 times
I have a pellet gun for sale that will rid you of your rat problem and is real fun to shoot too...

Old 06-01-2013, 05:42 AM

859 posts, read 1,361,581 times
Not about snakes, but about rat poison and dogs - sorry to go a little off topic -

Please, please, if you have dogs, if your neighbors have dogs, do NOT use rat poison. If the dog get hold of a dead/dying rat that has been poisoned, it can kill the dog. Rat poison is usually warfarin, a blood thinner that is given in lethal doses for the rats. It is also extremely lethal for dogs.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:01 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,181,425 times
We do have dogs. We've lived here for two year and this is the first time we have seen rats and happened to see two within a week. We have a drainage pond not far from our back yard so I suspect that is where they are coming from. They didn't touch the dead one but the 1/2 dead one had them all wound up but I don't think they made physical contact. I had to bring them in until it could be taken care of.

I don't have bird feeders but my neighbors do. I worry about diseased rats.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:06 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caili View Post
Not about snakes, but about rat poison and dogs - sorry to go a little off topic -

Please, please, if you have dogs, if your neighbors have dogs, do NOT use rat poison. If the dog get hold of a dead/dying rat that has been poisoned, it can kill the dog. Rat poison is usually warfarin, a blood thinner that is given in lethal doses for the rats. It is also extremely lethal for dogs.

That's why I use this: Bell Laboratories - Products

Old 06-01-2013, 08:09 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,112,996 times
Really kind of hit or miss ...

I'm a Survey Crew Chief for a local civil engineering/land planning company so I'm out in the woods ... A LOT.

I also have a wooded HOA common area behind my house in my neighborhood so as you can guess, between the two I'm not shocked to find snakes here and there.

Well ... last year, from the end of February into March I saw THREE copperheads and one 'black racer' in my back yard.

At the same time, we started work over on Wescott Park (which is coming along NICELY btw) ... anyway ... the whole time I've worked, and continue to work there, I've seen exactly ZERO snakes. From the time it was still completely wooded to now. NONE. A few of the contractors have seen a couple of rattlesnakes and one crew even killed two in one day.

I think it's just a matter of timing and happenstance.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:54 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,201,358 times
Here is the solution to any snake problem. Isn't he cute
Attached Thumbnails
What is going on? SNAKE experts please!-6a010535647bf3970b0128765c8998970c-800wi.jpg  

Old 06-01-2013, 11:07 AM

870 posts, read 1,678,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Here is the solution to any snake problem. Isn't he cute
Downright adorable! I'll take a pack of them!

Old 06-01-2013, 01:31 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
No dog can get to my stuff for the rats....

Neighbor's bird feeder will do it according to my pest guy. I wanted to move my feeders away from the house and he suggested not to have any.

Since getting rid of the feeders, we have seen our little friend (not sure it is the same one) in the greenery by the pond on the lot next to us -- but not around our house. The pest guy says he can see them eating the stuff he has put out. I may suggest we move it a little further away from the house -- down by the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area