U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 12:03 PM

12 posts, read 21,022 times

Advertisements

We have been renting in Sweetgrass for almost 2 years, since moving to Mt P. The location is perfect, everyone we have met in the neighborhood is very friendly. There is no pool, no playground, no walking trails, etc.

Snee Farm is my favorite neighborhood in Mt P, and we love to drive through there looking for houses. We are looking for a 4 bedroom home, and the ones we have found have been pricey. Good luck in your search!!

We have the swim and social membership to Snee Farm. It's very laid back, doesn't have that country club vibe to it at all, as far as I can tell.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 12:53 PM

2,242 posts, read 2,970,360 times
Thx, that's good to know about Sweetgrass and no amenities.

I'll be perusing the listings over the next year before we move to see what comes up where. It's such a hard decision - new or older home. To us location is really important, and we'd prefer below IOP, especially as we age. I can see thinking about going for a drink at Shem Creek and bagging it if we lived say at Park West because we don't feel like driving, or not going into the city for dinner, but being more inclined to do it if we live say at Belle Hall or Snee Farm.

In our price range, the tradeoff is an older home and the maintenance that goes with that. I hear what you are saying accufit - we live in a house built in 1795 in Newburyport and it's constant upkeep and repairs. We didn't have to do a remodel - at least that had been done. I swore I'd never buy older again..... we shall see how it all plays out.

BTW, Rivertowne is beautiful. It was my favorite subdivision - that and Hamlin Plantation - North of IOP.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts, and Caili, good to know there are some lesser-priced homes once in a while that pop up in Snee Farm. It is a beautiful spot and such a great location.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 PM

217 posts, read 507,516 times
You will be hard pressed to find a neighborhood without a lake. I don't think I've been in a neighborhood in MtP without one yet! Belle Hall has a bunch, but my parents' dog and all their neighbors' dogs have been just fine. Matter of fact, the only story I've heard of a dog getting into a fight with a snake occurred in Ladson.

Snee Farms appears to be a pretty big subdivision. I'm not an expert on it, but I know there's an entrance on Long Point Road and another on Whipple Road. If you exit onto Whipple Road, you're only a stones throw from the Belle Hall Shopping Center. Just need to take that left onto Long Point and drive another 15 seconds. Living off of Rifle Range means a longer trek to the interstate and downtown. RR and 17 back up during certain times of the day. Long Point sees company during peak commuting hours, but 526 is RIGHT there.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:43 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,587,216 times
The lakes you see in neighborhoods are less for asthetics and more for drainage and flood prevention....

Old 06-04-2013, 05:00 AM

10,816 posts, read 9,638,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Thx, that's good to know about Sweetgrass and no amenities.

I'll be perusing the listings over the next year before we move to see what comes up where. It's such a hard decision - new or older home. To us location is really important, and we'd prefer below IOP, especially as we age. I can see thinking about going for a drink at Shem Creek and bagging it if we lived say at Park West because we don't feel like driving, or not going into the city for dinner, but being more inclined to do it if we live say at Belle Hall or Snee Farm.

In our price range, the tradeoff is an older home and the maintenance that goes with that. I hear what you are saying accufit - we live in a house built in 1795 in Newburyport and it's constant upkeep and repairs. We didn't have to do a remodel - at least that had been done. I swore I'd never buy older again..... we shall see how it all plays out.

BTW, Rivertowne is beautiful. It was my favorite subdivision - that and Hamlin Plantation - North of IOP.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts, and Caili, good to know there are some lesser-priced homes once in a while that pop up in Snee Farm. It is a beautiful spot and such a great location.
There's older and then there's old. Any new house you buy will require plenty of maintenance and likely more in ten years, since they aren't built with the same level of care. When we first moved in our house, it was new. Now, I've had to replace the water heater, siding, roof, heat pumps, flooring, appliances, etc. Yet the house prior to this one was built in the 70s and that thing gave me no issues. Why the difference? I think it's because these new houses just aren't built as well. Sure, they look shiny new at first but it's how they maintain and age which is the problem.

For that reason, there's no way in hell I'm buying new after we sell this one. Shoot, I've practically replaced every single system on this house in the fifteen years we've owned it. So, there's an enormous difference between the maintenance of a 1795 house and a 1970s house. Just wanted to point that out.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:30 AM

5,615 posts, read 13,386,106 times
Haha yeah, the newest house I owned had the worst roof - it started leaking above the garage at 3 years old. I just did battle with our a/c. Apparently the ducts leaked since new (2006). However the floor joists that needed replacing were bad due to a design flaw from the '50s that construction science only figured out recently.

I'd take an older one over a new one that's poorly-constructed or built with materials that won't last
or
I'd take a new one over an older one that wasn't maintained well

At least with the older one you can tell how your neighbors will keep up their place so you don't have the good house surrounded by all the neglected ones.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:22 PM

96 posts, read 152,912 times
We moved into Waters Edge behind Harris Teeter, off Sweetgrass Basket Pky. Really love this little neighborhood and so close to everything w/ quick in and out

Old 07-02-2013, 02:34 PM

25 posts, read 78,138 times
does anyone know anything about the HOA regulations regarding building a swimming pool (above ground) in Sweetgrass, Snee Farm, Brickyard, Waters Edge, Horlbeck or Glen Erin subdivisions?

Old 07-02-2013, 05:55 PM

4,281 posts, read 11,326,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonmh View Post
does anyone know anything about the HOA regulations regarding building a swimming pool (above ground) in Sweetgrass, Snee Farm, Brickyard, Waters Edge, Horlbeck or Glen Erin subdivisions?
Allison

Not all HOA Covenants are the same. You will have to check with each individual association.

Do not, do not, need I repeat do not, move into a place assuming you can do as you wish especially if you want something that critical. Be sure you can do it and what the procedure is. Do not become the new neighbor from hell who does what they want without permission.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:39 PM

10,816 posts, read 9,638,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonmh View Post
I can answer for Brickyard. They do not allow any above ground pools. If you want an inground pool, it must be approved by the ARB (Architectural Review Board) - a challenge in and of itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area