Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 12:59 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,305,427 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where I can get a schedule so that we know when a cruise ship is going to be in port in Charleston? We may be taking a day trip to Charleston during the first week of September and if so, we want to avoid the cruise ships at all costs. We made that mistake on our trip last year and the crowds were pretty bad. We will be traveling with my elderly in-laws and they do okay walking around for the most part, but the fewer people the better.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 01:03 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Here it is: Charleston Cruises - Calendars

Old 08-11-2013, 01:27 PM

Thanks, that was a quick reply!

Last edited by canudigit; 08-11-2013 at 01:38 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,036 times
Wow.. been down town many times with the cruise ship in port and never had an issue. I have a feeling something else was going on.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:36 AM

IDK, maybe there was, I just know that we could barely walk down the sidewalk on many streets, and there were long lines for everything. We have been to Charleston many times, and I have never, in twenty-five years, seen it like it was that day. The date was April 5, 2012, if that helps. It was Spring break for a lot of kids on the East Coast, but I can't imagine families with kids would have caused that kind of crowd, since they tend to stick with more kid-themed areas such as Myrtle Beach and Disney and there didn't seem to be that many kids in the crowd.

Anyway, we will try it without the cruise ship this year and after Labor Day, and hopefully the crowd will be thinner.

ETA: I was curious, so I just googled events and found that the Family Circle Cup was in town that week. Does that attract huge crowds to the downtown area?

Last edited by canudigit; 08-12-2013 at 04:01 AM..

Old 08-12-2013, 06:34 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
IDK, maybe there was, I just know that we could barely walk down the sidewalk on many streets, and there were long lines for everything. We have been to Charleston many times, and I have never, in twenty-five years, seen it like it was that day. The date was April 5, 2012, if that helps. It was Spring break for a lot of kids on the East Coast, but I can't imagine families with kids would have caused that kind of crowd, since they tend to stick with more kid-themed areas such as Myrtle Beach and Disney and there didn't seem to be that many kids in the crowd.

Anyway, we will try it without the cruise ship this year and after Labor Day, and hopefully the crowd will be thinner.

ETA: I was curious, so I just googled events and found that the Family Circle Cup was in town that week. Does that attract huge crowds to the downtown area?
I'm pretty sure April 5, 2012 would have been the Thursday before the Cooper River Bridge Run. Yes, lots of traffic and congestion. The Family Circle Cup was also going that week but I don't think that event causes traffic problems downtown.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:18 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
I'm pretty sure April 5, 2012 would have been the Thursday before the Cooper River Bridge Run. Yes, lots of traffic and congestion. The Family Circle Cup was also going that week but I don't think that event causes traffic problems downtown.
I think the issue on that day was probably Spring Break + Bridge Run. The cruise ship was in port on Saturday, we took my in-laws to get on it. Downtown didn't seem any more crowded that usual on a Saturday in the summer. But, if you just want to avoid Charleston on that day, it's interesting that we have a site that lists it out...

If you like sitting on the tables outside the Harris Teeter and using the WiFi, they will be packed on cruise ship day. The crew gets off and heads there to stock up on snacks and get on their laptops.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:00 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times
we go down to Charleston fairly often, and now that i think of it near every time there's been a ship docked there. Never really noticed any more issues with foot traffic or lines then on any Sat/Sun really from spring thru fall anyhow. We've just learned if we want to spend the day downtown, then we get there early so parking is easy; we can hit the main shops/sites we want to, and grab a lunch without sitting in a line that's too long. And frankly for that part, one can have a wait at many eateries for lunch or dinner, regardless if it's in Charleston's downtown, in Columbia, or "pick a city"......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area