U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 07:07 PM

49 posts, read 69,972 times

Advertisements

We may have to relocate from south FL to SC. We will have flexibility about exactly where. I've never been to SC so I'm trying to learn as much as I can on the net before getting there in order to narrow down the search.

1. Beaches. Beach life is important to me. Are the beaches in the Charleston area accessible to the public? or are they basically the private back yards to the rich? (I have nothing against the rich, just asking because there are many areas here in FL that are like that and I want to make sure I can actually use the beach if I move somewhere that has one)

2. Flooding. I've read that flooding can be "an issue" is this just certain areas? or all over?

3. Cost of living. Charleston has a higher COL than other areas of the state, I'm curious about why.

We are a family with elementary age children. Currently I'm looking at Charleston, Greenville, Columbia and Myrtle Beach. Any advice for us would be helpful and appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 08:45 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,338,417 times
If "beach life is important" to you, you wouldn't want Columbia or Greenville...

Old 07-06-2013, 11:44 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,384,888 times
I've lived in Myrtle Beach for 4 years and Greenville for 2 years before moving to Charleston this year. If you need to be by the beach, obviously I wouldn't recommend Greenville. But it is a great town with awesome costs of living. As far as MB goes, I'd really think twice about moving there. Yes, some people enjoy it, but I hated living there. Economy is all tourist driven and it never felt like home because of the constant tourists that come into town. Cost of living is much lower (may be because of how many rentals/homes are available on the market). Ever since moving to Charleston, I still haven't figured out why COL is so much higher. My apartment here costs $400 more a month than I paid for a 1BR in MB and Greenville. But you also get to live in one of the most beautiful areas of SC. You get what you pay for I guess. And for beaches, 99% have public access. Areas like Seabrook is where you need to be a resident to have beach access.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:48 PM

7,934 posts, read 16,630,121 times
All the beaches in SC are Public, if you can get to it without crossing private property then you can use it, even the beaches at Kiawah and Seabrook....

The COL in Charleston is higher that is why I live in Summerville, 35~45minutes to the beach, very little worry about flooding....

Old 07-06-2013, 11:52 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,384,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
All the beaches in SC are Public, if you can get to it without crossing private property then you can use it, even the beaches at Kiawah and Seabrook....
Oh, I thought Seabrook was private?

Old 07-06-2013, 11:55 PM

7,934 posts, read 16,630,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
Oh, I thought Seabrook was private?
No the beaches are public, the problem is getting to them, if you pull up by boat then they can't do anything about it.......

Old 07-07-2013, 08:09 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,939,486 times
The flooding is an issue downtown, but most of us don't live downtown... most residential areas are places like West Ashley, Mt. Pleasant, Summerville, Goose Creek, North Charleston, etc. I guess individual areas in those places could have flooding issues, but mainly you hear about the flooding downtown (with rain + tides).

All of the beaches here are great. You have 3 beaches super close- Isle of Palms, Folly, and Sullivan's Island. Kiawah/Seabrook is a little further out, and there is a public one there, Beachwalker Park is what I think it's called?

The Charleston area really is a great place to live . There are tourists here but nothing like Myrtle Beach where the economy is almost all tourist driven.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:19 AM

49 posts, read 69,972 times
For us, we'd be moving there with a job already and the pay would be the same regardless of the city we choose, so the higher cost of living in Charleston is a concern. Everything else about the place seems great.
I don't mind the tourists, I currently live in a tourist spot so I'm used to it. I think my concern about Myrtle Beach would be the size of the town. I am currently living in a town that has 140,000 residents and MB has less than 30,000. It may be culture shock for me! The low cost of housing and beach accessibility is what is attracting me.
The only reason I'm still looking at Greenville & Columbia is that they are larger cities with lower COL. It would be an adjustment for me to give up the beach, but if I can pocket 300 or 400 dollars a month because of cheaper housing... it is tempting.

Your responses have all been helpful. Any suggestions on things I should check out when I make it up to see your town in person? I don't want to do the tourist stuff, I'd like to try and see how the locals live so I can make my decision.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:54 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,078,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellMitch View Post
For us, we'd be moving there with a job already and the pay would be the same regardless of the city we choose, so the higher cost of living in Charleston is a concern. Everything else about the place seems great.
I don't mind the tourists, I currently live in a tourist spot so I'm used to it. I think my concern about Myrtle Beach would be the size of the town. I am currently living in a town that has 140,000 residents and MB has less than 30,000. It may be culture shock for me! The low cost of housing and beach accessibility is what is attracting me.
The only reason I'm still looking at Greenville & Columbia is that they are larger cities with lower COL. It would be an adjustment for me to give up the beach, but if I can pocket 300 or 400 dollars a month because of cheaper housing... it is tempting.

Your responses have all been helpful. Any suggestions on things I should check out when I make it up to see your town in person? I don't want to do the tourist stuff, I'd like to try and see how the locals live so I can make my decision.
Summerville and Goose Creek are more reasonable than Mt. Pleasant/Charleston, as far as housing.

I've heard a lot of people from Florida say that SC/NC are more expensive. COL is all relative because being from New England....we find the COL dreamy. It definitely is something to consider when relocating so I can see your concern.

You couldn't pay me to live in Columbia. I just don't find it very appealing. I'd pick the Charlotte, NC area over Columbia. We lived just south of Charlotte and other than the proximity to the beach, we enjoyed it.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:29 AM

7,937 posts, read 19,545,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellMitch View Post

We lived in Boca and moved back to NC for a Career Move for hubby, We too are looking in the Charelston Area and very excited...I have to tell you if you LOVE the Water and the Beach you will not be happy not living so close..That is the one of the biggest reasons we do not like living here , We miss South Florida and being near the water so much but wont be returning for quite a few reasons at this point maybe later on in life who knows, Our concern too was the High Cost of living as well, especially compared to Where we live in South Charlotte...South Florida is extremely expensive to live, and NC is quite inexpensive..We are also looking in Mt Pleasant right now we might not need schools, Originally we talked about renting for the summer and breaks and at that point would not need a High School, However if my hubby is able to work remotely sooner than we thought we are re-thinking and possibly doing the move next year before our daughter starts High Schoo as our son is a freshman in College..so I will be doing more Research on the Area...When I did the Salary Calculator from Boca to Charleston it was very similar, when I did it from NC to Charleston well there was quite a bit difference in Salary so to speak....Unfortunately whenever you want the best schools you will pay the price for it which is why we lived in Boca and why we live in the area we live now...
From everything I am reading, it sounds like the Charleston Area has alot of wonderful things to offer, Nice people which is what we are looking for and lots to do...Biggest plus Palm Trees for me..lol and being Close to the Water and a Better quality of life than South Florida!!

Good Luck to you and your family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area