Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 04:44 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,971,642 times

Advertisements

amenities??

It appears Snee Farm has amenities, but I read that you have to belong to the Country Club to use the pool. Is that true?? That would be a deciding factor. Don't think we can afford to do that, and we're not CC people.

Belle Hall I know has a pool. Can't tell with Sweetgrass.

Wondering how these subdivisions compare to each other - location, distance to grocery, etc.

We've seen them all, like them all. Snee Farm and Sweegrass seem a bit pricier than Belle Hall, and it seems that Belle Hall would fit our budget better (300K).

Looks like Belle Hall is close to 526 (? noise issues) but the other 2 appear close to 17 so perhaps it's six of one, half dozen of another?

Snee Farm is lovely with the trees, but I worry about having to reno a home - a lot of the homes appear dated.

We like the Shoppes at Belle Hall being right across the street - lots of things we would use - CVS, Harris Teeter, Starbucks, banks, kitchen store, etc. - and Sweetgrass has Seaside Shoppes right across the street.

Looks like all 3 are pretty equal in distance from downtown C'ton, the beach, Shem Creek, Towne Center, and East Cooper Hospital. What's hard to know is how traffic affects travel time.

Belle Hall has a Harris Teeter across the street. What would be the nearest grocery to Sweetgrass (I think there was one in Seaside Shoppes - Piggly Wiggly?) and Snee Farm?

Does anyone know if any of these developments offer walking trails, green space and/or sidewalks? We were so busy looking at houses, we didn't notice!

Thanks. They all look lovely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 06:09 AM

859 posts, read 1,352,885 times
I believe you can get just a swim membership in Snee Farm -you'd have to check the country club site, though.

And I think the noise level in Belle Hall would depend on where your house is - some of them are rather far from 526.

As far as shopping amenities between Belle Hall and Sweetgrass, I'd choose Belle Hall - I think they have more 'practical' shops there than Sweetgrass does, but that's just me.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:41 AM

Thanks so much!

Snee Farm might be out then if we have to buy into the amenities. We may not use them, but if the others offer them for free, that is a factor, also the factor or seemingly outdated homes.

Does anyone know if Sweetgrass offers any amenities (the original Sweetgrass, not the new Sweetgrass Village). I checked their HOA site, but it does not say. Perhaps not them.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:35 AM

217 posts, read 571,062 times
My parents live in Belle Hall and love it. There's a pool, tennis courts, volleyball court, basketball court, and a nice sized room that residents can rent to host a party. They live in Hibben (towards the back of the subdivision), so noise isn't an issue. They love being so close to the interstate and the stores. Having to travel 10+ minutes to get to the interstate, I am quite jealous! Belle Hall has sidewalks and has several walking trails that lead to the marsh.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:39 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,736,355 times
I thought you had to buy in to use the pool/whatever at most neighborhoods one way or another - either through membership or paying it through HOA dues. I doubt you'll find a free ride here.

edit: Hibben = $515/year + Belle Hall charges a $250 HOA transfer fee and a $250 initial assessment to be paid by the buyer at closing according to their respective websites.

A while ago someone said Snee Farm was $300/year, but info about that area and whether it comes with the pool is harder to come by.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:56 AM

Yes, understand they will all have an HOA fee, but read that Snee Farm does not allow use of amenities unless you purchase a CC membership.

Anyone on this board live in Snee Farm?

Old 06-02-2013, 11:00 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,736,355 times
If no one here lives there, it looks like they do swim only memberships.

Snee Farm Country Club - Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
but you'd have to use their contact page to get the cost. FWIW I've known at least two people in a house in Snee Farm that had a pool in their back yard so there's always option #3...

We looked at several houses over there and it's a real mix. Some have been redone completely and looked great. Others had what would have been a bad floor plan from 1983 that only got worse over time.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:43 AM

859 posts, read 1,352,885 times
I live in 'old, run down' Snee Farm, and yes, you do have to purchase a CC membership for the amenities. They do offer separate swimming memberships. HOA fees are a little over $300/year - I'd have to check for the exact amount, but not much over.

One of the things I love about Snee Farm is there seems to be a lot of 'pride of ownership', and mostly folks take good care of their homes and yards. When property values tanked a few years ago, the values in Snee Farm didn't take nearly as big a dip as other divisions.

Yes, we've done a LOT of reno to our house, but its value has increased by about 1/3 from the purchase price in 2003.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:51 AM

I don't think Snee Farm is "old and run down". We thought it was the most beautiful subdivision that we visited - and we visited a lot.

We loved, loved, loved the mature trees, and then the open areas. Some of the homes were absolutely gorgeous. We loved that the homes were sited so nicely and were all different.

I know from other's comments that "some" of the homes are outdated and would need some updating. Being on a retiree's fixed income, we can't afford to get into that mode.

That said, if we could find a home in our price range that has been remodeled, Snee Farm would at the very top of our list due to it's beauty and location and large yards.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:58 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,965,566 times
Just be aware the more amenities a neighborhood has, the more the HOA dues. Personally, I think $300/yr is a flipping bargain. Plenty of neighborhoods around here, you'll be paying close to $1000/yr for HOA dues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area