Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 04:13 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,029,554 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about something.

We've saw Carolina Park our last trip. There wasn't a whole lot there at the time, but the homes looked very nice.

We have yet to see Tupelo, but will our next trip out Labor Day weekend.

What I can't understand is the price differential. Even the "cheaper" homes in Carolina Park (Ryland? I can't remember. They were were on the non-David Weekly side - LOL) were expensive (to us anyway).

Tupelo homes are WAY cheaper. Why is that?

I know that Carolina Park is "supposed" to have a lot of amenities, but I know how that goes. Depending on the economy, it may or may not ever happen, or may take way longer than projected.

So seeing that Tupelo - from what people have said - is "right next to" Carolina Park, what is the reason for the huge price difference? It's well over 100K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 04:57 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,976,026 times
You are comparing cement plank homes to vinyl siding homes.

The square footage differences.

While the model over in Tupelo is quite cute, the bedrooms are very small. Very...

There are other differences of course.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:10 PM

25 posts, read 39,829 times
We bought in Tupelo but did look at the Carolina Park models. One big difference is the lowcountry styling of Carolina Park versus the traditional style of the Tupelo houses, I don't think CP homes are on slabs and they have more "grandeur" and presence. Ceilings are hmm I believe 10' on the first floor of the CP homes versus 9' over at Tupelo. CP comes with a sprinkler system and sod and you only get sod at Tupelo. They will both have amenities but my understanding is CP's will be more extensive.
Overall, I think they're trying to play up the upscale feel at CP.. from the landscaping, the neighborhood itself as well as the look of the homes. My understanding is that options at the design center are more or less the same for the interiors.
In the end, there was nothing compelling enough to us about CP to justify the price difference -we wanted to put more into options and things we would enjoy on a daily basis so we went with the lower start point.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:48 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,111,638 times
If you tour the models of each of the builders you should see the difference in the builders. Finishes, deisgn features, etc. and add the amenities package in any community and that willl impact final price.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:51 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,295,912 times
We toured both today out of curiosity. Tupelo is nice but just seems more starter home-ish.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:45 PM

55 posts, read 85,772 times
I agree with your post. Have you looked at the floor plans for tupelo forest(2nd phase). Those floor plans go up to 3600 sq ft which are bigger that what ryland is building in Carolina park. I think the price diff has to do with the fact that cp is more Lowcountry style homes while tupelo is more traditional styling...not that that justifies the pricing difference on my eyes. Also Carolina park gives you the option of multiple builders whereas tupelo is strictly ryland. We've walked through all the models in both developments and I certainly could. It justify spending the $ in Carolina park when you can get a bigger house with the same upgrades in tupelo.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:52 PM

55 posts, read 85,772 times
It's also worth mentioning that tupelo is selling at a mich faster rate than Carolina park. Tupelo had pricing increases before 1 home was even built in the development bc it was selling so well. It's actually setting the pace for price increases ahead of cp

Old 08-04-2013, 08:04 AM

Tupelo is selling at a faster rate because it is a lower price product...kind of like the Target vs. Nordstrom thing. Target sells WAY more volume.

They are two different products and it is like comparing apples and oranges.....

Old 08-04-2013, 08:14 AM

There are other factors. If you check out Ryland's website you see that for Tupelo a 'garden tub' is an option (code for extra expense) in Carolina Park that is standard. I would bet there are other finishes that are optional in Tupelo but standard in Carolina Park. That's what I mean when I say they are different products.

Having said that -- some folks don't need a garden tub...or tile in all the bathrooms or tile in the laundry room, etc ......but all those extras add up if you do want them. The builders mark up those extras. In our last house in Georgia we knew the builder and they gave us a decent rate on the actual price of the home but the real deal came in on the extras. We made less than half for all the upgrades we wanted. That was because the builder had more play with those extras than they did with the actual sale price of the house. Builders don't have a HUGE profit margin on each house. It's cut pretty tight in most cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area