Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 12:46 PM

11 posts, read 18,383 times

Advertisements

Hi! My hubby and I are considering moving from Maine, and we are wondering about the cost of living and how it compares to Maine. Any info is appreciated.

We pay $4.15 for 2% milk
Gas is 3.79 a gallon
Rent for a 1 bedroom is 675. 2 bedrooms approx 750-800
Oranges are about $6-$7 a bag
Lobster -really cheap
Apples about $1.50-$2.00 /lb
High Speed internet $50
Toll Roads- $5.50 to go to the Maine mall which is about 40 minutes away

We have an income tax
We paid about $300 to register our car

As a side note, we are aware of the crime rate, originally, I am from Florida, he is from Buffalo, so it will not come as a shock to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 01:07 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,181,268 times
We are originally from Maine. Sounds like you live near my parents but I think they pay 1.50 to get to the mall. NO TOLLS here. I went back to Maine last month and was reminded how much I hate tolls. Property tax is low here but if you have kids, you'll be paying more in things like school supplies, etc.

We love South Carolina and moved out of maybe 9 years ago (1st to the Charlotte, Nc area and now Charleston). Cost of living is also dependent where in the Charleston area you will be living. You'll also notice a shift in utility bills....higher in the summer here than in Maine. Also, many people live in subdivisions and if you buy you'll be paying HOA fees (Maine is almost non-existent of subdivisions and HOAs so this was a HUGE adjustment for us).

Old 08-15-2013, 02:59 PM

103 posts, read 217,939 times
I am from Maine as well (Farmington/New Vineyard to be exact). I have only been here for about 6 months now, but have found this to be the only other place starting to feel like 'home' besides Maine. I have lived in Virginia, Charlotte NC, and Atlanta and this is the first place since living in Maine where I feel content. I find that Historic Downtown has a similar feel to Freeport and Bar Harbor in regard to the charm, shopping and dining options and being so close to the water.

You will be disappointed here with the lobster as #1 it is hard to find and #2 is not served like it is in New England (this for me, of course, was not a deal breaker *wink). There are no tolls here which is AWESOME having experiences paying them daily for my commute in both Maine & Atlanta. It will take you a little bit to get used to the humidity in the summer months and some people here complain of the mosquitos and black flies, but, being from Maine you should feel at home, lol.

I think you will love it here. Let us know if you have any other questions/concerns.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:43 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,591,759 times
Milk here runs around $3.70 - $4.20 a gallon. Sometimes it is on sale for $2.99 a gallon.

The gas station on my way home from work has been right around $3.28 a gallon for at least a month now.

I don't remember what I paid for oranges. I only eat them in the winter, and only Florida oranges. I was very happy to find Florida oranges everywhere here! I used to order them from Florida all winter before moving here.

I don't buy apples here anymore. They are terrible. I have yet to find a good apple. I might have to order them from an orchard up north this year.

I just saw small lobsters at the grocery store and they were $10.99 per lobster.

Rent will depend on where you choose to live.

If you like corn on the cob, you will be very happy here. It is sold year round in the grocery stores!

Old 08-15-2013, 09:39 PM

376 posts, read 727,730 times
Rent for one bedroom will probably be in the 750-1000 range, with Mount Pleasant being the most expensive area. Rents have skyrocketed in the southeast due to the poor housing market and more people renting.

You'll probably pay about 50 bucks for high speed internet. I usually get cable and internet together for 100 dollars or so. They usually give you a discount the first year.

You'll probably pay a similar property tax on your car in SC.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:30 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,503,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
I don't buy apples here anymore. They are terrible. I have yet to find a good apple. I might have to order them from an orchard up north this year.
What is up with this?! I've tried getting apples at Wal-Mart, Publix, and Food Lion and they just taste nasty. I am craving them too.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:38 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,591,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
What is up with this?! I've tried getting apples at Wal-Mart, Publix, and Food Lion and they just taste nasty. I am craving them too.
They are probably bad because they have to be shipped from somewhere since it is too warm to grow them in this area. I am pretty sure there are some orchards in the upstate. That might be a good day trip.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:28 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,181,268 times
I think rent is typically less expensive here but it is hard to compare because it would be like comparing Westbrook to Portland or Portland to Westbrook. There are also an abundance of rentals and I think the Portland area actually has a shortfall (driving the prices up).

There is also a different set up here. For instance, in Maine you get a lot of large homes converted or made for multi-families. Here they have apartment complexes with amenities.

This area (most SC/NC places near populated areas) is designed by subdivisions. This is also very different than Maine. Homes are built on small lots and therefore the prices are more reasonable (generally speaking). You can get more for your money here but if you buy in a subdivision (most likely you will because it is hard to find something outside a subdivision), you will also pay HOA fees.

Steamers run 4.99-6.99 a lb and lobster is 10.99-13.99 lb.

Milk prices vary. You don't have to pay deposits on cans/bottles. There is also an abundance of grocery stores within close proximity to one another so you can shop sales. Some stores I don't shop at because I think their prices are high.

Hurry up and get here.....

Old 08-16-2013, 07:41 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
I don't know -- I thought rent was high. Mind you coming from Atlanta --- where the cost of living is so low....maybe that's my reference point. AND I haven't rented anything in over 25 years. My kids did in Atlanta, and they are students who can live just about anywhere..

Old 08-16-2013, 08:55 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,503,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I don't know -- I thought rent was high. Mind you coming from Atlanta --- where the cost of living is so low....maybe that's my reference point. AND I haven't rented anything in over 25 years. My kids did in Atlanta, and they are students who can live just about anywhere..
I think rent is stupid high here compared to other SC towns. In Myrtle Beach, I paid $550 for a condo that was in the middle of everything and a 10-minute drive to the beach. In the Greenville area, I paid $525 for an apartment. I get here and my rent jumps to $900 and I'm in West Ashley. We are moving to Mt Pleasant in a few months and will be spending more than that.

I think one of the factors is because there are military bases here. Wherever there are bases, rent is always high because the government gives us base housing allowance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area