Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:22 AM

506 posts, read 1,025,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutmark View Post
I beg your pardon.... what is the VIN and how can I use it ??
VIN - Vehicle Identification Number

It can be used with a service such as Carfax - CARFAX® - Official Site - Vehicle History Reports on Used Cars for Sale - to check the vehicle history (accidents etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 12:15 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exupstateny View Post
VIN - Vehicle Identification Number

It can be used with a service such as Carfax - CARFAX® - Official Site - Vehicle History Reports on Used Cars for Sale - to check the vehicle history (accidents etc.).
Like the New Yorker said, just look or ask for the 16 digit Vehicle Identification number. It is in the door jam and up on the driver side of the dashboard.

And again, do not buy from Carmax, you will pay $3000.00- $5000.00 more than what a used car is worth.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:28 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Like the New Yorker said, just look or ask for the 16 digit Vehicle Identification number. It is in the door jam and up on the driver side of the dashboard.

And again, do not buy from Carmax, you will pay $3000.00- $5000.00 more than what a used car is worth.
I paid under blue book for my 4Runner. Couldn't find one that well-priced private. So, I guess it's a YMMV. I've had nothing but a good experience there. Really, if you buy at CarMax or private, the key is to do the necessary research beforehand.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:40 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I paid under blue book for my 4Runner. Couldn't find one that well-priced private. So, I guess it's a YMMV. I've had nothing but a good experience there. Really, if you buy at CarMax or private, the key is to do the necessary research beforehand.
We got a great deal on ours, as well. We had taken a lot of time to research on the internet so we knew what we were looking for. Before we stopped in the dealership, we knew exactly which vehicles we wanted to test drive. We did our window shopping online and went in with a price we were willing to pay.

I'm sure everyone has their own experiences, but like yours, ours was a good one.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:42 PM

155 posts, read 248,687 times
thanks friends for all this aswers, and advices.
and how much would it be an average premium for car's insurance?

Old 08-20-2013, 03:05 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,729 times
Your premium is based on a ton of factors...where you live, your driving history, the type of car...there's just no way to give you an "average premium" for just any car.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:55 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,729 times
One thing I forgot to mention... The premium also will differ depending on what insurance company you go with. Different companies offer different credits and deductions.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:41 AM

31 posts, read 67,717 times
Default Buying an used car

Carmax stays in business due to the general apathy of the buying public- in that many people do not want to do the heavy lifting when it comes to used car buying. They don't want to research the best car, get it inspected by a reputable service tech, negotiate the best deal, pre-arrange financing, etc.. They want to buy a car like buying a toaster- scratch that, I'll bet more people invest more time in finding the beat price on a toaster.

Carmax runs their reassuring ads, leading consumers to believe one will get the best deal and you don't have to worry about such silliness as comparison shopping- balderdash. I learned the hard way- I bought a 2004 RX8 from them- I could have made a much better deal at a local used car dealer, even better on a private sale, I could have taken it to my mechanic for a detailed inspection, and been much happier.

Shop around. Get knowledgeable on what suits your needs the best. Find a GOOD mechanic, and then INSIST on taking the car to him for evaluation. If the dealer or person balks- walk away- they have something to hide. If you are financing the car, get it arranged in advance- you are essentially dealing in cash then, and the old "if we get the payment right, will you buy today?" goes away.

Good luck- car buying can be fun, frustrating, depressing and exhilirating at the same time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area