Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 05:50 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,009,330 times

Advertisements

I know many of you have a dog or dogs, so hoping you can shed some light as to the reality of having one in the Charleston area (MP specifically) and how you deal with the "critters".

Obviously, SC isn't the only area you have to be careful - we have ticks that carry Lyme disease here, fleas and skunks, racoons, etc.

Not having had a dog since a child, I learned the hard way that we have to be careful when my husband let our dog out off leash (with him tagging along) in our small fenced courtyard here. A skunk was in the courtyard, and our dog attacked it or vice versa and our dog killed the skunk. After a series of rabies shots, it's not an experience we want to repeat.

So, we hope to have a house with a smallish yard which would be grassed and fenced. Experience tells me fences don't keep out the critters. My husband thinks he is going to just "let the dog out" at night to do her business and I tell him I don't think that's wise after what happened to us, and with the added critters down there - copperheads, etc.

So.... how do you all with dogs handle this? How do you protect them?

We've taken to walking to a small "park" near our home for her "business" - day and night, and never let her out in the the backyard anymore other than during the day where the only thing to worry about is the occaisional squirrel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 06:19 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
You're over thinking this. You have a grassy fenced in yard, your dog will be fine.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:09 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,940,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
You're over thinking this. You have a grassy fenced in yard, your dog will be fine.
Agreed, we have gators frequently, so she's on a lead. (no fences) No problem in over a year. It IS irritating when she digs out near the house and then hunkers down in the sand, how can you fix that? (besides eliminate the digger)

Old 08-26-2013, 10:12 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
Agreed, we have gators frequently, so she's on a lead. (no fences) No problem in over a year. It IS irritating when she digs out near the house and then hunkers down in the sand, how can you fix that? (besides eliminate the digger)
Get her a sandbox??

Old 08-26-2013, 10:55 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,949 times
We have a small fenced in yard and have a doggy door. My dog goes in an out all hours of the day and night and we have never had a problem. We did have a big snake by the door once, but it wasn't a venomous one and it slithered away before our dog went out.

Lyme disease shouldn't be too much of a concern here. My dog has lyme disease and my vet said he only sees it in dogs that came here from the north. You probably don't have to worry about skunks either. I'm pretty sure there are skunks here, but I have not seen one. I think I smelled one once (at least I think it was a skunk). My dog was sprayed by one up north when she decided she wanted to play with one.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:20 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,940,737 times
Quote:
Get her a sandbox??
Now wouldn't the cats in the community just love that?

She already eats the goose poop

Old 08-26-2013, 12:48 PM

142 posts, read 270,154 times
Quote:
Yeah, a fenced yard (6 or 7' privacy fencing) is sufficient, in most residential neighborhoods you aren't going to have a lot of animals getting in a 6' fence.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:16 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
Good grief....you are worrying to much over this. Get over it and move on to something productive to assist in the move. Save the energy you will need it.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:39 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,490 times
No kidding. Worrying over ridiculous stuff. We have a huge yard, it's NOT fenced in, and we just take our 3.8-pound Yorkie out on a leash. We've never had a problem in the 2-1/2 years we've owned her.

You're over thinking this.
Good grief....you are worrying to much over this.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:19 AM

334 posts, read 625,994 times
our dogs are on flea and tick stuff, Front Line. I've seen a couple ticks on them, both dead. we live in a rainforest on Hilton head island, so we have woods all around us, we spray the yard once a month with natural stuff that smells great and has citrus and eucalyptus oil in it . Keeps fleas, mosquitoes and ticks down to manageable, and we can be outside at night without being chewed and it harms neither bird nor beast.
I keep 20 mule team borax on hand and twice a month ( night before bath day ), and sprinkle it on my carpets... we have NO flea problem or dog order in the house because of this practice ( the borax dries up any flea eggs that might be around and is a great natural deodorizer).

Last edited by LPnerd; 08-31-2013 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: spelling, as usual
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area