Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 04:01 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,996,345 times

Advertisements

The OP has repeated several times she is quite liberal. Does no one else see that as an issue with living here? Personally, I think someone who is quite liberal would be unhappy in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 04:48 PM

65 posts, read 96,011 times
Thunderkat59: I appreciate your response and honesty. I particularly liked your comment re: baristas : ) I'm not sure we're cool enough for Asheville anyway : ) I think we would really like Charleston- though I won't know for sure til we take our road trip- but I'm not sure we can afford it...

Southbel: I'm not sure I said quite liberal, though we do lean left politically, mostly on social issues. But that does not infer that we need to be in a place that is overwhelmingly liberal. In fact I might prefer moderate. If you don't feel I will find that there I appreciate your insight and opinion.

More important is the other factors I mentioned: affordability, good schools, weather, culture, diversity, politeness and values, etc.

Can you speak to any of these things, by chance? Thank you!

Old 09-07-2013, 04:54 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,645,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
The OP has repeated several times she is quite liberal. Does no one else see that as an issue with living here? Personally, I think someone who is quite liberal would be unhappy in this area.
Im quite liberal . . . A Green party advocate. I am very comfortable in Charleston.
I live in KY but spend a lot of time in SC. Both places with lots of conservatives. I find treating people with respect gets you that in return, no matter where you are. If the OP is going to not like an area, I believe it will be due to the culture availability, not the people.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:22 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
You may want to check out Greenville, SC. Very affordable and lots to do. It does come with intense heat though. You can't escape that in SC.
I agree with Greenville. The humidity and heat is nothing like FL. At least it cools down in the evening through the morning. It still is warm if you're not used to it but you can get eventually used to it.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:33 PM

74 posts, read 129,684 times
Quote:
I don't think it would be a problem. I know lots of liberals here. If there's anywhere in South Carolina where liberals can feel comfortable it's Charleston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Old 09-07-2013, 10:49 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,586,044 times
Quote:
I'm very liberal and have no problems here at all. I love living in the Charleston area.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:46 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,177,298 times
We moved from coastal Maine 9 years ago to the Charlotte NC area. We moved to Charleston a little over 2 years ago now. Happiness for us is living close to the coast and being able to be outdoors without freezing our tush off. We liked the Charlotte area but we missed the coast. We have 3 kids and I'm still getting used to the crime BUT it is all relative because we moved from an area in Maine with very little crime. The schools are huge down here....also relative to what we were used to. Summer humidity can be pretty intense but this summer we had more breaks than the 2 summers prior (only thing I have to compare). For us it is weird being on the soccer field in 95 degree weather.... Fall sports don't feel "fall".

What I would do if I were you....I'd pull up weather.com and put some towns as your favorite so you can compare weather for awhile.

My brother lives in the panhandle of Florida and the temp/humidity isn't much different. Warmer weather might kick up a couple weeks earlier but it is very comparable to Charleston weather.

My husband has always worked for the same corporation so we haven't had to job search.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:16 PM

65 posts, read 96,011 times
Sprouts:
Thank you very much for your response. I feel that happiness for us would be living close to the coast and being outdoors without freezing- it's more an issue for us of whether we can afford that privilege...can you speak to the prices there for rentals, if you are familiar with that information?

I wasn't aware that the crime in Charleston was a concern- can you speak to that, as well?

: ) It's funny that you mentioned weather.com- I've been doing that for months now, pulling up average daily temps and average precipitation for various areas. Again, I don't think that humidity would be too much of a concern for us in terms of priorities- we just want to escape the cold, to be honest.

Again, thank you for your response, I appreciate it!

Old 09-08-2013, 04:25 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,177,298 times
I'm very liberal....I believe in gay marriage, etc. However, when it comes to the government I want them as frugal as possible. I guess that makes me socially liberal. My family and I don't attend church.

I can easily live among conservatives and those that are religious. It really isn't difficult to live in Charleston, even with a liberal state of mind. You just have to realize that it is more conservative than the north east but as long as you don't move to a place and expect to change everyone's opinion and you respect other's.....you'll be fine and happy. Personally, I like to live among those that aren't just like me and learn about their perspectives. Life would be boring living with a bunch of liberals.... I've become more conservative as I age but definitely considered liberal among the Carolina crowd.

Every time I mention crime many people disagree....but like I said, it is all relative. When I go back to my home town, I appreciate being able to leave my car doors unlocked and my windows open without much worry. Here I make sure my car is locked up at night and my doors are locked at all time. I don't live in fear but burglaries are fairly common, even in safe areas. There are certain areas that are known for gangs and drugs but plenty of areas that you can live and avoid that (more safe areas than gang/drug crime areas). There are crime pockets in all immediate Charleston towns. The crime isn't enough to drive us away so when I mention it, I don't want you to think it is at the same level as DC or Baltimore but I was surprised by the crime rate and how close and often it happens to my home. When you start looking, just be sure to ask around so locals can give you heads-up on whether they'd raise their families in that area.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:42 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,304,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
I'm very liberal....I believe in gay marriage, etc. However, when it comes to the government I want them as frugal as possible. I guess that makes me socially liberal. My family and I don't attend church.

I can easily live among conservatives and those that are religious. It really isn't difficult to live in Charleston, even with a liberal state of mind. You just have to realize that it is more conservative than the north east but as long as you don't move to a place and expect to change everyone's opinion and you respect other's.....you'll be fine and happy. Personally, I like to live among those that aren't just like me and learn about their perspectives. Life would be boring living with a bunch of liberals.... I've become more conservative as I age but definitely considered liberal among the Carolina crowd.

Every time I mention crime many people disagree....but like I said, it is all relative. When I go back to my home town, I appreciate being able to leave my car doors unlocked and my windows open without much worry. Here I make sure my car is locked up at night and my doors are locked at all time. I don't live in fear but burglaries are fairly common, even in safe areas. There are certain areas that are known for gangs and drugs but plenty of areas that you can live and avoid that (more safe areas than gang/drug crime areas). There are crime pockets in all immediate Charleston towns. The crime isn't enough to drive us away so when I mention it, I don't want you to think it is at the same level as DC or Baltimore but I was surprised by the crime rate and how close and often it happens to my home. When you start looking, just be sure to ask around so locals can give you heads-up on whether they'd raise their families in that area.
Liberal on social issues and conservative on economic issues is called libertarian. Welcome to the club!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area