Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 08:02 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,263,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethe View Post
It's pronounced 'leth-ey' with the 'ey' as in 'hey'.
I was close. I thought lethee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
That video is disgusting, racist, and not even funny.
I happen to live in SC and don't find anything disgusting or racist about this video it always seems everytime someone try to do something we always try to find fault, and we need to learn to start lifting one another up and stop trying to pull each other down, and stop please thinking everything is racist i'm sorry i'm so sick of that...

Old 12-18-2013, 05:01 PM

3,856 posts, read 4,567,149 times
Cumbahee = Cumbee

Old 12-19-2013, 06:17 PM

255 posts, read 608,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybank View Post
I happen to live in SC and don't find anything disgusting or racist about this video it always seems everytime someone try to do something we always try to find fault, and we need to learn to start lifting one another up and stop trying to pull each other down, and stop please thinking everything is racist i'm sorry i'm so sick of that...
I definitely agree with you! This video isn't racist or disgusting at all. I was just showing how dialects from Kingstree and Charleston are similar. I can talk about Kingstree because it was the place that I grew up. Hey bodybank, I bet the one who responded to me about this video being racist has no idea about the talent that the people from Kingstree and Williamsburg County have despite their circumstances. I know if someone is pointing one finger trying to pull faults, they will eventually have three fingers pointing back to their own faults.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:18 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,028,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
That is an awesome and accurate website. Pronounce Lancaster as Lan-kaster and locals in that area give you the stink eye and will correct you. I lived in that area and could never catch on.....and I tried. They say, "This is South Carolina, not Pennsylvania." Some get truly offended.
Lankaster but you have to pronounce the second A really quick. Almost Lankster.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:39 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,297,957 times
So how's this one pronounced? Gahagan

Is it GUH HAY GEN?

Old 05-03-2014, 03:16 PM

14,208 posts, read 14,601,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
The correct pronunciation in French is You-jhay (per a French friend of mine who is a linguist). Most pronounce the street Hugh-jee in Columbia, although some say Hugh-gerand a few say You-jee.
Same as the French would pronounce shi#-faced.....sha-farced...what do they know......LOL

Old saying that once a "foreign" word works itself into a language it should be pronounced in that language: Crepe in English is crape.....not crep....

Old 05-03-2014, 07:27 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,942,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
That is an awesome and accurate website. Pronounce Lancaster as Lan-kaster and locals in that area give you the stink eye and will correct you. I lived in that area and could never catch on.....and I tried. They say, "This is South Carolina, not Pennsylvania." Some get truly offended.
We always pronounced it Lang Caster on the island.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:28 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,942,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
So how's this one pronounced? Gahagan

Is it GUH HAY GEN?
Gah Hay Gen is how we always pronouced it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area