Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 05:44 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutmark View Post
really ? drive and talk on the phone is not prohibited by law ?
in whole SC ?
No, you are allowed to talk on the phone while driving in SC, except while driving on military bases then you will need to put the phone down or on speaker. Most states don't have laws that prohibit you from using a handheld device while driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 06:26 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
For the most part SC is one of the states that pretty much believes in less gov intervention in many areas of your life. This isn't a nanny state, for the most part. No helmet laws for motorcyclists. And quite honestly they shouldn't have passed this either. I agree with Rorytmeadows on this one.... less law, more education.

How do you prove I was texting vs looking up a phone number? It's funny how a police officer can text and drive but I can't.

I guess you're ok if you do it standing at a stop light.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:17 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,049 times
So I'm confused. We can't text/email at a complete stop? And this is only within Mt Pleasant city limits correct? So I mean people don't need to freak out too much. Yes it's horrible to text and drive but if you are an offender, MP isn't that big everyone.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:29 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times
This is nothing like the lack of a helmet law. If someone decides to drive and text that directly affects the safety of those around them. This is a common sense law and I'm glad it passed.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
So I'm confused. We can't text/email at a complete stop? And this is only within Mt Pleasant city limits correct? So I mean people don't need to freak out too much. Yes it's horrible to text and drive but if you are an offender, MP isn't that big everyone.
The ordinance does not apply to any person using the handheld communication device for:
o Voice communication while operating the vehicle
o Calling 9-1-1 or other emergency numbers to contact public safety forces
o Communication while maintaining a motor vehicle in a stationary and parked position

To me this says if I'm in a stationary position (stop light) text away, or it could mean you have to be both stationary and parked... but then when are you parked and not stationary?

Of course I guess I can't use my phone's bluetooth and speech to text feature or listen to it read me a text because that would be 'use of handheld electronic communication devices to draft, transmit, or review an email or text'.

This is why it didn't need to be passed. The law can't deal with the speed and diversity of technology. In its nanny state it tries to lay a blanket law that's just silly with many modern phones. Education of responsible people is better.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
[b] Education of responsible people is better.
If education is the solution then why have any laws at all? Why not just say, we don't need speed limits or drivers license requirements or any traffic laws whatsoever because we can just teach one another how to drive safely? I'll just trust the other guy to make a good decision?

I'll tell you why. Because people are fundamentally irresponsible for the most part. And without laws like no texting and driving, people would continue to do it because they believe they can do it more safely than everyone else. Until they rear end someone.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:33 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
For the most part SC is one of the states that pretty much believes in less gov intervention in many areas of your life. This isn't a nanny state, for the most part. No helmet laws for motorcyclists. And quite honestly they shouldn't have passed this either. I agree with Rorytmeadows on this one.... less law, more education.

How do you prove I was texting vs looking up a phone number? It's funny how a police officer can text and drive but I can't.

I guess you're ok if you do it standing at a stop light.
Because the can subpoena your phone records to see the text time stamps if needed.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:57 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
If education is the solution then why have any laws at all? Why not just say, we don't need speed limits or drivers license requirements or any traffic laws whatsoever because we can just teach one another how to drive safely? I'll just trust the other guy to make a good decision?

I'll tell you why. Because people are fundamentally irresponsible for the most part. And without laws like no texting and driving, people would continue to do it because they believe they can do it more safely than everyone else. Until they rear end someone.
You do realize people are going to continue to do it. I know of over a dozen people in NY state that still do it and their ban is 1-2 years old.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Because the can subpoena your phone records to see the text time stamps if needed.

Yes they can, but that requires a whole lot more effort and money well after the fact of the officer simply making an observation during a very small window of time. You're asking an officer to make a judgement on a driver with the only indication that they are looking at what appears to be an electronic device (if visible). You're not allowed to read an email, but you can look at a web page, play a game, look up phone numbers, virtually everything else a modern smart phone can do other than read or respond to a text or email. But, you can't have your phone read your message or take dictation from a hands free device.

If you give me a ticket for speeding or another traffic violation, there is much more substantial evidence the officer has to say with little doubt that I was doing something against the law. So now we go to court and the DA has to go through an entire discovery procedure just for a traffic ticket based on a hunch by the officer. And just because I got a text or email around the time of the observation doesn't mean I was reading it.. I could have been looking at a picture of my dog.

As already pointed out, if distracted driving is the issue, then why didn't they go after the other factors of distracted driving and make those illegal too? Why single out specific functions of electronic devices? Why not just taking your eyes off the road to look at.. anything... your radio, the person next to you, the kids in the back seat screaming. Speaking of screaming kids... we probably need to make it illegal for your kids to throw a fit or spill a drink in the back seat... guys shaving.. women putting on makeup. The list can go on and on.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
You do realize people are going to continue to do it. I know of over a dozen people in NY state that still do it and their ban is 1-2 years old.
I understand that. Are you suggesting that we shouldn't have laws because some people might still break them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area