Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 04:47 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times

Advertisements

They also need a law to ban sneezing while driving. Close your eyes, sneeze and next thing you know you're halfway in the next lane. I'm sure our fearless leaders could come up with a permit schedule, application fees, and fines for noncompliance for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 06:39 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgruber View Post
I can't honestly believe anyone would be a against this law. Its for our safety as DJdeadParrot said. Its not the government stepping into our rights. Texting while driving is unsafe, just as drinking and driving is unsafe. Texting takes your eyes and attention away from the road. Helmet laws are completely different, that's your own personal safety vs others safety. What I really can't believe is the new cars that are coming out with Facebook in their navigation unit. Yeah thats what we need is people checking their status and pictures of friends while cruising down the highway or driving in a neighborhood with children. But I guess as Americans, we should have the rights to possibly run over a child on a bicycle in a 10000lb SUV, because we don't want the govt stepping in and taking our rights to text while drive away, right?

Ahhh but I guess you missed it. It's perfectly legal to update your Facebook. It's texting and emails that are the devil.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:55 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Ahhh but I guess you missed it. It's perfectly legal to update your Facebook. It's texting and emails that are the devil.
There's also twitter.

I'm sitting at a red light #traffic #istakingforever #omgmove

Old 09-16-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
#omgmove

Ok I don't care who you are.. that was funny.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:39 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Incorrect.

Use shall mean holding an electronic portable device while viewing, taking or transmitting images, playing games or composing, sending, reading, viewing, accessing, browsing, transmitting, saving email, text messages or other electronic data.

Two important points. You have to be holding it (hands free is ok). And "other electronic data" certainly encompasses Facebook, Twitter, etc.

http://www.tompsc.com/DocumentCenter/View/8138

Old 09-16-2013, 11:46 AM

I'll grant you that one now lizardspock since I didn't take time to pull the document and based an opinion on a news article. See what happens when you trust in their reporting?

It still doesn't change the fact that another law was not required when a Distracted Driving law already existed. They're trying to get into the legal definition of catching someone do something that is incredibly difficult in some cases to prove. Instead, just basing it on being distracted. Holding it's ok. Looking at it in standby is ok.. but you have to prove the phone's program was accessed at the time of the observation. I can be looking at my pictures and there's no record of that in the phone at all (iOS, Android, or Windows Phone audit logs to maintain this level of detail). If you subpena the information you'll get nowhere too.

Manipulating Pandora on my in car stereo is ok.. but to do it on my phone is bad. Along the same lines I guess those stereos where you can play MP3s via aux from your device is now out.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:58 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
Just get a windshield dock and do whatever you want.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:33 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,049 times
Can I use that texting feature where you speak into the phone and it types out the words for you? I mean, that just looks like you are talking on the speaker...

Old 09-17-2013, 05:54 AM

According to the actual document lizardspock linked, only if you use a Bluetooth headset/car and don't use your hands to navigate the device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area