Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 08:19 PM

8 posts, read 24,016 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from upstate New York to either South Carolina or North Carolina and have an adult child with special needs. Does anyone have experience navigating the services that are available? Ideally, I would like to find supported housing and either a day program or sheltered employment for my daughter (26). Are the services available in one state better than the other? I have really been leaning towards Charleston, but I am open to other areas on the coast. I don't have to worry about finding a job as I am lucky enough to be able to keep the same job. Besides the services for my daughter, the other things important to me are to be near the water, to be able to find an affordable rental that will accept two 35-45 lb very well behaved dogs and two cats, friendly neighbors, and preferably woods nearby for long walks. I currently volunteer with a dog rescue group and would love to do something similar or possibly do pet therapy work (one of my pups is a certified therapy dog). My son will also be coming and would need to find a job in the automotive sales area. Too tall of an order to get all of this in one place?

One additional important item is horse stables nearby

Last edited by kkimmy2006; 09-30-2013 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 03:04 PM

4 posts, read 4,431 times
Hi there,

I am in almost the exact same situation as you are (my son is 22)....including the dogs! Looking forward to some guidance as well. Good luck to you.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:51 PM

Thanks - good luck to you too! Let me know if you find any additional information. When are you planning on moving?

Old 10-03-2013, 06:20 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times
Why can't people stay where they are & use the services available to them there? How frustrating!

Old 10-03-2013, 06:43 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
I decided to look around, not because of a similar situation, but because I spent years in the field and was just curious.

Found these:

South Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation Department (SCVRD)

Sheltered Workshop in SC

Old 10-03-2013, 07:47 AM

@912 - I can't handle the New York winters anymore. I need to move someplace warmer. Although my daughter receives case coordination up here, she is on a waiting list of programs, supported living, etc. She had previously been in these programs, but because of bad decisions, lost her spots. Now we have to wait for her to get to back in again.

@ Rorytmeadows - thanks for the information. I will check them out

Old 10-04-2013, 11:10 AM

I would like to be down there in 2 years (when I retire). I know these things take time so I'm looking into services now. All the best to you and will keep you posted. Thanks.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:10 PM

Thanks mrsdg. I am hoping to move in 2014 - probably during the summer. Just so you know, at least in South Carolina, you have to already live in the area prior to going through the qualification process. I spoke to a very nice woman with the Disability Board in Charleston and she gave me quite a bit of helpful information. I also received the names of some groups in NC that I still need to check into. So it does appear that there will be a good sized waiting period once you moved before your son would receive services (if he qualified). That is the scariest part.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:47 AM

wow thanks for sharing....good luck and keep in touch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area