Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 05:07 PM

17 posts, read 28,539 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I had asked this question on the "Summerville" board and I was told that it may be a better idea I ask here on the Charleston board because Charleston residents would know a little better about the residential life in the Summerville area. My family and I are looking to relocate to the Summerville area from here in NJ (relocation of business). I have no idea about anything in the Summerville area, other than it's a great place to raise a family.

My son is 7 years old, so I am interested in the school districts, academics etc.. In addition, we live in a very "unfriendly" part of NJ so I am hoping the new area we move to will be a little more friendly..LOL I have to be very honest, I am a conservative, however, that has nothing to do with politics but it has to do with an ideology...how I live my life and raise my son. I would like to be in a "like minded" community. It is very difficult where I am right now and I just feel that no one has values anymore, simple, traditional values.
So, any input on schools, neighborhoods, communities, etc. is greatly appreciated! Thank you again.

Tara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 09:36 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,198 times
You'll do fine in Summerville from a quality of life to politics perspective. Look into Dorchester 2 schools.

Matter of fact, when word gets out that a Conservative yankee has moved into town, you'll be quite the curiosity. In a good way.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:40 PM

662 posts, read 1,410,709 times
I'm a conservative yankee transplant and I've helped plenty of you with your relocation to Summerville! It's a great place to live.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:02 PM

18 posts, read 37,002 times
I'm from central Jersey and have lived in Summerville since 2007. But we're actually selling our house to move back to NJ, only because we have a lot of family, they're getting older and we miss them, to be honest.

My daughter is in a Dorchester District 2 school. She's been there since 1st grade, she's in 4th now, and we're very happy with it. And we love the subdivision we're in. Very quiet and family friendly.

Here's our listing: For Sale by Owner: 3 bedrooms, 2 bath, eat-in kitchen, laundry room, 2 car garage, screened back porch, inground pool!

Located in Summerville in a nice, quiet, family friendly subdivision. One of the few subdivisions in Summerville with no HOA fees! Built in 1999.

School district is Dorchester District 2. Elementary is Newington, middle is Gregg and high school is Summerville. Bus transportation is provided for all schools. (The elementary school picks up at our driveway, which is nice if you have small kids)

The home is 2,000 sq ft and has central air and electric heat.

Living room has built-in surround sound, cathedral ceiling and brick (gas) fireplace.

Large eat-in kitchen has cathedral ceiling and breakfast bar that will easily accommodate up to 6 people. Microwave above stove. Lots of cabinets!

Master bedroom has roomy his & hers walk in closets with built-in shelving, separate door to the screened back porch and big, bright bathroom with shower & jetted tub.

Two more bedrooms, on the other side of the house are a good size and each has a double-door closet.

Upstairs is a huge FROG (finished room over garage). We use it as a family room but it can easily be used as a 4th bedroom. It has a big walk-in closet with shelving and also 2 attic closets.

The whole house is carpeted except for the foyer and kitchen. The kitchen has new (4 months old) floating floor.

Laundry room is large enough to fit a full size washer and dryer.

The fenced back yard has an 18x36 inground pool with brand new (April 2013) liner. There's also a good size shed. The yard backs up to several acres of wooded farmland. (Sometimes you see horses, cows and/or pigs walking by). There's a small creek that runs between our property and the farm's property so be prepared to find frogs in the pool quite often and the occasional turtle.

All appliances come with the house except the washer & dryer.

Asking $180,000. Serious inquiries (via e-mail) only please!

Old 01-22-2014, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,889 times
Post Conservative thinking, traditional values

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamingione18 View Post
hi everyone,

i had asked this question on the "summerville" board and i was told that it may be a better idea i ask here on the charleston board because charleston residents would know a little better about the residential life in the summerville area. My family and i are looking to relocate to the summerville area from here in nj (relocation of business). I have no idea about anything in the summerville area, other than it's a great place to raise a family.

My son is 7 years old, so i am interested in the school districts, academics etc.. In addition, we live in a very "unfriendly" part of nj so i am hoping the new area we move to will be a little more friendly..lol i have to be very honest, i am a conservative, however, that has nothing to do with politics but it has to do with an ideology...how i live my life and raise my son. I would like to be in a "like minded" community. It is very difficult where i am right now and i just feel that no one has values anymore, simple, traditional values.
So, any input on schools, neighborhoods, communities, etc. Is greatly appreciated! Thank you again.

Tara
hi tara,
my hubby is from jersey (kearney) originally and 'feels your pain.' and i'm from pa originally. Both of us landed in asheville for several years a severely liberal town. Now we are in summervile and couldn't say enuf good things about it. Sweet, traditional values. Parades, dowtown set back in time, folks that live and buy locally. I love it here. My children are grown but i sub for several schools and like what i am seeing. You will not go wrong in moving your family to the south and to summerville. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:08 AM

324 posts, read 807,111 times
I would get ready for a bit of a culture shock. I'm from an "unfriendly" part of NJ (Essex county). I've seen the same level of rudeness in both places. It's just presented in a different way. I lived in Summerville for two years and felt out of place. I found that West Ashley was a better fit for me due to the larger mix of Jewish and Catholic families in the area. Over all I like it here but I would strongly suggest visiting the area, and finding where you feel comfortable.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:30 PM

26 posts, read 52,976 times
We moved from NJ (Mommouth County) to Summerville 1 1/2 years ago and we haven't looked back since! We love it! First, drop the Jersey accent/attitude right away and embrace the area and the culture as it is and don't try to change it. You'll find Jersey down here, you won't have to look real hard (Italian Bistro is the best pizza around and it rivals Jersey - because the owner is from Old Bridge!)

Dorchester II schools are very good (Flowertown Elemetary named National Blue Ribbon School this year) and only one of 2 districts you should consider in the Lowcountry (unless you do private)

You can come down and be very happy in a lot of neighborhoods with plenty of styles to choose from. Old and established, new and modern, golf course etc..know your style. Where you are working will come into play as well because traffic IS an issue even though you will scoff at it because you think only YOU know what traffic is but believe me..the growth right now is surpassing the infrastructure thanks in part to Boeing's huge success in the area..

But all and all, Summerville in 5-10 years is going to boom! Look at the growth and the city plans. Google Nexton and East Edisito and what Boeing is doing..you are making a great decision if you embrace the charm and style of the area -- and drop the accent!! Good luck

Old 02-10-2014, 04:26 PM

Default Onward to summerville!

I can't thank you enough for your feedback, really. Working toward proper linguistics right now...LOL Thanks again.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:27 PM

Your information has really helped me, thank you. I am planning my trip this spring. I will take your information as I research the areas... Again, thank you!

Old 02-10-2014, 04:59 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,954,991 times
The biggest issue with Summerville atm is the distance to a decent Hospital, however, that will change soon enough.

Charleston Regional Business Journal | Charleston, SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area