Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 11:00 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times

Advertisements

I would suspect.....The rent will cover the mortgage -- the investment pays for itself and the profit is BIGGER and better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 02:11 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I would suspect.....The rent will cover the mortgage -- the investment pays for itself and the profit is BIGGER and better.

A $400K mortgage at 5% over 30 years, the monthly payment is about $2,150.00 per month principal alone. I doubt rent on 1/2 a duplex in an area such as the one shown will rent for anywhere near the mortgage payment. I expect it would rent for less the 50% of the payment.

Would the rent income help? Yes.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:48 PM

okay -- so I overstated the benefits.....but sometimes you have to hit people over the head with a brick.................

Old 10-12-2013, 06:03 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
okay -- so I overstated the benefits.....but sometimes you have to hit people over the head with a brick.................
I think many come to SC with few hundred thousand (typically as a result of a home sale up north) and think they are going to own SC. While probably one of the lower income states, there are areas one cannot crack for less then $500K and some areas they cannot crack for less then $750K to $1mil.

As an example. Production workers at Boeing make about $16-17.00 per hour or about $35K a year and that is considered a good job here in SC. A two income family making about $70K a year in SC can live the good here, they just cannot live it everywhere. Old formula says one can afford a home about 3 times their income and maybe stretch it to 4 times. This says they can afford a home costing $210 to $280K. That in itself eliminates many of the close in areas.

I would say to afford a $500K home with $100K down ($400K mortgage), there best be about $100K a year coming in or one could be in trouble if there is a "burp".

I have seen many posters come on this chat saying we are relocating to the Charleston area and we want a 3,000sq ft cottage on a large, private piece of land on or near the water for $300K. When all is said and done, they end up in 1800sq ft home in a 500 home development in Summerville.

I have no idea of the OP's income nor financial situation and this is by no means aimed at them.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:13 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I have seen many posters come on this chat saying we are relocating to the Charleston area and we want a 3,000sq ft cottage on a large, private piece of land on or near the water for $300K. When all is said and done, they end up in 1800sq ft home in a 500 home development in Summerville.
lol so true on so many levels. And not that that is a bad thing. I think people just find out what they can get with theit money, how much homeowner's insurance is, how much flood insurance is.

Location is important, but the way I see it, most people are going to drive a lot one way or another. We're renting in MtP and it's a quick 12 minutes to work for me, but 30 for my wife. And we miss out on Folly and restaurants and the like in WA. Not to mention the trek to get to a Best Buy, Toys R Us, or Bohemian bar district. We can afford to buy in MtP, moreso in 3-4 years, but considering the value...

Old 10-12-2013, 07:00 PM

Where's the Hipster ....ooops I mean Bohemian bar district?

Old 10-12-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Where's the Hipster ....ooops I mean Bohemian bar district?
Haha either Park Circle or Upper King. And not that I'm a hipster, but my brother and friends are. :-)

I'd rather have a beer watching the ocean or o the upper deck at Red's...

Old 10-12-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Haha either Park Circle or Upper King. And not that I'm a hipster, but my brother and friends are. :-)

I'd rather have a beer watching the ocean or o the upper deck at Red's...
Thanks for getting the humor...after I posted I was fretting you might get offended.

I do like some of the stuff on upper King...but in Mt. Pleasant ..south of IOP it takes no time to pop in there for a drink.

You know what happens to us.......we think - oh it might be nice to go out and have a drink..... wait we have good wine or good bourbon or good beer.........oh well never mind.....slurp slurp.

Obviously I'm old.......

Old 10-12-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks for getting the humor...after I posted I was fretting you might get offended.

I do like some of the stuff on upper King...but in Mt. Pleasant ..south of IOP it takes no time to pop in there for a drink.

You know what happens to us.......we think - oh it might be nice to go out and have a drink..... wait we have good wine or good bourbon or good beer.........oh well never mind.....slurp slurp.

Obviously I'm old.......
Definitely with you, there. After the cab, the overpriced drinks, the cab, you might as well just buy a bottle that lasts 3-4 nights. But as a host, they always think it's more exciting to take in the nightlife culture. Ugh, when will people learn?

Old 10-12-2013, 07:45 PM

ah yes....of course -- if you have visitors. Get out and show them the town!!!!....Closed for Business, Rutledge Cab Company,......report back please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area