Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 10:35 AM

234 posts, read 382,326 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this has been talked about at one time or another, but my forum search skills aren't working out apparently =/

Every city/town has it's "bad areas"... I was just wondering everyone's personal opinion on areas/streets/towns etc they avoid due to safety concerns in Charleston... I personally have yet to experience any area that was overly sketchy (comparing to "bad" neighborhoods in NYC) in Charleston.

As always, the info is always appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 11:45 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,181,268 times
You'd probably have to give us a specific area and we could do a thumbs up or thumbs down. If you read Charleston Thug Life blog, you can also get definitive answer on areas/subdivision/neighborhoods/streets to avoid. Honestly, the bad can bump up against the good so it is really hard to just say avoid such and such. My observation is that the drug/violence/gangs are in isolated areas and it bleeds out in the form of burglaries and theft into the nicer areas.

They are like cockroaches....they only come out at night..... I think for the most part, you aren't going to be gun downed in the middle of the day no matter where you go but I wouldn't want to live among drug dealers/gangs/etc. The nice weather makes everything look like roses...lol. I also suspect that NYC, Chicago, DC has much more violence than Charleston, even though the area has its fair share.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:02 PM

Ha, yeah.. I've done my fair of research.. I mean, I have a general idea what areas are to be stayed away from with the family..I was just trying to possibly get a little more specific with it.. I just assume there are specific areas that are in the "I think I'll take the long way around" category.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:33 PM

69 posts, read 159,698 times
The problem with doing something like this is someone usually says, North of this street and South of that street. Then someone will say I was on such and such street and it was fine.

In general I will say Inside of 526 to roughly Calhoun St. I try to be more alert of what is going on around me. Stuff can happen anywhere.

So if you see me south of Calhoun I'm an easy mark! :>)

Old 10-11-2013, 04:11 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,287,615 times
I'll put it this way..you need to be aware everywhere! Just in the last week they found a body dumped n Mt Pleasant and a body was found in West Ashley. Just be cautious and aware and avoid isolated areas at night.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:01 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,181,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
I'll put it this way..you need to be aware everywhere! Just in the last week they found a body dumped n Mt Pleasant and a body was found in West Ashley. Just be cautious and aware and avoid isolated areas at night.
Don't forget about the body found in Dogwood Park in Goose Creek.....a couple weeks ago. My son had practices at that field....usually scheduled for the same time the body was found. Thank goodness there was no practice that night....It could have been easily one of his team mates or families to stumble upon him. Very much a safe/residential area.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:18 PM

Understood.. Appreciate the feedback. I know common sense plays a major factor in it. Was just curious with the family relocating to mt p. As far as I'm aware, mt p lacks most of the usually riff raff associated with any city.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-12-2013, 07:39 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Okay - it isn't where they dump the body you have to worry -- it's where they did whatever they did that they needed to dump the body......

Old 10-14-2013, 04:59 PM

55 posts, read 86,488 times
This topic can get kind of heated (at least it has in the past). Every part of Charleston County, as with all other cities, has good areas and not so good areas. Here's what you do: talk to a pizza delivery person. I'm only half-teasing...

My husband delivered pizza for about a year when we first moved down here and he got to know James Island (where we lived at the time) like the back of his hand.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:28 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,427,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasqo View Post
Understood.. Appreciate the feedback. I know common sense plays a major factor in it. Was just curious with the family relocating to mt p. As far as I'm aware, mt p lacks most of the usually riff raff associated with any city.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
Do you want to know bad areas in Mt. Pleasant or all of Charleston?

For Mt. Pleasant,
There is a small housing project where somebody was killed a year ago off coleman blvd , near the old village.

There are some areas to be cautious in off Long Point road in the Snowden area.

Venning Road near Rifle range road, between Hungryneck and Rifle range (dirt roads).

There are Business Robberies all over Mt. Pleasant (grocery stores, small businesses, gas stations) , but they have gone done this year. They were up a year ago , due to the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area