Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,741 times

Advertisements

The taxes on the home in pine forest are approx. $1,600. Property taxes are figured using state lottery profits. Insurance on the home runs approx. $1,000 per year. There is a personal property tax on vehicles which cost about $35 per thousand of what vehicle is worth. The taxes on the home include the taxes for the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 03:33 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,598,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padad1 View Post
Thank you to everyone that posted so far. We have been doing a ton of research lately and its been a bit overwhelming but fun nevertheless. My wife has mentioned that she would be fine downsizing to something less than 2000 sq ft. Are there houses in the area that are around 1650-1800 sq feet in the above mentioned areas closer to the 200,000 or lower range? (not in the fixer up stage) Also, as much as we would love to be on a course it is not a mandatory and I have no qualms about driving to a course as lost as the area is kid friendly with activities.
If you are looking for less sqft and willing to consider neighborhoods without a golf course, your options broaden considerably. Prices tend to be higher in Mt Pleasant, lower in James Island/west ashley, and even lower in Summerville. Generally, the closer you are to Downtown Charleston and the beaches, the more things cost.

Quote:
Can anyone let me know the school districts that are in and around the Charleston, west Ashley, goose creek, Summerville, mt pleasant areas? I am a teacher and would be the one who needed to secure a job first. We figure with the money we make on our house will help us out as we will be downsizing and our mortage costs will be much less ( although the salary cut i'll take will hurt I am sure Also if anyone knows of any local circumstances that might add cost too, such as flood insurance, hurricane insurance etc etc..(which we don't worry about in pa).
Thank you to everyone again
Here's a link to school districts in Charleston County:
Charleston Map Viewer

and a subdivision-school match list for Dorchester county:
http://dorchester.schoolfusion.us/mo...46d9f5db268d2b

As I think has been noted here, schools are generally ranked better in Mt Pleasant though Summerville and James Island and West Ashley also have some good options. There is also Buist Elementary magnet downtown but it's not necessarily easy to get into and you shouldn't just count on admittance. (but you should go for it if you get it)

Flood insurance and Homeowners are something you'll definitely need to look into. Generally, Homeowners/wind + hail insurance is more expensive south of route 17 which cuts right through Mt Pleasant, Charleston and West Ashley. There is usually a high deductible specifically for wind damage. Flood is changing dramatically (going up) across the country and depends largely on what flood zone you're in. It would be best to ask a qualified ins agent for quotes on specific properties as it can range quite a bit.

Quote:
Also, what are property taxes, school taxes like in the area? In PA our property tax per year is about $800 while are school taxes are at $5200.

thank you
For an owner occupied ~$200k home in Chas county, your property/school taxes should be about $1,900-$2,000 but then there's usually County sales tax credits, and the state property tax relief which knocks it down a good bit. I'm guessing you'd end up around $1,200/yr.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:01 PM

342 posts, read 798,670 times
LH.
Thank you. These links help. We definitely would consider a non golf course sub division and would consider less sq ft. My wife would love not to work and that would my goal for her.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:38 AM

How far is the Summerville to nearest local beaches? Are SC beaches free ? Are there parking permits for residents?

Old 01-04-2014, 06:47 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,317,526 times
Quote:
How far is the Summerville to nearest local beaches? Are SC beaches free ? Are there parking permits for residents?
It depends on where in Summerville but it can range from 30-60 minutes. Some parking near the popular area is metered and the parks charge a fee, but once you live here, you quickly catch on to where you can park and walk to the beach at no cost, as long as you plan ahead, of course.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
It depends on where in Summerville but it can range from 30-60 minutes. Some parking near the popular area is metered and the parks charge a fee, but once you live here, you quickly catch on to where you can park and walk to the beach at no cost, as long as you plan ahead, of course.
Thank you very much. As I am starting to realize Summerville looks like our perfect place, and it's rather quite large. Is everyone in Summerville zoned for the same school district?

Old 01-04-2014, 09:13 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,317,526 times
Quote:
Thank you very much. As I am starting to realize Summerville looks like our perfect place, and it's rather quite large. Is everyone in Summerville zoned for the same school district?
No. There are parts of Summerville in Berkeley County. Dorchester County Summerville is what you want. Personally, I'd steer away from neighborhoods that you'd have to drive through 17A to get to everything (like the beach, downtown, etc.). Some people will say they hate Dorchester or Ashley Phosphate, but in my experience 17A is nothing but hell during busy times.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Good answer! Visit the beaches a few times and you'll realize when to avoid the crowds and where to park and even which beach to go to for different reasons. Sullivans Island and Folly are both about the same distance from Summerville.

Quote:
The link I provided earlier is for the Dorchester county part of Summerville. That's considered the better school district. Wescott still looks like a good choice to me. Ft Dorchester Elementary has a decent reputation and the neighborhood does just happen to have a golf course. Some subdivisions within Wescott have more amenities than others and some are served by the new Pye Elementary School which I know less about but I think is considered good.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:14 AM

LH. Wescott looks very nice. We are investigating that area further

Old 01-05-2014, 08:47 AM

It sounds to me like what you're looking for. Start your search there and you may just find the perfect fit right off the bat. There are ways to search for specific neighborhood qualities/amenities. Let me know if you would like help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area