Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 06:51 AM

14 posts, read 26,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
It sounds to me like what you're looking for. Start your search there and you may just find the perfect fit right off the bat. There are ways to search for specific neighborhood qualities/amenities. Let me know if you would like help.
I just want to thank Local Hero for all his help! We're relocating from Greensboro due to new job. 3 kids under 5 years old makes it very important to pick the right area. Summerville sounds to be the best place for us too. I'd love to live next to the beach but we've got to prioritIze schools and community life. So thanks again for your knowledge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 09:22 PM

3,863 posts, read 4,600,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtobin79 View Post
I just want to thank Local Hero for all his help! We're relocating from Greensboro due to new job. 3 kids under 5 years old makes it very important to pick the right area. Summerville sounds to be the best place for us too. I'd love to live next to the beach but we've got to prioritIze schools and community life. So thanks again for your knowledge!
You're welcome Jtobin. It's always good to know when this forum helps folks out.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:10 PM

6 posts, read 8,911 times
Thanks everyone, especially Local Hero for your responses on this thread. The advice and insight you share helps us transplants immeasureably! We are also relocating, but we are from the neighboring state of NJ. We are in our late 40's with two children who have left the nest and currently attend college in NJ and soon England. Admittedly, I have posted a similar questions on my own thread - but now, after reading so many of your posts, I have additional questions and comments.

My husband works from home as a senior software engineer and I have worked in the educational field for 15 years but I'm ready for a change (I think ).
We just can't afford NJ anymore. Currently we pay over 13,000 in taxes and still have to pay for water, sewer, and trash collection. I grew up on the Jersey shore but moved to the Princeton area with my English husband 20 years ago.

I have been researching Mt. Pleasant and come to the conclusion that it is out of our price range. James and John's Island also looks to be too expensive. Presently I drive 40 min to the beach, so anything less than that is a bonus. I think Goose Creek, Summerville, or North Charleston may be where we need to look but if anyone has another suggestion I would love to hear it. I keep reading that we should stay clear of North Charleston due to crime - but then I keep seeing these new beautiful homes on realator.com and can't quite equate the two.

Our biggest concern is commute time to Charleston. My husband is nervous that if he should lose his job and have to seek work in the city - he doesn't want a nightmare commute.
Since our children are grown, the schools are not a huge concern but we would like a safe neighborhood where we could take a stroll with our dogs. New-or -relatively new construction, 4 bedroom, with a bonus room/office, and small yard (just enough room for the dogs to chase a ball). A community pool would be awesome but we have never had HOA fees and we're unsure how much they run. Our budget is 185,000-225,000. Walking paths - again a bonus.

Ok - so now that I've asked for the moon tied up in a bow, if can anyone offer specific towns, neighborhoods, developments, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:22 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4teesomething View Post
Thanks everyone, especially Local Hero for your responses on this thread. The advice and insight you share helps us transplants immeasureably! We are also relocating, but we are from the neighboring state of NJ. We are in our late 40's with two children who have left the nest and currently attend college in NJ and soon England. Admittedly, I have posted a similar questions on my own thread - but now, after reading so many of your posts, I have additional questions and comments.

My husband works from home as a senior software engineer and I have worked in the educational field for 15 years but I'm ready for a change (I think ).
We just can't afford NJ anymore. Currently we pay over 13,000 in taxes and still have to pay for water, sewer, and trash collection. I grew up on the Jersey shore but moved to the Princeton area with my English husband 20 years ago.

I have been researching Mt. Pleasant and come to the conclusion that it is out of our price range. James and John's Island also looks to be too expensive. Presently I drive 40 min to the beach, so anything less than that is a bonus. I think Goose Creek, Summerville, or North Charleston may be where we need to look but if anyone has another suggestion I would love to hear it. I keep reading that we should stay clear of North Charleston due to crime - but then I keep seeing these new beautiful homes on realator.com and can't quite equate the two.

Our biggest concern is commute time to Charleston. My husband is nervous that if he should lose his job and have to seek work in the city - he doesn't want a nightmare commute.
Since our children are grown, the schools are not a huge concern but we would like a safe neighborhood where we could take a stroll with our dogs. New-or -relatively new construction, 4 bedroom, with a bonus room/office, and small yard (just enough room for the dogs to chase a ball). A community pool would be awesome but we have never had HOA fees and we're unsure how much they run. Our budget is 185,000-225,000. Walking paths - again a bonus.

Ok - so now that I've asked for the moon tied up in a bow, if can anyone offer specific towns, neighborhoods, developments, I would greatly appreciate it.
As a software engineer, most of his job prospects would be in the North Charleston area.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
As a software engineer, most of his job prospects would be in the North Charleston area.
Southbel, I'm not well versed in opportunities for software engineers in Charleston but isn't there a "booming" (maybe "burgeoning") tech atmosphere downtown? Silicon Harbor and all that?

Old 10-29-2014, 09:03 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Southbel, I'm not well versed in opportunities for software engineers in Charleston but isn't there a "booming" (maybe "burgeoning") tech atmosphere downtown? Silicon Harbor and all that?
There are but the vast majority of software engineers are working in the North Charleston general area. And of course there's Daniel Island as well. Some of the 'cooler' startups are downtown.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4teesomething View Post

4 bedroom, >$225,000 and newer construction does suggest North Charleston, Summerville, Goose Creek, Hanahan... Maybe Johns Island too which is a very different feel. All areas can have bad traffic during rush hours but none are horrible at non-rush hours.
If you get an idea of Job location, you can use Google maps to get an idea of that driving times might be during normal traffic and also see just how far places are to the beaches.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:35 PM

6 posts, read 8,911 times
Thanks everyone, especially the tip about the tech jobs. I guess rush hour traffic is unavoidable and we should focus more on areas that are on our wish list. Thanks again!

Old 10-31-2014, 07:03 AM

355 posts, read 390,805 times
What about the companies coming to Nexton?

Old 10-31-2014, 10:20 PM

184 posts, read 216,250 times
Software engineers will want to check out the Charleston Digital Corridor run by Ernest Andrade, they are a great resource for news on the local tech scene as well as job openings. Companies that are active right now include Sparc, Spawar, Boeing, People Matter, Benefit Focus, Blackbaud, and Google Data Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area