Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:35 PM

63 posts, read 151,245 times

Advertisements

Hello, all! We are getting closer and closer to our move date from Baltimore to Mount Pleasant and can't wait! I've been reading and following this board for almost a year now soaking in all of the contributors great information, so thank you!

We are planning a visit the end of March to start looking in earnest for our future home with our realtor. I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on the areas we are seriously considering, but I'd love some input from people that live in specific communities about which community has what. I know some have boat ramps, storage or docks, but not all. If you live in or know anyone that lives in Park West, Rivertowne on the Wando, Planters Pointe, Rivertowne Country Club, Brickyard, Charlestown National or Hamlin (on sound?) - we are trying to determine who has what - specifically

1) Community Boat Ramp/Launch
2) Boat Storage
3) Community Fishing Dock/Pier
4) Community Pool

I know Dunes West has all of the above and that Carolina Park only has a pool/playground area. And I know Rivertowne on Wando has a few docks, and boat dock (but ramp and storage?). I figured I would find out what I could on here and compile a list and then any information I couldn't find, get from my realtor. Thanks in advance for any information!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 09:03 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,602 times
Park West:

1. No
2. No. There are storage facilities up 41, at Shem Creek, Daniel Island, and on Bessamer Rd. Bessamer is just a lot.
3. Community light fishing and crabbing pier.
4. Yes

You may want to look at Hidden Cove subdivision off Long Point if you want a launch.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:33 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,020,453 times
Brickyard - yes to all

Old 02-19-2014, 06:17 PM

Thank you, IsNull and southbel, for your answers! Very helpful!

Old 02-20-2014, 12:06 AM

65 posts, read 109,761 times
Dunes West and Brickyard have both. Homes are very similar in price range and quality. We moved from the DC area 4 months ago and checked out both neighborhoods (along with some others) with a microscope. Both neighborhoods are great, but we chose Brickyard. The tree-lined streets are gorgeous, the location is much better (right off 17), and HOA/amenity wise, it's the best bang-for-buck in Mount Pleasant.

You get more amenities with Dunes West, but we didn't need or want them, and based on your list, you will be paying for things you might not want. Dunes West's "gates" are not really necessary in a town like Mount Pleasant - especially considering how removed it is. Use of the pools are a considerable extra cost not included in the HOA. Plus, you have to travel a very crowded 2-lane road (rt 41) for a few miles to get there. Once you are in Dunes West, you can easily go another 15 minutes just to get to your house. Should you have visitors, it can be a hassle sometimes to get them through the gates.

If you are looking at any houses on the East side of 17 (Hamlin, Charleston National)- check the flood zones. FEMA isn't going to subsidize the insurance rates much longer.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:16 AM

resmod - thanks for the tips! It's very helpful! We were considering Dunes West, but we agree with you about the extra costs - we priced it out last year and with the highest HOA fees, then adding pool on top of that... there is a lot of community space and trails, but I believe a large portion of the HOA goes towards gates and we agree - it's not necessary. But we are trying to keep our options open until decision time. Our realtor lives in Brickyard and likes it a lot.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:20 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,916 times
The pool at dunes is 60ish a month for a family and includes tennis courts and gym. The initiation fee of 1000 can be negotiated to 0 via your realtor with the "club at dunes west" people.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:30 PM

Robynn - that's great to know! Thanks! Btw, do you mind me asking if you live in Dunes West? I read your funny/scary story about running and the alligator ;-) and I was curious where it was. But not because it would pursuade or dissuade me one way of the other... Haha!

Old 02-20-2014, 12:42 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltAMM View Post
Robynn - that's great to know! Thanks! Btw, do you mind me asking if you live in Dunes West? I read your funny/scary story about running and the alligator ;-) and I was curious where it was. But not because it would pursuade or dissuade me one way of the other... Haha!
Yes I do

Old 02-22-2014, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 9,242 times
I live in Brickyard and it has all the amenities you mentioned. It is one of only three neighborhoods in MTP with a community boat ramp. You may have go on a waiting list for boat storage though. We like it a lot. There are many families with children, a number of retirees. it is a nice group of people; for the number of houses there is very little crime, vandalism, etc. It is kind of old-fashioned in that you see children around doing "kid things" - riding bikes, skateboarding, etc. not always under lock-n-key which gives it a nice feel. There are a lot of people with dogs. My favorite "amenity" is the parade of dog walkers along the main parkway. In general, it is safe, adults and children are polite, yet non-intrusive. The pools and the boat ramp are very nice, as are the walk/bikeways throughout the community. It is very convenient to shopping, schools, medical stuff. There must be 5-6 groceries and drugstores within 5 minutes of the entrance. I think Brickyard one advantage it has over Dunes West or the other neighborhoods off of Hwy 41. When I have to go to a home in Dunes West, it can literally take twenty minutes from Brickyard and Hwy 17. Park West, Hamlin, and Charleston National are also slightly further out. That seems to me to add extra car time for no real advantage. That said, all are nice neighborhoods. Mount Pleasant is a very *pleasant* place to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area