Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 12:34 PM

324 posts, read 807,525 times

Advertisements

Hoping the mayor doesn't toss this one out.
City plans for Citadel Mall renovation - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 05:37 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,079 times
I support the mall. It really hurts to hear people say things like to close it down, or tell those in West Ashley to just go shop downtown, Northwoods, or in Mt Pleasant. I've shopped in all of our local malls and shopping centers, and they're great- but those other shopping centers like Northwoods and Towne Center aren't as convenient to people living in West Ashley/John's Island/James Island.

Too many people live out here for us not to have a shopping center with major retailers, and we definitely need one better than what we have. I moved down from Florence in 2012, visited Citadel Mall, and really couldn't believe it. Florence's mall, Magnolia Mall, had better retailers and almost no vacancies.

I think the tides will turn. I remember when Citadel Mall was the mall to visit in Charleston and Northwoods had a bad reputation, and it's not that way now.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:05 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudPatriot07 View Post
I support the mall. It really hurts to hear people say things like to close it down, or tell those in West Ashley to just go shop downtown, Northwoods, or in Mt Pleasant. I've shopped in all of our local malls and shopping centers, and they're great- but those other shopping centers like Northwoods and Towne Center aren't as convenient to people living in West Ashley/John's Island/James Island.

Too many people live out here for us not to have a shopping center with major retailers, and we definitely need one better than what we have. I moved down from Florence in 2012, visited Citadel Mall, and really couldn't believe it. Florence's mall, Magnolia Mall, had better retailers and almost no vacancies.

I think the tides will turn. I remember when Citadel Mall was the mall to visit in Charleston and Northwoods had a bad reputation, and it's not that way now.

All they need to do is put a Macy's in that shopping center. I'm crossing my fingers

Old 02-21-2014, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,040 times
I hope they redo the mall. It has gone way down hill in the last 5 years

Old 02-22-2014, 06:43 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Indoor malls in general have been disappearing all over. I know of a couple that have become better over the past decade but that has more to do IMO with urbanization in both locations and increased demand for retail in the area.

edit: This is where the Fry's should go.

Last edited by scuba steve; 02-22-2014 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: editing is the funnest part of posting

Old 02-22-2014, 07:05 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Macys is what would help to revitalize but.......retailers aren't in the business of revitalization. They aren't into that whole -- build it and they will come philosophy.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:29 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
I think Citadel Mall's reputation of having a problem with crime is an issue that has contributed to its inability to attract shoppers. That's one of the reasons I won't go there. Once you get a reputation for something, it's pretty hard to shake.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:01 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I think Citadel Mall's reputation of having a problem with crime is an issue that has contributed to its inability to attract shoppers. That's one of the reasons I won't go there. Once you get a reputation for something, it's pretty hard to shake.
I know there have been several incidents of crime at the Citadel Mall and when I first moved to West Ashley I was actually afraid to go there, but I definitely go now. It's true that it's very outdated but as far as crime goes it's like anywhere else..be aware of your surroundings. I don't think the Citadel Mall is less safe than the Northwoods Mall in North Charleston.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:12 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
I know there have been several incidents of crime at the Citadel Mall and when I first moved to West Ashley I was actually afraid to go there, but I definitely go now. It's true that it's very outdated but as far as crime goes it's like anywhere else..be aware of your surroundings. I don't think the Citadel Mall is less safe than the Northwoods Mall in North Charleston.
However, Northwoods didn't get the reputation as a crime hotspot like Citadel. It's unfortunate because the location for Citadel is great but I think some poor management and not being aggressive enough about their earlier crime issues have caused long term problems.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:35 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
However, Northwoods didn't get the reputation as a crime hotspot like Citadel. It's unfortunate because the location for Citadel is great but I think some poor management and not being aggressive enough about their earlier crime issues have caused long term problems.
Agreed about not being aggressive toward some crime issues. I don't feel like the mall is a crime hotspot; I honestly feel just as safe there as I do Northwoods and safer at CM than Tanger (some of the parking at Tanger weirds me out- I was parked behind the Nike Outlet but on the side).

However... I shop at CM. And it's not really about what *I* think or what retailers think but public perception.

When I was a kiddo, my parents were weary of Northwoods Mall. It really cleaned up its reputation and got better stores, while Citadel Mall's just went downhill. But, North Charleston's reputation in general has improved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area