Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 06:52 AM

11 posts, read 16,581 times

Advertisements

From looking at Mt. Pleasant Academy's website it appears the kids wear uniforms. Is this a district wide thing or just this specific school? Also I noticed the Pinckney school is only specific grades, what is the other school kids attend before that? And one other question, if you live in Mt. Pleasant are you allowed to pick different schools in the district to send your kids or are you required to send them to the one you live in?

We are hoping to rent first before buying but I'd hate to get into a specific school and then find a house we like in another elementary school district. If so, I think that may make us want to buy instead of rent first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 10:50 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Yes, all elementary children wear uniforms. Since Pickney was growing too large, they made Laurel Hill, which if the lower elementary grades - it's next door to Pickney. Yes, you must go to the schools for where you live. You may apply to go to a school outside your district is if that school has been identified as a 'failing' school (Title I). The other exception is magnet schools but the entrance to those is competitive and no guarantee. No schools in Mt P have a Title I designation.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:13 PM

65 posts, read 109,804 times
Jennie Moore ES: khakis and a few color choices of golf shirt. He is now the best dresser in our house.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:41 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Uniforms not required at all Mt. Pleasand elementary schools.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:24 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Uniforms not required at all Mt. Pleasand elementary schools.
Uniforms are required for schools below 'middle school'. They are not uniforms that you would normally associate with some private schools. However, they are called uniforms and only certain colors are allowed.

This is the link to the Pinckney Elementary uniform policy: http://pinckney.ccsdschools.com/User...%20%281%29.pdf

We actually like how they separated Laurel Hill and Pinckney. Laurel Hill does K - 2 and Pinckney does 3-5th. There's a big difference between a 5th grader and a 1st grader.

You can request to be sent to another school if that school as room. The exceptions to this are the magnet schools which will bus across the district, but your child has to be accepted. CCSD Portfolio of School Options

Currently the SC schools including MtP are implementing Common Core. It's typically not been received well by most parents I've talked to. But until there is direction otherwise from Columbia and Charleston Co, that's the tune the teachers are marching to.

When we were renting and building our house we made sure we rented where we wanted the kids to go to school. We didn't want them forming friendships to be broken up in a year.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:38 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Whiteside and Sullivans do not require uniforms -- they have a 'dress code' but no uniforms according to their parent handbooks.

http://p2cdn3static.sharpschool.com/...cy%2012-13.pdf

Old 02-24-2014, 09:00 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
We actually like how they separated Laurel Hill and Pinckney. Laurel Hill does K - 2 and Pinckney does 3-5th. There's a big difference between a 5th grader and a 1st grader.
Hopefully "most" of the 5th graders attend their own classes and are beyond the 1st grade level.

I attended a K-12 school as a youngster and don't remember there being an issue. Maybe we were just "different".

I don't care how they break up the schools...other than wondering if having so many different campuses is a waste of money.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:10 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
Thank you moneill for the information, we were told when we asked about the uniforms that it was standard for all Mt.P schools. Should have done my own research... Not that it would have made us change school though.

Yes cape, children attend their own classes, but having much older kids in the school can be a distraction for younger children. They also share the same communal resources. By splitting the schools, the teachers and staff can customize a much more age appropriate environment overall. Whether it's school programs, announcements, size of toilets, etc. I went to school in the same environment that you did, but after seeing the result of having the age group separated, I'm a fan.

I'm not sure I would call it a waste of money considering both campuses are over capacity now. You might realize some efficiencies of scale by having one Wando size elementary, but I believe the effect of seperating the grades between two campuses trumps any efficiencies you might realize.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:34 PM

63 posts, read 151,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Uniforms are required for schools below 'middle school'. They are not uniforms that you would normally associate with some private schools. However, they are called uniforms and only certain colors are allowed.

This is the link to the Pinckney Elementary uniform policy: http://pinckney.ccsdschools.com/User...%20%281%29.pdf

You can request to be sent to another school if that school as room. The exceptions to this are the magnet schools which will bus across the district, but your child has to be accepted. CCSD Portfolio of School Options

Currently the SC schools including MtP are implementing Common Core. It's typically not been received well by most parents I've talked to. But until there is direction otherwise from Columbia and Charleston Co, that's the tune the teachers are marching to.

When we were renting and building our house we made sure we rented where we wanted the kids to go to school. We didn't want them forming friendships to be broken up in a year.
Wow! That's really helpful to know! Thanks for posting that! Does that mean ALL of my boys Under Armour shirts with the big UA symbol across the front can't be worn? More than an inch square... That's very interesting. We are moving down in June so I guess I better start buying some new clothes for them to wear to school next year... Yikes!

Old 02-24-2014, 04:53 PM

66 posts, read 91,176 times
I have kids at both pinckney and LH. The dress code is restricted to certain colors and plain designs but they are not super strict at either school. I see plenty of kids wearing stripes and plaids although I'm not sure about large logos. Our old public school was much more strict, requiring khakis, collared shirts, and belts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area