Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 06:42 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times

Advertisements

We're coming back out in May, this time to see Johns Island/Kiawah, since last visit out we saw only Swygerts Landing and none of the island itself.

We'd like to eat lunch and dinner at a few places there - to get a feel for what kind of restaurants there are. We get breakfast included at the Post House, so will eat there and then head out to tour.

These were on my list for last time and we got to none of them - any favorites here? Are they all still around?
  • Fat Hen - Dinner Only?
  • Wild Olive - Dinner Only?
  • Tomato Shed Café - Like that this is attached to a farmstand. We want to see some of the farms. Lunch.
  • Angle Oak Restaurant - Lunch/Dinner
  • Southern Brews Coffee - Lunch/Gelato
  • Sunrise Bistro - Lunch
  • Sweetwater Café - Dinner
  • Hege's/Kiawah - Dinner
  • JB's Smokeshack - Lunch/Dinner
  • Crave - ??
  • Chez Fish - ??
Our only requirement is that it not be dressy, as we will only have casual (nice casual) clothes with us. We'd like a variety of places, maybe 2 lunch and 2 dinner.

Our favorite foods are Italian, Fish and Southern (good BBQ, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 11:48 AM

142 posts, read 270,036 times
Angel Oak, although it's not really on John's Island, it's more West Ashley. I've heard JB's smokestack has some solid sandwiches, same with Southern General

Crave is on Mt. P, and Sweetwater Cafe is on James Island

Old 03-01-2014, 03:03 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times
Thx.

With all the water surrounding it, does Johns Island have anyplace on the water to grab a beer/glass of wine aka Shem Creek?

Old 03-02-2014, 08:34 AM

602 posts, read 1,515,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
We're coming back out in May, this time to see Johns Island/Kiawah, since last visit out we saw only Swygerts Landing and none of the island itself.

We'd like to eat lunch and dinner at a few places there - to get a feel for what kind of restaurants there are. We get breakfast included at the Post House, so will eat there and then head out to tour.

These were on my list for last time and we got to none of them - any favorites here? Are they all still around?
  • Fat Hen - Dinner Only?
  • Wild Olive - Dinner Only?
  • Tomato Shed Café - Like that this is attached to a farmstand. We want to see some of the farms. Lunch.
  • Angle Oak Restaurant - Lunch/Dinner
  • Southern Brews Coffee - Lunch/Gelato
  • Sunrise Bistro - Lunch
  • Sweetwater Café - Dinner
  • Hege's/Kiawah - Dinner
  • JB's Smokeshack - Lunch/Dinner
  • Crave - ??
  • Chez Fish - ??
Our only requirement is that it not be dressy, as we will only have casual (nice casual) clothes with us. We'd like a variety of places, maybe 2 lunch and 2 dinner.

Our favorite foods are Italian, Fish and Southern (good BBQ, etc.)
Fat Hen, Wild Olive, Tomato Shed, Angel Oak Restaurant (up on Hwy 17--double check lunch times; I believe they are not open for lunch on Sat), Sunrise Bistro, Hege's, JB's, Crave (has reopened on Bohicket Rd after a fire last summer), Chez Fish--all open.

Tomato Shed--good for a casual lunch. It does get packed during the week
Angel Oak--I recently discovered this place. YUM!
Sunrise Bistro--my Seabrook neighbors love this place for breakfast
JB's-friends do really like this place. I thought it "ok". It is quite a dive.
Crave--one of my family's favorites. It is a very small restaurant that has a "pick up and go" deli case. Be sure to call before you go. Ask what the specials are and what they have in their "to-go" section.
Chez Fish--a good friend just ate her and proclaimed this the best meal she had ever had. This is from a real foodie who has eaten at some impressive places around the world.

Dress--as long as you avoid coming right from the beach (no ratty shorts/shirts), you'll be fine. A nice pair of khakis and a polo shirt will get you into most restaurants around the Lowcountry. Enjoy!

Beer with a view--Bohicket Marina on Seabrook Island--Red's Ice House (the original Red's is on Shem Creek in Mt P)

Last edited by OurGreatEscape; 03-02-2014 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: added

Old 03-02-2014, 09:25 AM

124 posts, read 335,344 times
Fat Hen - Brunch on Sundays is fantastic. I do not enjoy their dinner as much.
Wild Olive - They only serve dinner and it is one of the best dinners around.
Angel Oak Restaurant - Lunch/Dinner, either is good
Sunrise Bistro - Lunch
Sweetwater Café - Lunch or Dinner
Hege's/Kiawah - Dinner is very good
JB's Smokeshack - Lunch/Dinner. Buffet style. Nice bbq place. Big variety of food.

All of these places I have gone into with just jeans and shirt. I went to Hege's after the beach, so I was even more dressed down than normal. I've never felt out of place except maybe at Hege's, but it was still ok.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:57 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,048,960 times
Angel Oak Restaurant is okay if you are in this area. It's good food if you don't feel like driving to John's Island or Downtown. I live down the road from it and have been a few times, and it's honestly not my favorite. It is in West Ashley but due to its location, has a John's Island address. Not technically on the island. Every time I have been, service was lacking.

My favorite places on John's Island are The Southern General and Wild Olive. The Southern General (more like "general store", not military general) has great burgers, sandwiches, bar food, etc. It's been featured in the local newspaper several times and it's definitely worth it for a lunch.

Wild Olive has delicious Italian food. It's fairly casual but still great for a special occasion. The prices aren't too bad either. Very reasonable for the quality of food you get.

I didn't care for Fat Hen, I haven't been to the other places on the list.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:09 PM

326 posts, read 498,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudPatriot07 View Post
Angel Oak Restaurant is okay if you are in this area. It's good food if you don't feel like driving to John's Island or Downtown. I live down the road from it and have been a few times, and it's honestly not my favorite. It is in West Ashley but due to its location, has a John's Island address. Not technically on the island. Every time I have been, service was lacking.

My favorite places on John's Island are The Southern General and Wild Olive. The Southern General (more like "general store", not military general) has great burgers, sandwiches, bar food, etc. It's been featured in the local newspaper several times and it's definitely worth it for a lunch.

Wild Olive has delicious Italian food. It's fairly casual but still great for a special occasion. The prices aren't too bad either. Very reasonable for the quality of food you get.

I didn't care for Fat Hen, I haven't been to the other places on the list.
exactly my take. it's probably my favorite restaurant in the area. i'm not saying it's the "best," but it's our go-to for a nice dinner when we get a babysitter. we live on the peninsula, but it's worth the fifteen-20 minute or so drive.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:19 PM

69 posts, read 178,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Thx.

With all the water surrounding it, does Johns Island have anyplace on the water to grab a beer/glass of wine aka Shem Creek?
There is a restaurant like that at saint johns yacht club. That's the one next to the bridge to James island. It changed names and I don't remember what it's called now.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:23 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,427,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsoman View Post
There is a restaurant like that at saint johns yacht club. That's the one next to the bridge to James island. It changed names and I don't remember what it's called now.
It was St. Johns Yacht club / Marina restaurant. It has closed due to a horrible incident where three people drown in the creek leaving the bar at the Marina late at night. The owner could not afford the liability insurance as it was raised really high. It is now closed , and hopefully somebody will buy it and re-open it. The view of the Stono River is beautiful. The restaurant was really like bar food, but it was the view that was great about the place.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:29 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
I love Wild Olive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: