Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,622 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to South Carolina from the West Coast (WA), but some people are saying that there are roaches as big as mice! And other huge bugs and some flying bugs the size of grapes! I'm freaked out. Is this true????

Also, are South Carolina schools really bed compared to the National Average? We have small children so schools are very important to us. I read that Dorchester schools are good but how do they compare to the National Average?

Another thing, is the Branch Creek community with Sabel Homes good? Or is it better to buy a piece of land and build on it OR buy an older home in SC?

Thank you all so much for your feedback! Your help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 10:42 AM

882 posts, read 1,467,646 times
South Carolina is full of ugly bugs, including palmetto bugs (flying roaches), it's just the nature of the Lowcountry. My wife is very entomophobic, and like most people I'm also creeped out by them ... but with a combination of Terminix barrier spray and Mosquito Squad treatment, we have barely seen a bug inside our home or a mosquito outside of it. On the rare occasion we do see a roach it is dead on its back which simply means the treatment is working. Proper yard and crawlspace maintenance, as well as good hygiene are paramount in keeping the creepies out. Combined with a generous dose of poisonous chemicals one can live in the area with very few insect issues.

This is probably not a good time to mention snakes, black widows, and gators.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:43 AM

82 posts, read 119,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcia View Post
We are considering relocating to South Carolina from the West Coast (WA), but some people are saying that there are roaches as big as mice! And other huge bugs and some flying bugs the size of grapes! I'm freaked out. Is this true????

Also, are South Carolina schools really bed compared to the National Average? We have small children so schools are very important to us. I read that Dorchester schools are good but how do they compare to the National Average?

Another thing, is the Branch Creek community with Sabel Homes good? Or is it better to buy a piece of land and build on it OR buy an older home in SC?

Thank you all so much for your feedback! Your help is greatly appreciated!

Your comment about the roaches made me laugh, as I had the same reaction when I moved down here. They definitely aren't the size of MICE (that would be horrific!) but they are large - they're called Palmetto Bugs, and they do fly. Here's a link: Difference Between a Cockroach and a Palmetto Bug - don't worry, there's no picture at the link. I hate pictures of bugs! There's one you can click on though to see. Basically they are roaches with wings and they are sometimes as large as 1.5-2 inches.

All that being said though, if you treat your house regularly, you shouldn't see them inside. I live on Johns Island -pretty dense vegetation, pretty jungle-y! - and I don't get them in my house. My husband sprays the outside with Orkin Home Defense once a month April-November and we're good. You might see them outside though at night, especially walking around downtown. They will run away from you. As a realtor, I go into lots of houses very frequently that are vacant, and sometimes you'll see a dead one, but even these non-treated homes aren't overrun with Palmetto bugs.

SC schools get a bad rap, but Dorchester schools are great! If you Google "Dorchester schools vs. national average" the Great Schools website comes up and you can read about how they compare there. I have to be really careful giving out school information due to Fair Housing Laws, which is why I can't provide a link for that - so sorry! There are also many private schools here that people love - just Google "Charleston Private Schools" and a list will come up.

As far as what type of home you're looking for, moving from WA, it might definitely be easier to buy something already built so that you know it will be move-in ready when you need it to. Have you guys secured employment here? Building definitely has its appeal, and Sabal Homes is a reliable builder, but you never know what might pop up in building that can push the deadline back.

Feel free to direct message me with any more questions! I love the West Coast- have been several times all up and down the coast (you guys have roaches there too, by the way! Barstow was a nightmare!!! ) but I think you'll love it here. The history and charm are second to none.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:50 AM

326 posts, read 499,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
South Carolina is full of ugly bugs, including palmetto bugs (flying roaches), it's just the nature of the Lowcountry. My wife is very entomophobic, and like most people I'm also creeped out by them ... but with a combination of Terminix barrier spray and Mosquito Squad treatment, we have barely seen a bug inside our home or a mosquito outside of it. On the rare occasion we do see a roach it is dead on its back which simply means the treatment is working. Proper yard and crawlspace maintenance, as well as good hygiene are paramount in keeping the creepies out. Combined with a generous dose of poisonous chemicals one can live in the area with very few insect issues.

This is probably not a good time to mention snakes, black widows, and gators.
yeah, it's a manageable problem.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:16 PM

3,594 posts, read 4,365,941 times
Best Places to Live 2010 - Top 100: City details: Mount Pleasant, SC - from MONEY Magazine

Old 05-13-2014, 12:18 PM

7,103 posts, read 6,000,092 times
Ahhh, I never get bored reading all the Charleston is #1 articles... there's an endless supply of them it seems.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:32 PM

882 posts, read 1,467,646 times
So according to Money mag. there were 99 better places to live in the US than MP in 2010?

Poppycock!

Old 05-13-2014, 02:42 PM

3,594 posts, read 4,365,941 times

Ehhh.. haters are gonna hate...

The big thing was the school comparison. But the OP has plenty of posts to search through for school information in this forum. The search button in your friend...

Old 05-13-2014, 02:48 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,672,430 times
Any crack you have in a house or water...Roaches will come. They are big and make a distinctive noise (Hiss) => Youtube it if you don't believe me. Yes they carry diseases and cause allergies to people. They fly at you and pretend to be dead when you hit it.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:17 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,325,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
Any crack you have in a house or water...Roaches will come. They are big and make a distinctive noise (Hiss) => Youtube it if you don't believe me. Yes they carry diseases and cause allergies to people. They fly at you and pretend to be dead when you hit it.
Something that definitely needs to be mentioned for those in older homes and especially those downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area