Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 01:28 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Haven't they been planning the store there for many years?
No, Harris Teeter #355 was one of seven Piggly Wiggly stores acquired from Piggly Wiggly Carolina Company last year. Bi-Lo acquired 22 other stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 02:25 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
No, Harris Teeter #355 was one of seven Piggly Wiggly stores acquired from Piggly Wiggly Carolina Company last year. Bi-Lo acquired 22 other stores.
Oh. I thought it was separate. The lease ran out in April 2013 and the Pig didn't renew. The buyout occurred in September...

Old 09-29-2014, 09:35 AM

Default Harris Teeter #355, Sawmill Village, 680 Bacons Bridge Road, Summerville, South Carolina 29485-4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Oh. I thought it was separate. The lease ran out in April 2013 and the Pig didn't renew. The buyout occurred in September...
I stand corrected. Thank you.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:58 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,158 times
I stayed away from the opening hoopla, and finally went to HT today. Most of my time was spent casing the joint, and becoming familiar with it.
It was wonderful! I got my Vic card and saved a ton of money, too.

I got some fancy pants cheese, artisan bread and really good crushed Italian tomatoes (buy one, get one free!).
Oh, and I got a package of New York State WHITE cheddar cheese!

What caught me off guard was the checkout, and how your cart goes on the clerk's side of the register. When I first got up there, I sort of wandered back and forth, looking from checkout aisle to checkout aisle, while trying to be nonchalant about it, thinking maybe I had entered the twilight zone or perhaps had finally gone mad.

I've got it down now though, and it's my go-to place.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:06 PM

10,074 posts, read 7,754,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
I stayed away from the opening hoopla, and finally went to HT today. Most of my time was spent casing the joint, and becoming familiar with it.
It was wonderful! I got my Vic card and saved a ton of money, too.

I got some fancy pants cheese, artisan bread and really good crushed Italian tomatoes (buy one, get one free!).
Oh, and I got a package of New York State WHITE cheddar cheese!

What caught me off guard was the checkout, and how your cart goes on the clerk's side of the register. When I first got up there, I sort of wandered back and forth, looking from checkout aisle to checkout aisle, while trying to be nonchalant about it, thinking maybe I had entered the twilight zone or perhaps had finally gone mad.

I've got it down now though, and it's my go-to place.
I'm so glad you got your fancy pants cheese. I hope you enjoy it. I love cheese.

Don't feel bad about the checkout aisles. On opening day, there was a manager that just stood there and helped everyone get to the right side of the aisle. Believe me, you weren't the only one wondering what side to go on.

I want to try that Asian Hot bar next time I go. That looked yummy and as always they have a good salad bar too but it's not too cheap after I pile all the interesting things into my little plastic container. I need to learn restraint.

I just love all the different variety of things they offer.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:17 PM

Default Harris Teeter #355, Sawmill Village, 680 Bacons Bridge Road, Summerville, South Carolina 29485-4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
Harris Teeter and Ingle's Markets have been using these checkout stands for decades. It is highly efficient for the cashier to take an item out of the cart, scan it, and place it on a conveyor belt to the bagging station. Heftier items such as large packs of drinks, beer or water and large bags of pet food are noticed easier for scanning. As a customer, gone is the hassle and time consumed of taking items out of the cart to place on a conveyor belt to be scanned.

Ingle's Markets has not used any conveyor belts in its checkout stands until opening a new store last week. Its new store #148 in Lincolnton, North Carolina has different checkout stands where you place the items on the conveyor belt to be scanned, then placed on another belt to be bagged.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:19 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Harris Teeter and Ingle's Markets have been using these checkout stands for decades. It is highly efficient for the cashier to take an item out of the cart, scan it, and place it on a conveyor belt to the bagging station. Heftier items such as large packs of drinks, beer or water and large bags of pet food are noticed easier for scanning. As a customer, gone is the hassle and time consumed of taking items out of the cart to place on a conveyor belt to be scanned.

Ingle's Markets has not used any conveyor belts in its checkout stands until opening a new store last week. Its new store #148 in Lincolnton, North Carolina has different checkout stands where you place the items on the conveyor belt to be scanned, then placed on another belt to be bagged.
Hey, it makes sense. I'm in.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:05 PM

246 posts, read 518,557 times
I joined the insanity on Saturday afternoon. I was in the neighborhood and a parking space opened near the front of the store, I knew it was a 'sign'. So I went in just to look around. Love the produce section but the crowds were getting to me so I turned to leave...and there they were - GOLDEN KIWIS! They were easy to find a few years ago and then disappeared. They probably have them at 'Whole Paycheck' but I don't go over to MP very often.

I wasn't going to wait in line for a few kiwis so I checked the place out and got a few other things. And they still have the 'proper hot dog buns' New England style! This store is only about a mile from my house, so I'm happy!

Old 09-30-2014, 07:16 AM

288 posts, read 494,283 times
I've been in to the new location twice, since it opened last week. Both times it was fairly crowded, but definitely not packed. Its pretty much identical to the Wescott store, except it has a Starbucks inside (instead of standalone) and the layout is flipped.

Definitely happy that its finally open, because I can swing by on my home from work. Before, the only other direct grocery spots were the crappy Bi-Lo on 17A, or go out of my way to the Publix in Ridgeville. Woohoo.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:12 AM

8 posts, read 9,986 times
Anyone excited about the Earth Fare coming to Summerville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area