Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 3,102 times

Advertisements

Hello all, me and my family (wife and 4yo) are in the process of relocating for a fresh start and I have narrowed down my search to perhaps the Summerville area of SC. I am from Missouri presently and am just curious on opinions of the area. We would both require jobs of coarse, with me having only some college education and my wife her associates, what are the jobs like in the area? I have lived in my small town forever and have read about the your not from here vibe.. Is that an issue? How would you go about relocating as I know applying for jobs from several states away isn't going to be easy. Thanks so much for any advice you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 12:15 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP00 View Post
Hello all, me and my family (wife and 4yo) are in the process of relocating for a fresh start and I have narrowed down my search to perhaps the Summerville area of SC. I am from Missouri presently and am just curious on opinions of the area. We would both require jobs of coarse, with me having only some college education and my wife her associates, what are the jobs like in the area? I have lived in my small town forever and have read about the your not from here vibe.. Is that an issue? How would you go about relocating as I know applying for jobs from several states away isn't going to be easy. Thanks so much for any advice you can give me.
First off what type of work do you do?

Old 04-30-2014, 04:19 PM

I supervised a bowling alley for 10 years before being sold out and have been doing flooring ever since then for the last year I would say. I don't have the 1 solid job set but have a solid interest and some schooling in computer repair that I would love to work in.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:18 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,598,737 times
What part of Missouri, MJP00? My daughter graduated from Mizzou with a photo journalism major. She's back in Charleston these days and is happy to be "home".

I don't think there's too much of a "you're not from here vibe" here in Charleston. There are too many transplants here already for that to be the case. We joke about the "Go Back To Ohio" bumper stickers and such, but most people here are pretty welcoming to newcomers.

We have one of the healthiest economies in the country right now so it won't get much better than trying a fresh start here. Not sure about ground level tech opportunities but the tech industry is gaining ground rapidly in Charleston as has been noted in other threads.

Moving and applying for a distant job is never an easy task. Best if you can visit first and get a feel for what is out here. Is that a possibility?

Old 05-03-2014, 01:01 PM

Im sure its a definite possibility or more like a definite going to happen. Im really not sure how to go about the finding a job being severaly states away. And im 30 minutes north of Mizzou campus in Moberly. Just a small town that is going down each year, jobs leaving, people leaving, its aweful.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:41 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,317,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP00 View Post
I supervised a bowling alley for 10 years before being sold out and have been doing flooring ever since then for the last year I would say. I don't have the 1 solid job set but have a solid interest and some schooling in computer repair that I would love to work in.
If you get your certifications, you'll get swooped up easy. I say A+, Network+ minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area