Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 04:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,755 times

Advertisements

Hey all, so I grew up in MD and always went to OC for vacation. I haven't been to OC in a few years but I've always wanted to go to Charleston. Trying to decide which would be best for a week long vacation this summer with my husband. We definitely want beach but also some stuff in the area to explore. Like I said, I'm used to the 'beach town' feel in OC and am just trying to get a feel for what Charleston is like and maybe compare the two. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 05:59 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,229,379 times
If you want something similar to Ocean City, Myrtle Beach is worth looking at. Charleston is much, much different than either.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:10 AM

6,415 posts, read 1,389,421 times
Yea, I grew up in a cool beach city - Va. Beach. It is much more of a beach town' feel than Charleston. Many come to Charleston for the history of the area. The beaches are cool here (folly beach, isle of palms), but it seems people come here for downtown and history. So, I would go to Va. Beach or Myrtle Beach for the 'beach town' scene. I miss the Beach scene here because Charleston is dominated by history, and I often want to go to Myrtle Beach or Va. Beach for festivals and Holidays!

Old 05-05-2014, 11:09 AM

192 posts, read 407,709 times
I'm from Maryland and there is (in my opinion) no comparison between Charleston and Ocean City. If you want the boardwalk, wax museum, ferris wheel and gobs of restaurants and t-short shops then you want Myrtle Beach. Charleston is more of a carriage ride, historical homes, fantastic farm to table restaurants type place. I would say try Myrtle Beach, or depending where you are, try Rehoboth or Bethany in DE (close to OC yet smaller and cool beach type feel). But, don't discount Charleston when you are in the mood for it. Good luck and happy vacationing!

Old 05-05-2014, 07:50 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,338,020 times
Yeah I agree with the others. Charleston has beaches and they are nice but it's a different vibe than places like Ocean City or Myrtle Beach.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:10 AM

6 posts, read 14,159 times
Default No contest...Charleston it is

Hi. Oh my word...in my opinion and having been to both, Charleston is wide, flat beaches and warm water, gorgeous architecture and gardens, history so vibrant you can feel it, gentility of culture, welcoming and friendly residents and so many amazing restaurants - enough to suit every taste and budget. Ocean City is none of these. Do yourself a favor and pay Charleston a visit. You will fall in love as we have. When we leave there, we immediately plan our next visit. Some day soon, we plan to call Charleston home.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:19 AM

2,527 posts, read 7,993,653 times
The only thing I miss about Ocean City is Seacrets. Between IOP, Sullivans and Folly Beach, you have a handful of different types of beaches to enjoy, but downtown and the lowcountry has so much more to offer for nightlife, restaurants, tours, history, etc.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:32 AM

Nina, and DJ,

If you are a real beach/coastal person, grew up on the beach, in a beach town, you would understand what the original poster is asking. There are few that understand this, but I see the original poster knows what they are asking. Charleston is no place for a person that loves the 'beach scene' when they can go to a real beach town, like Tingum said:

I would say try Myrtle Beach, or depending where you are, try Rehoboth or Bethany in DE (close to OC yet smaller and cool beach type feel

I would also add the Outer Banks, North Carolina Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, Duck) but these beaches are not built up as much with excitement, but definately a beach town! Everybody is there for the beach!

Don't forget Va. Beach, a beach town with tons of things to do as well. Don't vacation in Charleston, if you want a real beach town, hit another real 'beach town'.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:29 AM

6 posts, read 14,159 times
Thought your response was funny, Coastalbum, so I thought I would reply. I fully understood what the OP was saying. However, as I stated in my response, my opinion is Charleston is a much better vacation spot. To me, cheap hotel rooms, a boardwalk crawling with rude teenagers, bad restaurants and steep beaches with cold water does not equal a fun time. There is so much more to a beach vacation/town. We've vacationed on both coasts and even spent time in the quintessential "beach towns" of Huntington Beach and San Diego, and still would choose Charleston hands down. But, to each his own, right? Have a great day!

Old 05-06-2014, 12:41 PM

Ok, Nina, I ride the waves, and love boardwalks that you can walk, skateboard, or ride bikes on. It's cool you have been to many beaches, so you must know , there are beaches with beautiful hotels, excellent restuarants - seafood, and live music at the beach! Charleston just doesn't have this type of scene at the beach, with many oceanfront restuarants, there are only like 2 oceanfront restuarants in all of charleston! Yes, to each his own, have a great day yourself Nina!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area