Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 10:11 AM

192 posts, read 408,211 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Just curious if there are any folks out there who have lived in Mt Pleasant or Charleston and then decided to settle down on Daniel Island? What was the draw? What are the drawbacks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 10:24 AM

13,357 posts, read 26,875,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum23 View Post
Just curious if there are any folks out there who have lived in Mt Pleasant or Charleston and then decided to settle down on Daniel Island? What was the draw? What are the drawbacks?
This is not quite an answer, but if you can afford Daniel Island, it is great. The safety and and the ability for her kids to bike to schools were the draw from this poster at post#13: //www.city-data.com/forum/coast...sc-area-2.html

Old 05-05-2014, 10:26 AM

192 posts, read 408,211 times
Thanks. I enjoyed reading your thread and how you came to your decision.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:13 AM

13,357 posts, read 26,875,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum23 View Post
Thanks. I enjoyed reading your thread and how you came to your decision.
It's not quite comparable as DebInCA was moving from Northern California, and had equity in a house there. I certainly could not afford a 4000 SF house on Daniel Island!

I certainly would love Mt Pleasant, but I could not afford there either.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:46 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,299,978 times
Beautiful housing tracts, quiet neighborhood, two beautiful parks.

Overcrowded elementary school
High school to be built off of Clements Ferry, not within walking distance (if that matters)
One grocery store, and it's relatively small
No hardware store or post office
No public golf course (but does have private one)
Limited number of restaurants
One gas station
If the bridges are closed, you're stuck driving for a long time on Clements Ferry to 41, etc.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:22 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,946,500 times
It's very safe and active. Most of the folks there are seen out and about on the weekends. You can drive your custom golf cart around town and never have to use a car. There are some beautiful home sites, and beautiful homes. It's self contained but close to everything.

As rory said, it's an island so some disadvantages would be your isolated, if a bridge were to go down (as it did this winter) you're basically stuck. The price per square foot for housing is some of the highest in town. You pay well for all those amenities.

Ali Baba's is got to be one of my favorite restaurants in town. I love that place, but there's only a small few places to dine.

Just like anywhere else in town, there's good and bad to be found.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:48 PM

3,835 posts, read 3,047,923 times
I get a kick out of the comments I read here that Daniel Island is isolated and if the bridge were to "go down" ( I would hope it wouldn't go down, just be shut down) that you're stuck. I lived on James Island long before the James Island Connector was built. Back then, there was essentially one way off/on James Island and if the Wappoo Bridge shut down (for those that don't know, it's a drawbridge and sometimes it malfunctions...gets stuck open). The alternative was to to travel over to Johns Island, then head over to Savannah Hwy, and then head downtown or North Chas or I-26 (no I-526 back then either). Painful detour. James Island, even back then, was much more populated than Daniel Island is today. Bottom line, I wouldn't get hung up over the isolation comments concerning Daniel Island. It's a nice place for those that can afford it.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:38 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,946,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
I get a kick out of the comments I read here that Daniel Island is isolated and if the bridge were to "go down" ( I would hope it wouldn't go down, just be shut down) that you're stuck. I lived on James Island long before the James Island Connector was built. Back then, there was essentially one way off/on James Island and if the Wappoo Bridge shut down (for those that don't know, it's a drawbridge and sometimes it malfunctions...gets stuck open). The alternative was to to travel over to Johns Island, then head over to Savannah Hwy, and then head downtown or North Chas or I-26 (no I-526 back then either). Painful detour. James Island, even back then, was much more populated than Daniel Island is today. Bottom line, I wouldn't get hung up over the isolation comments concerning Daniel Island. It's a nice place for those that can afford it.
Were you there after Hugo? When Maybank was toast and the Wappoo Cut was the only way onto the island?

Old 05-06-2014, 07:49 AM

259 posts, read 452,517 times
Hi Tingum!

Got your PM, will answer here so others with similar thoughts might get info too.

No kids here, but having moved from ION to DI the latter definitely wins out kid friendly wise. ION
has families too but DI is a family mecca non pareil, the pools in the summer are kid gridlock lol!

I enjoy DIs serenity and also feel like its near everything. Our single and small Publix can be limiting to some but works for me. Our restaurant scene continues to improve. The stadium gets great concerts and the entire community is very walkable with scenic paths along the Wando.

$$$$$wise its tough to get into the Club side for under a million and there are many more young families on the Park side. Smythe Park on the Park side is full of kids and prices can run from the 5s roughly to the 8k, to a million if you are on the lake or Wando.

Daniel Island is stigmatized and stereotyped as all rich snobs but the reality is more diverse and most folks are quite
friendly.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:44 AM

4 posts, read 5,813 times
Hi Tingum!

I have lived on Daniel Island for 6 years with my husband and 3 children. I can't say enough great things about it. There's always something going on! There's the 4th of July parade, many concerts at FCC, the concert in Smythe Park, and Park day just to name a few! You can be as involved as you wish.

It's hands down the most kid-friendly place I have ever lived. They can hop on their bikes to school, the library, pool, parks etc. You'll find there are many more kids on the south side of the island, which makes for easy impromptu play dates.

It is a unique blend of people from all over. Just love it here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: