Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 06:08 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

North Charleston Performing ARts Center is not much better than a high school theater. It's awful for those Broadway type shows. I think it's good for any music act that might interest you though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 08:48 AM

10 posts, read 16,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
^^^

??? WHAT???

No outdoor venues? The Cistern downtown is awesome! The Mega-theater in Daniel Island could rival any....Hootie and the Blowfish not big enough for you? Willie Nelson? Zack Brown band??

What about North Chas Performing Arts Center? They offer Broadway tour grps. Recent The Wiz and Hairspray... Jazz festival every yr. Bill Cosby, even.

You are missing out big time if you have not seen performances at the Dock Street and the many other theaters around. I have seen MANY shows ON Broadway and the quality of theater here is at times quite comparable. The last show, Gershwin at Folly was magnificent....one of the best I have EVER seen.

Bigger concerts/bands? Since moving here I have seen ads for big bands on Daniel Island and NCHAS center....Saw David Sanborn a few yrs back. Steve Martin and his band.

and Spoleto always offers top names in performing arts. I saw KD Lang, Gregory Porter, Jake Shimabutko (sp) and this year, Kat Edmondson and the artistic banjo player Bela Fleck.

Now what were your complaints again????
I guess when I say outdoor venue, what I really meant is more of a ampitheater in the style of Verizon in Charlotte or Walnut Creek in Raleigh with seats as well as lawn seating. Something big enough to bring bigger acts...mainstream country and Top 40 was along the lines of what I was thinking. Living for few years in Nashville probably spoiled me a bit as you get the small intimate shows as well as the huge 40,000+ stadium concerts.

And the Performing Arts center is not terrible. Went to a concert there a few weeks ago and there's not a bad seat in the house...but it's never going to draw the biggest shows. I'm thinking again of Charlotte where you've got a season worth of all the best off broadways (This past season there was Book of Mormon, Once, Evita, Lion King, Godspell, Rock of Ages, Sleeping Beauty and more.) That's not to say Charleston won't get the occasional show like Wiz and Hairspray, its just not with the regularity of a bigger city.

I do need to take advantage of some of the smaller theaters around for sure, completely agree there. I love the chance to see some great artists and performers in Spoleto, etc. But it would be nice to get some mainstream acts the rest of the year as well.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:51 AM

10 posts, read 16,467 times
Did just see Book of Mormon coming next February to NCPAC however, very cool!

Old 05-09-2014, 09:14 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
Things Charleston is getting big enough to have:

- multi-level children's museum
- zoo (one with elephants and lions)
- amusement park

Old 05-09-2014, 09:41 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
Just like Tmm5689 said, Charleston needs a Ampitheater like Charlotte or Raleigh!! I am sick of going there to see concerts.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:44 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
They can use Riverside Park in North Charleston for that. Just encourage them to fund concerts there.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:53 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Things Charleston is getting big enough to have:

- multi-level children's museum
- zoo (one with elephants and lions)
- amusement park
I could never see an amusement park here. A zoo, definitely. I really miss having a NICE, BIG zoo and aquarium to visit. Pittsburgh had a great one.

As far as amusement parks, anyone been to Cedar Point in Ohio? That's a hard one to beat. I pretty much compare all the amusement parks I go to to that one and there's just no comparison. Just Google Millennium Force and you'll see what I mean.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:57 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Is there any response other than from ohioaninsc which doesn't mention bugs in the list of cons? I'd have to say gnats, mosquitoes and mosquitoes and gnats are my first 3 cons!

My grandmother has lived there since 1987...I guess w/ my numerous visits I've gotten used to bugs there...and they dont' bother me...I see one in the house, it's just automatic that I go ahead and kill it and throw it away...not worth gettign worked up over...and there's a reason you have screened in porches...still enjoy the outside w/out the bugs.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
What is the deal with everyone hating on Ohio?!

It's a legit question. You don't hear people complain as much with people from places like TX, CA, VT, etc.

I just have never understood it.

***sorry this is off topic***
It's BS and offensive...We Ohioans are every bit as welcoming when people come to our state...we work hard, and play hard...I guess that's why that website exists more out of envy probably than anything else, or it was started by some idiot livign w/ his parents because he hasn't accomplished anything worthwhile in life...I mean why else hate on anyone from another part of the country...ps, every state has its whackos.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
I could never see an amusement park here. A zoo, definitely. I really miss having a NICE, BIG zoo and aquarium to visit. Pittsburgh had a great one.

As far as amusement parks, anyone been to Cedar Point in Ohio? That's a hard one to beat. I pretty much compare all the amusement parks I go to to that one and there's just no comparison. Just Google Millennium Force and you'll see what I mean.

To Be fair...no matter what type of place gets built..some where is going to have the best of that...so yes, Cedar Point is far and away the best amusement park in the country, many of the others out thera are good and since the closest one to Charleston is in Charlotte (Carowinds...coincidentally owned by Cedar Fair, the same group who owns Cedar Point) 3 hrs away...I do think a decent one needs to go in somewhere in the Low Country...along w/a good Water Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area