Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 06:15 PM

657 posts, read 738,955 times

Advertisements

My fiancé finally found a job down here so we need a full service moving Company to move out things, as I am already in Chas and she can't lift most of the things herself or drive the uhaul 12 hours. So any recommendations? My company is reimbursing, but don't want to gouge them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 06:26 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®, Movers, Moving Company, Moving Reviews These guys have done my two moves, I'm not sure if they do multi state runs, but they were excellent and they took everything apart, put it back together and zero damage. Very reasonably priced too.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:57 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
Two Men and a Truck does do long distance moves. We used them about a year ago in Asheville when moving my Mom and they were excellent.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:30 AM

117 posts, read 270,618 times
OP-where will the items be moved from? Full service movers charge by weight and miles. Do NOT use All My Sons movers. Had a terrible experience with them. Google them for their bad reviews.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:06 AM

688 posts, read 1,101,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyKB View Post
OP-where will the items be moved from? Full service movers charge by weight and miles. Do NOT use All My Sons movers. Had a terrible experience with them. Google them for their bad reviews.
All My Sons does "dedicated" moves (your stuff is the only stuff on the truck), thus they are more expensive for small to medium sized loads over any distance. I have checked with them for distance moves twice now, and they are at the very high end, for sure, but the "one truck, one load" thing appeals to me, and they can get your stuff to your destination in a day or so, not the weeks that the big van lines can cost you.

What was your "terrible experience" with them? Please just say it here - I am not going to hunt for it on google...but I am curious. If it was the "cost" then I am less sympathetic, because they are very clear about the premium one pays for their dedicated service.

Last edited by Westbound and Down; 05-07-2014 at 11:17 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 11:08 AM

I am interviewing 3 long distance movers over the next day or so for a cross country move, so if I think to do so I will post about it, but the only really valuable review I can give would come after the move, and that may not ever get written...

Old 05-07-2014, 11:18 AM

92 posts, read 208,390 times
We've used Allied for 2 separate full service moves. Both moves included packing and moving but we unpacked boxes ourselves. One of those moves was from FL to SC and the other was a local move in SC. Both times we were pretty happy with the service. My only complaints are minor dings and scratches in a few of the heavier and more cumbersome furniture pieces. Oh and during our second local move, they dropped my washing machine down the last few stairs since we have a second story laundry room. Thankfully my washer was fine and there was no damage. We're moving again in a couple weeks, another local move, and have booked our move again with Allied.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyluv View Post
We've used Allied for 2 separate full service moves. Both moves included packing and moving but we unpacked boxes ourselves. One of those moves was from FL to SC and the other was a local move in SC. Both times we were pretty happy with the service. My only complaints are minor dings and scratches in a few of the heavier and more cumbersome furniture pieces. Oh and during our second local move, they dropped my washing machine down the last few stairs since we have a second story laundry room. Thankfully my washer was fine and there was no damage. We're moving again in a couple weeks, another local move, and have booked our move again with Allied.
The only long distance (1500 mile) move I ever hired a big outfit for was Allied, many moons ago. The service was amazing - the driver, as I understood it at the time he was an independent contractor for Allied - loaded all our stuff by himself, told us to the day when HE would deliver our stuff (he promised our stuff would never leave his truck, and he would see us there), and he fulfilled the promise. Every other move of any distance I have rented the truck and gotten help, or hired people, to load and unload.

For our upcoming 2000 mile move, I am on the fence between renting a truck and just paying someone like Allied to do the whole enchilada, including packing us up (we will unpack). It will depend on the premium over doing it myself...I estimate I can do the move, with hired help, for around $3000, and I am hoping that the big van lines are in the $6k to $8k range...will know in a few days...I wish I wasn't moving in the prime time spring / summer season, and expect to pay a premium for it, but I could not choose the move date - it chose me...

Old 05-07-2014, 12:02 PM

92 posts, read 208,390 times
Westbound, we moved cross country by ourselves a number of years ago. It was a 3,000 mile trip and we packed and drove a rental truck across the country ourselves. We saved a lot of money and it was a very interesting "adventure", but I will never do that ever again!

Old 05-07-2014, 12:05 PM

140 posts, read 279,684 times
We used atlas which was paid for by my company. They wrapped every single item in the house and moved the very next day. No complaints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area