Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 963 times

Advertisements

I was injured at work in February 2013. After the injury I received medical care from the W.C. insurance company doctor. I completed months of the suggested treatment. The treatment given did little to heal my injuries. Nine months after sustaining the injury, I requested a second opinion from the W.C. insurance company and was denied. I subsequently went through my own insurance carrier. My private doctor ran tests and evaluated my situation. I received a written notice from him suggesting I reduce my work days to 3 per week, and immediately gave it to my HR manager. I continued working the hours that my doctor deemed maximum for my physical limitations. I was told by my Company, that my job was a full time position and not part time as deemed appropriate for my physical restrictions. I continued to work only the hours suggested by my doctor and I hired an attorney. Months later, at 3pm while I was working, I was contacted by my attorney with a settlement offer. One condition of the settlement was that I resign my position IMMEDIATELY. I was to leave at the end of my scheduled work day, without saying a word to anyone in the store, including management personnel. I agreed, and 2 hours later clocked out and left the store. I have since filed for unemployment benefits and have been denied. I was not aware that being pressured to resign negated my rights to unemployment benefits. How can I fight this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 10:50 AM

326 posts, read 498,202 times
i'm no expert, but usually when you resign you can't get unemployment since you are the first mover. now if you resigned effective 30 days from notice and your employer accepted the resignation effective immediately then they're the first mover and you get benefits.

i hope the settlement was nice--usually unemployment isn't much to begin with. but the attorney should have advised you appropriately here.

in this case it sounds like you implicitly resigned by not showing back up from work. what does your attorney say?

Old 05-13-2014, 04:21 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Pressured to resign? That was YOUR attorney! Was he work comp atty or just general?

Having worked in the worker comp field for 15 yrs....work-related injuries are not typically covered by private insurance since they are WORK RELATED and the state has the worker's comp in place, paid for by employers, for just such injuries. Unemployment does not apply to WC cases...

To my knowledge:

The treating MD for WC was the one to determine: when you return to work, at what level, and any permanent disability if there is one. If you felt you were released too soon or not at full capacity, that was the time to mention any issues.

Since you have already apparently accepted the deal, not sure what else could be done. Speak with a WORK COMP ATTORNEY or take up with the SC Industrial Commission, the board for Worker's Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson8 View Post
I was injured at work in February 2013. After the injury I received medical care from the W.C. insurance company doctor. I completed months of the suggested treatment. The treatment given did little to heal my injuries. Nine months after sustaining the injury, I requested a second opinion from the W.C. insurance company and was denied. I subsequently went through my own insurance carrier. My private doctor ran tests and evaluated my situation. I received a written notice from him suggesting I reduce my work days to 3 per week, and immediately gave it to my HR manager. I continued working the hours that my doctor deemed maximum for my physical limitations. I was told by my Company, that my job was a full time position and not part time as deemed appropriate for my physical restrictions. I continued to work only the hours suggested by my doctor and I hired an attorney. Months later, at 3pm while I was working, I was contacted by my attorney with a settlement offer. One condition of the settlement was that I resign my position IMMEDIATELY. I was to leave at the end of my scheduled work day, without saying a word to anyone in the store, including management personnel. I agreed, and 2 hours later clocked out and left the store. I have since filed for unemployment benefits and have been denied. I was not aware that being pressured to resign negated my rights to unemployment benefits. How can I fight this?

Old 05-14-2014, 01:30 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
I'm using Fred Reisen at Reisen law firm for my WC case, it's been dragging on for years now and will probably continue to drag on for more years to come, just don't expect quick results, on any results at all, and if you do get something out of the company, look at it as gravy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area